E-TEC Update

Busterbrown

I have just finished the 4th season on my twin 150hp Evinrude E-TECS and could not be happier. The mains now have 385 hours on them and have pretty much been trouble free.

When I took it in to Lordship Marine for the 300 hour service, they found one injector that was not right so they replaced it under warranty. It was something that was not noticeable to me when runnuing the boat.The only complaint I have with the set up is the cost of the 300 hour service which was just over $2000 for both engines.This included replacement of the very expensive spark plugs and all filters, new impellers and cleaning of the injection system.

After getting over the shock of the 2k invoice I made a comparison to previous ANNUAL service costs when I had a pair of 175hp Mercurys on the boat. The annual cost for that work was just over $1100 for the work, the Evinrude service costs were actually less as it was not due for service untill 3years or 300 hrs
The engines have performed flawlessly. I continue to be amazed at the fuel economy. With the icommand gauge package I know exactly how much fuel I have burned, and can cruise at the most economical speed as the system give immediate liters per hour info. Although I never did figure out how much fuel the Mercury engines burned, I am spending roughly 40% less on fuel than I did in the past for the same amount of hours

When I repowered my boat I was torn between going four stoke or Etec , I am convinced I made the right choice.
Anyone who is looking for new power do your self a service and look at the new etec`s .

Great report thanks. Your boat must really motor with that power on the back

I have 200 hours on my 250HO. So far there has been no problems, except what I think is a linkage problem when going in reverse.
Good to know your 300hr tune up was $2k. I use lordship as well. I may see what the dealer charges across the line where I bought the motor for my own curiousity.

It has been a fantastic motor. I am sure we will be seeing a lot more white motors in the coming years, or the less common dark blue that I run.

Great engines.

Here is a shot of my sexy girl after logging 9 hours of continuous throttle at approx 3900rpm, tanking up @ Petro Can near Bear Cove in Port Hardy.

IMAG0765_1_zps68f935ad.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Last edited by a moderator:
nice motors, nice to hear there has been no problems. Especially after the ficht issues of earlier. Lordship told me $1200 for my 300hrs so 1000/per sounds pretty good. Did they change the impeller?
how do you guys find the noise level? find mine ok, but i thought it would have been a tad quieter
what are your guys top speed?

I had them change both impellers. In the past I would change them annually on my Mercs so after three seasons I was getting nervous, however they were in perfect condition.
I find the noise to be real quiet, especialy at idle . It is sooooo nice to start em up, they seem to fire with 1/4 turn of the flywheel, and zero exhaust smoke.

ya i find them real quiet as well and at idle they barely run, extra low idle. At cruise i thought they be alittle quieter and i guess they are compared to the old. Buster is that a stock hardtop for your trophy? and what is your wot speed/rpm? i was getting 52knts/5600 with stock SS 3 blade

Hey FB, nice boat love the huge back deck space

Thanks, she's got room to move, around 55sqft of open space.
Forgot you had twins and thus a higher cost on the tune up. $1-1200 isn't too bad for parts and labor.

Buster is that a stock hardtop for your trophy? and what is your wot speed/rpm? i was getting 52knts/5600 with stock SS 3 blade

I bought this 2502 Trophy new in 1995 and she came with the hardtop. it was a factory option back then, I believe it was a $7500 option . It seemed like a ton of money back then but I would not be with out it. I can get 54 mph at 5550 rpm. That is way to fast for the hull though as I think the only thing in the water is the props !!!

I struggled with an Evinrude FICHT 150 for 4 years---worst period of outboard ownership for me in my life---you never knew when something would go down and spoil the trip. The best day in my life was when a piece of hot metal came through the cowling and the motor all of a sudden got reaaaal quiet.

It happened about 200 yards from the boat launch---it was nice of her to at least get me home before blowing up.

That cured me of Evinrudes for the rest of my life. Nice to hear Bombardier came in and got the brand back on track, though now with two Hondas hanging off my stern, I'm happy I went the 4-stroke route.

Lots of good outboard brands out there---the key is a consistent maintenance schedule (and making sure you keep them well exercised)

Happy New Year!

I have a 2008 Etec 175hp
Parts
6 Plugs
impeller kit with housing
Fuel flter
Gear case oil
2 new washers for leg oil screws

Cost me 230.00 in parts,I originally bought 8 plugs but returned two do to indexing.

So far the only outboard I have found quieter then then etec are Suzuki's.

No, they were not Optis , they were carburated, smoked like a *******...when I started them up in the morning if there was no wind, it looked like my boat was on fire !!!!

Cost me 230.00 in parts,I originally bought 8 plugs but returned two do to indexing

Did your engine show any trouble codes when you hooked it up the the BRP software?? This process is essential if you want to find a potential issue before it becomes a real problem........... pay now or pay later... but you will pay!!!! Fuel and maintanance are the two cheapest parts of boating !!

Cost me 230.00 in parts,I originally bought 8 plugs but returned two do to indexing

Did your engine show any trouble codes when you hooked it up the the BRP software?? This process is essential if you want to find a potential issue before it becomes a real problem........... pay now or pay later... but you will pay!!!! Fuel and maintanance are the two cheapest parts of boating !!

Yup sure did, shes Golden

Last edited by a moderator:
Back