Downrigger installation help

RevyFisher

Finally replacing the Cannon downrigger with a Scotty but the Scotty base plate is slightly larger and it won't fit between the trim running down both sides of the gunnel on my 19' Smokercraft Ultima. I can place it equally over both trim but then have a small gap under the plate with all the pressure on the trim or go to the inside so it's just on the one trim? If I go to the outside I'll be over the lip mounting the outside screws through that lip exposing it on the underside on the outside of the boat?

Also how the heck do you get inside the gunnel to place the piece of backing?

I hate the fact there's already 8 holes in it from the Cannon and now I have to add more. If I use two of the existing ones I have to go either on the inside of the trim or the outside trim but at least it's less holes.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Over Cannon plate.jpg
    Over Cannon plate.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Split over trim.jpg
    Split over trim.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Over inside trim.jpg
    Over inside trim.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Over outside trim.jpg
    Over outside trim.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Lip of boat.jpg
    Lip of boat.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Finally replacing the Cannon downrigger with a Scotty but the Scotty base plate is slightly larger and it won't fit between the trim running down both sides of the gunnel on my 19' Smokercraft Ultima. I can place it equally over both trim but then have a small gap under the plate with all the pressure on the trim or go to the inside so it's just on the one trim? If I go to the outside I'll be over the lip mounting the outside screws through that lip exposing it on the underside on the outside of the boat?

I hate the fact there's already 8 holes in it from the Cannon and now I have to add more. If I use two of the existing ones I have to go either on the inside of the trim or the outside trim but at least it's less holes.

Thanks for any advice.
lets see a pic revy

Thanks for any advice.
Pic should be able to find the best spot for you.

Why not use the existing Cannon holes for a wooden base plate then put the Scotty on top of that? You could use plywood or solid lumber. You could also use some 1/2 aluminum if you have some or access to some.

You could also use stainless or aluminum tubing of a proper thickness. 3"x2" or 4"x2". Fasten using the Cannon holes then install the Scotty on top. You'd go thru the tubing with the bolt not having to go through the gunnel.

Why not use the existing Cannon holes for a wooden base plate then put the Scotty on top of that? You could use plywood or solid lumber. You could also use some 1/2 aluminum if you have some or access to somI

Why not use the existing Cannon holes for a wooden base plate then put the Scotty on top of that? You could use plywood or solid lumber. You could also use some 1/2 aluminum if you have some or access to some.
If I understand you correctly I was hoping to do that but the Scotty plate is larger as seen in the first pic. I could use two of the holes but then the other two will either have to be off one side or the other and also not sure how strong that plastic Scotty base will be if it's not supported underneath those two screws and whether the plastic will crack under stress. I do like the idea of using existing base and plate as its secure and solid.

If you don't mind filling the existing holes and drilling some new ones, you could go with the mounting system that Wolf developed, which is what is on my boat. Get a piece of heavy Al. Plate and have it bent into a U shape. Then you mount it with heavy bolts through both sides of the gunnel using backing plates inside for a lot of surface area against the glass for extra strength or use large washers. Then mount the rigger on the flat top side. Strong as hell and looks good.

I would do as Rockfish suggests, fill the holes, caulking, fiberglass, whatever. Install the Scotty plate either as it is on pic #2 or add a 1/4" spacer of aluminum plate. Redrill the scotty holes add some backing on the underside, done.
Another solution is drill new holes in the scotty plate to conform to the Cannon holes.

Reuse the holes for sure bolts on the outside isnt a big deal. you could even mark where the other two holes are and drill the scotty for 1 for added strength so youre using 3 out of 4 holes. Lot of good ideas here. Overbuild it.

Use the cannon plate as your spacer, drill new holes in your Scotty plate centered between the rails, use large fender washers or preferably an aluminum backer larger than the new holes on the underside caulk this in after test fit. If your using a swivel mount lay the holes out spaced so it doesn’t make contact with the inside of the mount. Caulk it all down nicely and your good to go.

Use the cannon plate as your spacer, drill new holes in your Scotty plate centered between the rails, use large fender washers or preferably an aluminum backer larger than the new holes on the underside caulk this in after test fit. If your using a swivel mount lay the holes out spaced so it doesn’t make contact with the inside of the mount. Caulk it all down nicely and your good to go.
Went with your suggestion and drilled holes in the Scotty base plate so i could re-use the existing Cannon holes. Figured if it weakened or cracked the Scotty base plate it would be cheap enough to buy another and try one of the other suggestions. Turns out the Cannon plates are solid aluminum so the Scotty plate is securely fastened and whole downrigger setup seems rock solid when I pulled on it.

Thanks everyone such a helpful community!!!

As long as you have good backing underneath you should have no issues. Check your bolts after the first day and snug them up and then every once and awhile after glad it worked out.

Back