downrigger set up (braided Line to Mono)

Someone mentioned using a commercial trolling snap instead of the snap swivel that comes with the scotty stacker. So, a long tether from snap to scotty clip, and a short tether from snap to the other scotty clip which clips above the snap on the cable/braid. It should slide down when the clip hits the pulley. I got a wack of those snaps so will be trying it. At the least one can easily unclip rather play around with the little swivel.

http://www.seattlemarine.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=4183&idcategory=0

there may be better quality swivels , think the wear and tear , bouncing , pulling , banging etc ,eventually opens them up , a simple tie up like SharpHooks post seems easier , less ta worry about breakin , i use 15lbers , and put alot of hours on them,

m2b

i am switching over next outting....

fd
Yes rethinking the way I did mine and think I will redo them with Sharphooks Al-bright knot in stead of the swivel. Double up the tuna line so it is just one long lop and thread the lop though the eye on the ball and than drop the ball though the lop, no hook just the lop.

Anyone built their own stacker clips? would be interested to see and hear how they work. Tried a couple of the Scotty stackers and noticed they didn't always drop off the line and drop down every time. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Bought a Scotty one end of last year and only used it a couple times, but it worked fine for me. This year I'm going to make my own and also some more clips. Bought all the stuff to make my own last year. Way, way cheaper to make them yourself and you can make them any length you want.

Hi Topcheese, I am sure you got your answer but here is how I set my downrigger up with braid line and when retrieved it pulls everything out of the water all at once, the swivel is used to stop the electric retrieval. Here is I go about it;

Tie the ball swivell (2/0) directly to the braid
Take Halibut line and run it threw the ball swivell (opposite the side tied to the swivell) for about 5' , so you have two ends
Retrieve the braid until the swivell stops the retrieveal of the braid
now you have two equal tines running threw the down rigger pully
Cut about six inches below the rigger pully
Now release the braid line until you can tie the looped Halibut line (threw the swivel)
Now attach your clip to one end of the Halibut line and ball clip to the other

Here are some pics;

DownriggerPic.jpg

Swivel-DR.jpg

SetUp-DS.jpg

Ballsetup-DS.jpg

Hope it helps you or anyone else, it works great for me especiall when fishing solo and connecting one like to each downrigger , one retrieval gets everything out of the way !!

Clint

o ya I should have sent this pic to but could only send 4 per post so I had to send this separate

toclipDR.jpg

Clint

Hi Topcheese, I am sure you got your answer but here is how I set my downrigger up with braid line and when retrieved it pulls everything out of the water all at once, the swivel is used to stop the electric retrieval. Here is I go about it;

Tie the ball swivell (2/0) directly to the braid
Take Halibut line and run it threw the ball swivell (opposite the side tied to the swivell) for about 5' , so you have two ends
Retrieve the braid until the swivell stops the retrieveal of the braid
now you have two equal tines running threw the down rigger pully
Cut about six inches below the rigger pully
Now release the braid line until you can tie the looped Halibut line (threw the swivel)
Now attach your clip to one end of the Halibut line and ball clip to the other

Hope it helps you or anyone else, it works great for me especiall when fishing solo and connecting one like to each downrigger , one retrieval gets everything out of the way !!

Clint

you can loose the swivel just tie the down rigger braid to a formed loop in the gangion
the loop is enough to knock off the auto stop

one less thing to fail and second on getting rid of the scotty weight clip as well they open up = lost ball

Hey Wildthing , good suggestion on getting rid of the bead but if u get rid of the scotty clip, what do u suggest to use ? I like the option of removing it now and then .

Hi AIK,
I'll ask u the same thing as wildthing , What if anything do u use now in place of scotties clip ?

Hey Wildthing , good suggestion on getting rid of the bead but if u get rid of the scotty clip, what do u suggest to use ? I like the option of removing it now and then .

i use a big costal lok swivel even scotty sell they but go pnt or nikka etc
so you can still take them on or off

i had the plastic clip open up and lost ball think even had the one with the fin break so don't use then any more

if the ball's going to hit bottom and drag you want to know about it

hence the bell's tip
wonder if scotty would do a multi color braid line every 20-25' or so as my line counters playing up now
that would help

i use a big costal lok swivel even scotty sell they but go pnt or nikka etc
so you can still take them on or off

i had the plastic clip open up and lost ball think even had the one with the fin break so don't use then any more

if the ball's going to hit bottom and drag you want to know about it

hence the bell's tip
wonder if scotty would do a multi color braid line every 20-25' or so as my line counters playing up now
that would help

I'm with ya Wildthing on the above . I have never had a broken plastic scotty from retrieving only, But when I was caught on the rocks 120' down I would rather loose the plastic clip (and ball which I would have anyway) rather than 120' of braid or possibly damaged the downrigger.

Great Idea about the color braid , like it !

Clint

X2 that is why I no longer use the plastic clip.

Sir-vivor,
Instead of the plastic clip I use a snubber with a stainless snap. (Scotty Part number 371).

wildthing,
I do like the bell idea.

snubber

Great ideas guys! I use a snubber because I don't like the stress of the ball on the boom when the water is rough and the whole set up is bouncing up and down like a yo-yo. I like the idea of a swivel at the branch point (for ball and clip lines) that'll trigger the auto stop.

With the swivel, snubber, and plastic clip, there's a bigger chance too that you're going to pick up cabbage and kelp. I like the streamlined approach, braid and release clip leader tied to a loop in the cord and the ball tied to the end of the cord. The only drawback here would be if you frequently like to detach the ball for whatever reason.

As far as the ball detachment goes, if you just tie or leave a large loop you can thread the loop though the eye of the ball and than drop the ball back though the loop. This way there is no hardware to worry about and you can still remove the ball whenever you want.

hence the bell's tip. wonder if scotty would do a multi color braid line every 20-25' or so as my line counters playing up now. that would help

I'm not sure if Scotty will but some companies pay for brilliant suggestions - those are two low-tech solutions that I'd sure go for! The Scotty line counters are not the best. I tag my anchor line with bits of synthetic crochet yarn or wool (left overs from my needle-work projects - yeah right! :rolleyes:) threaded through: black @25', white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple @ 200'. (rainbow spectrum so it's easy to remember)

While waiting for different colored braid, try a black permanent marking pen to color the braid. It will wear off over time, but easily re-done. Pick the depth you want it to indicate.

Back