DOWNRIGGER WEIGHT RETRIEVER

Like I say I’ve always compensated for this with the finned weights. Just a slight tweak in the fin and they are pulling out from each other. You can gain a lot more separation like this than a few inches at the surface.

The weight retrievers come with a little autocleat so if you fish solo often its easy to get the gear out of the way by just yanking on the rope and cleating it off. Also works well for fetching the clip. You can even install the minicleat on your swivel mount or mounting plate so youre not drilling more holes in your boat.

The weight retrievers come with a little autocleat so if you fish solo often its easy to get the gear out of the way by just yanking on the rope and cleating it off. Also works well for fetching the clip. You can even install the minicleat on your swivel mount or mounting plate so youre not drilling more holes in your boat.
I can definitely see them coming in handy when solo getting the weight and line out of the way for sure. That and I always forget not everyone has the same wing span as I do. I have quite the extended reach lol.

That's how I do it.

You end up grabbing the cord cutting into your fingers especially with 18 lb. plus weights. Save your fingers and money.

You just have to watch out for noobs that like to set their own gear but forget to let the string back out so the D/R line can drop freely. Otherwise sh*t might get broke. I’ve almost been that guy...

I always run line retrievers, I love them. My booms are as far out as possible at all the times. let’s be honest extended downrigger booms look way more bad butt then non extended booms. Kinda like having a lifted truck with a set of 31s and a set of 37s. you may as well run the 37s .

maybe I’m making up for something

ok but in my defense. Longer the booms the more water your covering? And i do have a 3rd rigger down the stern lol.

Well when you tip up you rigger and the ball comes in so does the cable which the line clip is attached to. I rarely run my booms extended out far for me it’s an easy reach to grab the clip line.
100% , works like a charm for me every time, even to get the crap off too !! Nothing to get in the way of the 34 lber your gonna solo catch ( put that in for Rain City hahaha)

let’s be honest extended downrigger booms look way more bad butt then non extended booms. Kinda like having a lifted truck with a set of 31s and a set of 37s. you may as well run the 37s .
Ah C'mon wooly did ya have to throw in the size matters thing again hahaha

I have been running retrievers for a number of years and love em. Good for catching the odd weed but just find it much easier to pull the weight inn to grab the release and it stops the balls from swinging in a rough sea

I screwed the cam cleats to my down riggers, right above the swivel base under the brake handle. Keeps everything together when the riggers get tossed in the cuddy. I believe they make setting gear easier.

works well for when your stacking as well not having to reach out and i do like a wide spread ....
any ways run more gear than you all anyways .....popcorn time ....lol

I screwed the cam cleats to my down riggers, right above the swivel base under the brake handle. Keeps everything together when the riggers get tossed in the cuddy. I believe they make setting gear easier.
That's a great call. It's a pain to disconnect when I throw the puller on.

I have a narrow boat. I used to run 30” booms and we would get gear wrapped up occasionally on tight turns or heavy current or sometimes for no reason at all. I made a set of 44” booms and the tangle problem went away but getting the release clips became an issue. So I started making my release clips on 4 or 5 foot leashes and keeping a dowel with a hook screwed in the end handy. That also doubled as a dehooker. Then I fished on a buddies boat with the retrievers. So easy to grab the retriever line with one hand a walk across the deck and the line stays in place. I made my own out of drilled out electric fence insulators and paracord. Still has to buy the little cleats.

I find my gaff is about the easiest/quickest way to get my Scotty clips. I have jam cleats catchAll left over from rigging my sail boat you can have if your around SVI.

I find my gaff is about the easiest/quickest way to get my Scotty clips. I have jam cleats catchAll left over from rigging my sail boat you can have if your around SVI.
Imagine your gaff weighed a fraction of that though and it was attached to your rigger so it couldn't fall off and you had one on each side so you didn't have to move it around or search for it and it would lock itself in place so you could have two hands free? Imagine that...

Yup I agree. I never run mine all the way out and never get lines crossed unless combat fishing while double stacked on each side and some other boat cuts us off and have to drastically very sharply turn but even that's a rareity as I'm not a fan of fishing close to packs of boats but when just fishing normal even double stacked we don't get lines crossed without extending booms.
For me, the reason why i extend the booms all the way when fishing deep is to prevent the cable from going under the boat and catching my main leg. I've learned from experience in the winter.. No fun.. Not so much an issue if your riggers are mounted far enough back or you're running O/Bs. luckily i have long dangly arms so I can still reach the clip without the puller.

For me, the reason why i extend the booms all the way when fishing deep is to prevent the cable from going under the boat and catching my main leg. I've learned from experience in the winter.. No fun.. Not so much an issue if your riggers are mounted far enough back or you're running O/Bs. luckily i have long dangly arms so I can still reach the clip without the puller.
He's also great at reaching into engine bays. Which reminds me I still need to mount that pump

Back