Driving an EV pickup

$118,455 *
+ tax & lic
Here is the price on a lightning I just googled at my local ford store here in Nanaimo. This is 130K out of pocket plus I have to get a charging unit installed at my house. NFW!

I drive 8000km per year. There's no way one of these things would be worth the upgrade for me at this point. My 2015 Ram cost me 35k at a year old and 35000 km on it when I bought it. At this point this truck owes me nothing and any money I have is going straight to the mortgage. When it finally Shitz the bed I'll definitely consider an EV
Most mainlanders drive 8k kms per month!

Most mainlanders drive 8k kms per month!
Most Valley folks do. I have lots of friends that don't even own cars. There's nowhere to park them anyway lol. For those people that live and work in the city proper, we have great transit, evo and lot's of eager Uber drivers.

Most Valley folks do. I have lots of friends that don't even own cars. There's nowhere to park them anyway lol. For those people that live and work in the city proper, we have great transit, evo and lot's of eager Uber drivers.
The cycling infrastructure here is great too. I can get downtown in 15 minutes from my place, all on side streets. I think I put 3000 km on my Jeep and truck combined last year. We probably put about 10,000 km on the Matrix buts that’s mostly from driving up to PG, the island and Kelowna few times to save hundreds on fuel. I’d love the replace the whole fleet with an EV truck eventually.

I got the Platinum F150 power boost in February. Essentially it’s a hybrid that I can get down to 8L per 100km so best of both worlds and no charging required. If you live in the city EV’s are a great idea. Would like to see how they perform up north though with the cold. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be a viable option

$118,455 *
+ tax & lic
Here is the price on a lightning I just googled at my local ford store here in Nanaimo. This is 130K out of pocket plus I have to get a charging unit installed at my house. NFW!
Here's the build sheet on my XLT SR. $72,645 plus taxes. Loads of items standard on XLT Lightning that are options on gas XLT, they're very close in price if you add on all the options to an EcoBoost.

Hard to believe though that trucks cost so much in general. In 2014 I paid $39,000 for a new Silverado 1500 crew with comparable trim level. Now you can drop $108K on a new F150 Limited and still be saddled with the gas and oil change bills.

Attachments

• F-150® Lightning® build sheet.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • F-150® Ecoboost build sheet.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Same here. Never once in my 25 years of driving have I run empty. Non issue…

However $70k for a brand new lightning seems like good bang for the buck. If you drive over 2000km’s per month you’re likely getting a majority, if not all of the payment covered via fuel savings.

Lifetime to date consumption figures from my vehicles (somewhat simplified, not considering cost of oil changes/maintenance or fast charger pricing).

Silverado 1500 crew. 2500 km/month @ 15L/100 km = 375 L = $637 (gas @$1.70/L) to $750 (@$2.00/L)

Lightning XLT SR. 2500 km/month @ 25 kWh/100 km = 625 kWh @ $0.11/kWh = $69

So I'm saving ~$600 a month, depending on gas price. The only question is do I put it toward the finance payment, or use it to justify buying that Zeta 19 project hull plus pod and new power?

Lifetime to date consumption figures from my vehicles (somewhat simplified, not considering cost of oil changes/maintenance or fast charger pricing).

Silverado 1500 crew. 2500 km/month @ 15L/100 km = 375 L = $637 (gas @$1.70/L) to $750 (@$2.00/L)

So I'm saving ~$600 a month, depending on gas price. The only question is do I put it toward the finance payment, or use it to justify buying that Zeta 19 project hull plus pod and new power?
I'm somewhat biased but threads on a Zeta build and continuing your EV one would be fun :)

Somehow need to run a covert sponsored social media influence bot campaign that infiltrates Mrs Sly's feed. Seems to work for Putin and the FF industry.

Get that Zeta!

The cycling infrastructure here is great too. I can get downtown in 15 minutes from my place, all on side streets. I think I put 3000 km on my Jeep and truck combined last year. We probably put about 10,000 km on the Matrix buts that’s mostly from driving up to PG, the island and Kelowna few times to save hundreds on fuel. I’d love the replace the whole fleet with an EV truck eventually.

These are important concepts, cities should be for people above all else, and our cars and other machines come later on the priority list. The cleanest car/truck is the one you don't drive or don't own at all. In the inner city, owning and parking a vehicle becomes as much of a liability as a convenience.

Suburbia is where EV makes the biggest difference. Daily km driven is often above average, and most homes have off street parking so charging is easy and cheap. Plus all those construction pickups and delivery vans/trucks running around that almost never leave metro areas. They rack up big km (and emissions, noise and smog), but are parked every night so don't need huge range; charging is easy and cheap. Looking forward to seeing Ford's eTransit delivery van out there in numbers.

I got the Platinum F150 power boost in February. Essentially it’s a hybrid that I can get down to 8L per 100km so best of both worlds and no charging required. If you live in the city EV’s are a great idea. Would like to see how they perform up north though with the cold. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t be a viable option
On the Northern question, that had been batted about in provincial politics of late. This opinion post appeared in today's TC. Depends on your specific needs of course, but seems viable for in city use there too.

BC is really well served for public chargers compared to many other parts of North America, but you don't see them unless you're looking for them. They're not as large and visible as a gas station. I was surprised to find there are over a dozen locations in Penticton, I had noticed maybe two of them. Now of course I have no need to use them since home charging is convenient and a third of the price. Except for the ones near city hall, because they're 2 hour free parking in a busy part of town.

Just for Schitts and giggles, try downloading the free Plugshare app and look around your area, or the highway routes you use, see what there is. You might be surprised.

Downloaded the app. I’m surprised how many stations there are. For me, it’s the tow to the north island but found stations in Coal Harbour, Woss, the Port’s. Pretty neat honestly. Towing to Fair Harbour, could be a little dicey.

Downloaded the app. I’m surprised how many stations there are. For me, it’s the tow to the north island but found stations in Coal Harbour, Woss, the Port’s. Pretty neat honestly. Towing to Fair Harbour, could be a little dicey.
Charge in Woss. Slow charge on 110V in Fair Harbour over a few days. Or is there no 110 in Fair Harbour?

Last edited:

That’s a no-brainer. Buy the Zeta. From a Zeta owner.

How does one explain this one? "But honey, this isn't two-footitis, I swear!" "So why do it at all?"

Back