Downrigger Voltage Question

fishhawk8

Hi all, Not sure if this is an issue or just my good luck. So, I've had my "new to me" boat in the water for the last two months and have been getting out fairly regularly. I caught some springs along the way, but they've all been on my side of the boat:D and my guest(s) have had just one hit where I was positive that it was a salmon.:( I've usually been fishing Sooke, and off of this (guest)rod, I've been running a Betsy gold flasher with a green glow 'chovy teaser or Cop Car Coyote. Depth has been varied beween 60-100 ft on the downriggers. If nothing else, this setup should be getting hit, at least periodically. But nothing like my side where I'm getting hit at least a couple of times per trip. Depending on who the guest is usually determines who's setting up the rods. I've been taking some newbes out lately, where I've been doing the set up, but do have a few friends that fish regularly and I let them work their side.

My question is: Is it probable that the voltage coming off of one side of the boat would be different than the other side? I haven't checked my volts yet, but do intend to in the near future, and haven't heard of this happening. From what I understand, it would be the same on both sides, otherwise a black box would have to differentiate between the two in order to stabalize at the required settings. I could be wrong, and I just don't know for sure.

Or maybe I could just put out something on their side that works.;):D

Thanks,
'Hawk

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Hi Hawk. I have had similar experiences like yours and I dont think there is any link. One year 80% of my fish came off the starboard rod, the next year it was the port side. I have no idea why but a guide once told me that 80% of his fish came off of one line. It is one of those quirks that makes fishing so hard to figure out sometimes.

Lucky side perhaps ;)
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

Voltage from one side of the boat to the other may differ by a couple of thousandths of a volt. Nothing that you will be able to notice. What I have found is depending on location and direction one rod will take more hits than another even when dragging the same tackle at the identical depth. Switch rods from side to side and sometimes you lose all the bites and sometimes the action swaps over.
I suspect that minor differences in length of leader or bend in the flasher gives a different action and fish are just naturally attracted to it.

I've have very similar experience. Many times, One side simply out-fishes the other: I've even gone so far as to put the exact same rig on the rods, and even switch rods. One side just works while the other does not.
Go figure.

That's why they call it fishing.... not catching.

it might also depend on whether your doing on big circle trolling or a figure 8, i find the outside rod on turns just about always gets hits over the inside, but i find that no matter what way i turn, so both rods get action almost equal in my boat, well sorta, if my buddys are with me my rod always gets more action, lol ;)

Check your voltage and check your zincs (what side are they on).

Also, because your boat prop walks your boat to the right most have a tendency to turn slightly to the left when trolling...believe it or not...and are constantly correcting their course.
Most fish will also react to any change, up / down or left / right.
As for hitting fish on your outside rod on a turn, you've just sped up your gear relative to the inside and changed direction.

But it's also possible, being that you are a good host, that you gear up your guests rig first and wash your hands clean of all that testosterone by the time you gear up YOUR rod, thereby ensuring "your" good luck.

Or none of the above.

boc

Hi all, thanks for all the informative opinions.

Understand all the issues related to a turn, re: increased speeds/depths etc. and the adjustments one might want to make if a hit was to come at that point. I didn't notice anything outta the ordinary and most of the hits have come on a straight tack.

I think I'll try loading up the other side with what I've been using and see if they get into some fish.

Worst case scenario is I get to catch all the fish and my guests pay for my gas/bait/launch, etc.[:0]

Just kidding of course[8D],
it's really only half the costs.:D

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

Back