E-TEC spark plugs

Goathorns

My buddy has an E-tec 75 hp Evinrude. He seems to be going thru a lot of spark plugs, even though the use is minimal. Every time he takes it in for service they get changed, yet if only out 2 times a year, isn't that overkill?
Then the part the really makes him mad, is if the plugs don't screw into the head and line up just so, that you have to put another plug in that will line up perfectly in the combustion chamber. throw that plug away never to be used! any advice to this E-tec owner.

when my plugs do not index properly on one side, they will on the other. do not throw them out. does he mainly troll? trolling a 75 hp will fowl the plugs up. they will not clear if you troll alot of hours before clearing them. i troll from time to time on my 300, even tho ive been told it will troll. it wont, every 4 hours time to go for a rip.

I'll tell buddy what you said and get him to go for a rip every 4 hours. thanx.

Ditto the above. Also, check the manual. Probably calls for change of plugs at the 3 year/300 hour service interval. Ask the tech to comment on the condition of the plugs. If they won't index, they go back in the box for another try. You don't pay for them? Also, try adding the Evinrude carbon guard. I think it helps if you are doing some trolling.

Back