Downrigger getting tired?

I'll try slackening the nyloc first, we're fishing tomorrow at Becher. If the same afterwards I'll get a circuit breaker/motor gasket and replace it. I might even take the thing in but bad time of year for putting fishing on hold even for a week, right?
When I adjust mine I hang the cannon ball on the rigger in the driveway and adjust the nut so when I pull on the cannon ball with about 20 lbs pressure the spool turns. Kind of like setting the tension on your reel. This will help if you ever hang up on something as the line will spool out and not snap off your ball

When I adjust mine I hang the cannon ball on the rigger in the driveway and adjust the nut so when I pull on the cannon ball with about 20 lbs pressure the spool turns. Kind of like setting the tension on your reel. This will help if you ever hang up on something as the line will spool out and not snap off your ball
I believe the factory setting for a new Scotty is around 40 pounds but I always set mine lighter too for the same reason as FB.

I'll try slackening the nyloc first, we're fishing tomorrow at Becher. If the same afterwards I'll get a circuit breaker/motor gasket and replace it. I might even take the thing in but bad time of year for putting fishing on hold even for a week, right?
Let us know how you make out. Good luck fishing.

You can use 30 amp (recommended) but if you use your power source for your prawn puller they like 40 amp or more. I always use a 40 amp fuse.
Maybe the Brutus puller needs 40 amps, but the Scotty trap puller install guide says to use 30. After all, it's the same housing and motor used in the 2106 riggers. I've blown a 30A fuse just once using the trap puller, and that was my fault. In general use with two 24 x 24 traps, it's been solid with 30 amps. Not a good idea to exceed manufacturer specs on circuit breakers or fuses.

Disassemble the male and female Marinco plug and socket. Any corrosion on the wires creates more resistance and causes problems.

Maybe the Brutus puller needs 40 amps, but the Scotty trap puller install guide says to use 30. After all, it's the same housing and motor used in the 2106 riggers. I've blown a 30A fuse just once using the trap puller, and that was my fault. In general use with two 24 x 24 traps, it's been solid with 30 amps. Not a good idea to exceed manufacturer specs on circuit breakers or fuses.
Circuit breakers on downriggers trip before the fuses so there’s an early warning sign if too much juice is being used. Yes I run the Brutus with the bigger US motor so it needs more power. I actually have 50 amp installed in one of my boats as it’s a heavy boat and sometimes the gear pulls harder than I like it too.

Keeping the boat over top of the trap string help reduce load, on a day with a lot of surface drift the puller motor is essentially trying to pull the boat toward the traps.

Theres a good chance that its popping due to resistance, because of corrosion somewhere. Usually plug area.

My riggers get a lot of use each season. In the off-season I replace all the heavy use parts, changing the roller, brakes, springs etc. Clean up all the plates, and inspect the motors and electrical relays. Occasionally find that water can get into the internal component area past the seal - so good to check that each season, clean the seal and put her back together. Lately been getting warping to the spool, probably related to increasing line capacity to 400 feet of braid, so I might try the after-market aluminum spools this coming season. Anyone have experience with them willing to share reports on how they stood up for you? Are they worth the $ investment?

+1 to circuit breaker and/or relay. I've had the same problem twice in past few years and replacing both was the cure. Best to just replace both at the same time since you're going to take motor out to replace either part, and the parts are cheap/free at scotty parts counter. Takes about 30 minutes, biggest challenge is stuffing everything back into place -- a bit of a puzzle due to tight space. Totally a DIY job.

My riggers get a lot of use each season. In the off-season I replace all the heavy use parts, changing the roller, brakes, springs etc. Clean up all the plates, and inspect the motors and electrical relays. Occasionally find that water can get into the internal component area past the seal - so good to check that each season, clean the seal and put her back together. Lately been getting warping to the spool, probably related to increasing line capacity to 400 feet of braid, so I might try the after-market aluminum spools this coming season. Anyone have experience with them willing to share reports on how they stood up for you? Are they worth the $ investment?

We get warped and cracked spools all the time. At least once or twice a year I'm replacing spools. Long time ago when we only fished 15lb balls, I would occasionally see a busted spool after getting snagged up or maybe just from long term abuse. I've just noticed that once we went to 20lb balls the spools don't even last one season for us. Like you, I've considered the aluminum spools. Expensive though. I've been also considering wrapping the spool with rubber first, or somthing to allow a little cushion for the line on the spool. Tough to spend almost a grand for aluminum spools without exploring other options when spare scotty spools are relatively easy to get and inexpensive

Maybe a guy wpuld have to phone them or ask some questions. Eveytime I've looked, it says out of stock

Last edited:
I'm now running 18's as standard equip, in concert with 400 feet of braid - never really occurred to me that increasing the ball by few pounds could make that much difference - but on reflection you make a good point. Thinking its time to invest to avoid the headaches of changing spools mid-season. Hoping they work as good as advertised.

there ready to go for u now :) got a pair for my new pair of 2106s also :) :)
Next cracked spool and I'm doing this.

We get warped and cracked spools all the time. At least once or twice a year I'm replacing spools. Long time ago when we only fished 15lb balls, I would occasionally see a busted spool after getting snagged up or maybe just from long term abuse. I've just noticed that once we went to 20lb balls the spools don't even last one season for us. Like you, I've considered the aluminum spools. Expensive though. I've been also considering wrapping the spool with rubber first, or somthing to allow a little cushion for the line on the spool. Tough to spend almost a grand for aluminum spools without exploring other options when spare scotty spools are relatively easy to get and inexpensive

Maybe a guy wpuld have to phone them or ask some questions. Eveytime I've looked, it says out of stock

I started using a few wraps of duct tape around the spool and it seems to help.

Back