Early Merc. 200, 225 or 250 Opti Issue

Rockfish

Does anyone have an early model Mercury Opti 200, 225, or 250 Parts Motor. The models where the air filter is built into the large flatish plastic cover on top of the motor under the glass cowling. On later models I think the air filter is in a different location. I need part, or all of that plastic cover assembly for my 2001 225 Opti, as a smaller piece is broken out of part of mine which allows air to bypass the air filter screen. This is not something that typically happens so there should be some available on parts motors. I am sure we could work something out, cash, a case of beer or a trade etc. I am in Victoria and fish out of Sooke.

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
rick--give sooke marine a call--he had a customers 225 with a death rattle last fall in there on a stand--customer picked up a new 300---do not know what happened to it--give peter a call---same vintage as ours

rick--give sooke marine a call--he had a customers 225 with a death rattle last fall in there on a stand--customer picked up a new 300---do not know what happened to it--give peter a call---same vintage as ours

Thanks for the tip myknoo. Looking forward to seeing you guys again out at the Marina this summer. I gave Peter a call at Sooke Marine (nice guy by the way) and he did have a parts Opti and found a cover but it does not have the air filter built into it. Unfortunately, it is a 2006, which must be after the change over date to the newer type air filter system.

So anyone out there have an early 200, 225, or 250 Mer Opti parts motor? I believe the cover is the same on all three motors as they are essentially the same motor.

Last edited:
Try RPM in Tofino or APM in Port Alberni; I know Stefan has lots of used merc parts in his warehouse but I don't know how far back of vintage he may have. Can't hurt to ask!

Still looking for the inner early version inside plastic cover for a 200, 225 or 250 Opti, the one with the air filter built into it. Spent some time in the outboard junk yard at Mercury Marine and found a dozen or so of the later version covers lying around in the dirt but none of the older type. If anyone has an early parts motor or plastic cover, please send me a private message.

Back