downrigger set up (braided Line to Mono)

Topcheese

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just switched my downriggers over to the braided line. Last year I watched "sportsfishing BC" they were at a lodge on Haida Gwaii. Maybe Peregrine or something, anyway the guide had a pretty sweet set up with the last few feet of the downrigger line being heavy mono, as well as the clip being permanently attached to the set up so u never really unclip it (or loose it).

I can't find the show anywhere to see how exactly he rigged it up. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to do it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Attachments

• DSC_0778.jpg
    DSC_0778.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,069
Saw the same episode and tried it out last year...I found it to be pretty slick. You just tie a swivel to the braid, then tie heavy mono to the swivel leaving two equal lengths of mono. A black Scotty clip is tied to one and a canon ball clip to the other. If you get the lengths right, the ball and clip stop right at the end of your boom leaving nothing dangling down to get in the way while netting...and you never lose another clip.
I don't think he actually used a swivel, just tied a loop in the mono then tied the braid to the loop, but I was worried about the braid cutting the mono so used a swivel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have braided line on my riggers (Love It!!!) then there is a large swivel that is the stop for the auto. Below the swivel is a thin rope like tuna cord this is about 200lbs test that is pretty tough then a rubber snubber and a plastic clip to the cannon ball.

Has anyone tried this set up with downrigger cable or am I the only one doing it with cable ?
I just crimp a loop and attach the mono to the loop and thats it ..... key is to make sure Mono is short enough to be out of the water when retreived and you have some stop before the mono gets eaten up (but the tied mono or cable loop is usually enough to trigger the elect downrigger stop but I set a couple of beads just before).

Was the guy on the tv show using braid line ?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great advice, I wasn't sure what he used to connect the braid to the mono. Swivel sounds good to me just wasn't sure how it worked as a
stop? like when it comes over the pulley? Did you find it was smooth if you used a small enough swivel? What are your thoughts about the swivel going back and forth over the pulley multiple times? you don't think it will wear on the pulley or weaken the swivel after a while?

yeah "sir-vivor" he was using braid.

Just wondering....... What is the point of having the mono on the downrigger if you are using braid?

Heavy mono or tuna cord/gangion acts as a 'leader' for your ball. Plus the heavy swivel acts as a non-moving shut-off in all scenarios. Once you get used to this set-up you will be a convert.
I would not reccommend attaching your clip as in the 'pro segment' or, if you do have an alternative system ready. Where those guys fish is laiden with kelp and other hazards where, that system could be prone to spinning your boat.
With the gangion your line clip has very little leeway as far as slippage goes.
There is one safety system that was employed at 'the Lodge' that I got used to... when you build your clip leader, leave a tag end and attach a westcoast snap that can free float up and down the line if the line clip comes off the d/rigger main. Did not care for it until it worked.

also check back on a thread titled downrigger tips
was lots of good post and i think there is a piccy or two of what your after

i went braid loop to loop gangion( 60" or so) to big coastal lok swivel to cannon ball
6' long 200lb mono scotty release clip is off- link clipped onto small eye on fin of ball

that is my set up no beads needed and can be changed out quite quick if needs unless a total loss....lol

Here is how I set mine up. Thinking that I may change it up my clip a bit and put a Coast Lock Swivel on the end of the mono and run it right off the ball. I make all my clips anyway so it's not a problem. Going to make a couple of those staking clips next time I'm in the boat.

Attachments

• DSCF3653.jpg
    DSCF3653.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 483
  • DSCF3654.jpg
    DSCF3654.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 904
  • DSCF3656.jpg
    DSCF3656.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 573
  • DSCF3657.jpg
    DSCF3657.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 505
  • DSCF3659.jpg
    DSCF3659.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 479
the swivels have eventually failed ,yes mine were large ,
over time , they broke ,constant pressure will eventually break them in 2 ,l lost 2 x 15lbers last year because of this , i am going to try losing the swivel , im pretty sure the knot transition from braid tied directly to gagnon is big enuff to act as ur auto stop , pretty sure i read that someone on this forum has had good success with this , my theory , less parts is better ...

fd

I'm with FD on this one--using a swivel seems to be an invitation for a lost downrigger ball. Sooner or later, either the swivel breaks or the knot in the braid gets fatigued from chaffing on the swivel eye, especially when it gets a bit of corrosion going on.

Based on a post by Is. Fish Lifter a year or so ago, I chucked the swivel idea and went to a knot ---- downrigger braid knotted direct to a 2 meter length of gangion. The finished knot is burly enough to act like a Scotty stopper and hasn't failed yet.

I use an Albright Knot (yellow = braid; orange = gangion or mono)

ALBRIGHTKNOT.jpg

This knot would also work bending mono to braid, but you might be better off tying the braid to a loop held in place with a crimp. If you want to see some really creative alternative knots that can be used with braid, check out some of the Australian kite fishing sites.

sharp hooks

that will work

i used a 3 overhands and then just pulled it up tight wetted and teased down
on both the scotty braid and the 265lb gangion joined loop to loop in fact the overhand loop in the braid knocks the auto stop off which is about 6" ahead of the gangion knot

so no stopper beads what so ever , even no snubber i run bell's on the end of the boom so when it dangles iam starting to hit bottom and a quick up gets me away with it most of the time

scottys do have a slipping clutch it you know how to set it if you do ever get hung up

but it's pot luck and a bit of backing up and try pull it back from the opposite direction you got stuck in most time you will get it back
stops you fishing but you get your gear back

sharp hooks

that will work

i used a 3 overhands and then just pulled it up tight wetted and teased down
on both the scotty braid and the 265lb gangion joined loop to loop in fact the overhand loop in the braid knocks the auto stop off which is about 6" ahead of the gangion knot

so no stopper beads what so ever , even no snubber i run bell's on the end of the boom so when it dangles iam starting to hit bottom and a quick up gets me away with it most of the time

scottys do have a slipping clutch it you know how to set it if you do ever get hung up

but it's pot luck and a bit of backing up and try pull it back from the opposite direction you got stuck in most time you will get it back
stops you fishing but you get your gear back

But what do you attach your cannonballs to? Those Scotty plastic clips pop cvery easily if you hang up (and have been criticised on this forum for that reason). If on the other hand you attach with some fancy metal clip and you do hang up you risk losing a lot of cable or braid and/or damaging your downrigger. Can't win either way so I stick with Scotty plastic clips and resign myself to losing cannon balls on hang ups.

englishman i use the big costal lok to attach the cannon balls from the gangion

AS i stated i run bells on the end of arms of the down riggers if i start to hit bottm the bells jingle before i lok up

if i do i hit bottom and snag, i back up and usually get the ball free end up having to reset everything but not losing gear

tip don't drag your balls along the bottom.....lol

the swivels have eventually failed ,yes mine were large ,
over time , they broke ,constant pressure will eventually break them in 2 ,l lost 2 x 15lbers last year because of this , i am going to try losing the swivel , im pretty sure the knot transition from braid tied directly to gagnon is big enuff to act as ur auto stop , pretty sure i read that someone on this forum has had good success with this , my theory , less parts is better ...fd

Nice rig! Does anyone use the Gamakatsu SPro heavy-duty swivels for this?
#410649 - 13/16" rated for 380 Lbs; #410650 7/8" 560 Lbs; #410651 1" 860 Lbs; #410652 1 1/8" 1030 Lbs; #410653 1 3/16" 1320 Lbs ~$8 - $15 for 4 pack

Anyone built their own stacker clips? would be interested to see and hear how they work. Tried a couple of the Scotty stackers and noticed they didn't always drop off the line and drop down every time. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Back