Downrigger fire

I had a fuse, but it didn't blow (at least initially until the fire started; I'll have to check before getting a new rigger going). And I don't have a battery switch; is that more of an inboard thing? My boat does get through the winter with very little use and the battery doesn't run down. The riggers are 18 years old, and I did replace the motor in the other one last year; looks like I probably should have pulled apart the other one at the time as it clearly was a mess in there too.

I don't think it's an issue having power supply direct to the battery.
I'm going to start unplugging riggers when finished. No power to them means little opportunity for fire.

I had a fuse, but it didn't blow (at least initially until the fire started; I'll have to check before getting a new rigger going). And I don't have a battery switch; is that more of an inboard thing? My boat does get through the winter with very little use and the battery doesn't run down. The riggers are 18 years old, and I did replace the motor in the other one last year; looks like I probably should have pulled apart the other one at the time as it clearly was a mess in there too.
A battery switch is a good idea for both inboards and outboards and boats of all sizes.

I am surprised the fuse didn’t blow. glad you caught the issue in time to save the boat.

newer or old style plug's???? i have my HP's on 30 amp circut breakers many moons ago we nearly had a fire due to the old style hella plugs

After a days fishing, I always remove my downriggers and lock them in the boat after washing everything. I would never leave them on the boat overnight, unless boat is docked at some campsite and going fishing in the morning. I am sure they would grow a set of legs.

Shouldnt , but it does unfortunately !!! ,

ive seen it time to time over the past 20 or so years in the trade , motors are made out of a very thin winding wire, in a nutshell, usually only rated for appx 5 amps or less , protected with a very thin layer of a non Conductive Insulation Coating , when this wire gets heated up ,it eventually fails , and now you have a lower amperage winding short curcuit , , insulation is toast , the fuse is to large to protect this short , the fuse is based on the total amps this motor draws under normal working ampacity Unfortunately , windings are the weak spot in a motor, when she heats up it only takes 10 or so amps to cause a serious problem in the winding ,can be very unpredictable , i see it in factories we service , the conductors feeding the motors are fine , the motor just goes into self destruct mode , happens on alternators on vehicles as well , Scary stuff for sure , some serious toxic black smoke.......

Im not a Motor Engineer by any means , but thats the jist of the issue imo , what ive been taught...makes sense to me lol...

Unplug when Not In Use on a trip , or storing for periods of time ...
weve all been lucky so far....

Last edited:
Shouldnt , but it does unfortunately !!! ,

ive seen it time to time over the past 20 or so years in the trade , motors are made out of a very thin winding wire, in a nutshell, usually only rated for appx 5 amps or less , protected with a very thin layer of a non Conductive Insulation Coating , when this wire gets heated up ,it eventually fails , and now you have a lower amperage winding short curcuit , , insulation is toast , the fuse is to large to protect this short , the fuse is based on the total amps this motor draws under normal working ampacity Unfortunately , windings are the weak spot in a motor, when she heats up it only takes 10 or so amps to cause a serious problem in the winding ,can be very unpredictable , i see it in factories we service , the conductors feeding the motors are fine , the motor just goes into self destruct mode , happens on alternators on vehicles as well , Scary stuff for sure , some serious toxic black smoke.......

Im not a Motor Engineer by any means , but thats the jist of the issue imo , what ive been taught...makes sense to me lol...

Unplug when Not In Use on a trip , or storing for periods of time ...
weve all been lucky so far....

huh. interesting. i have a genny on board not a downrigger. should probably hook it up to a switch instead.

huh. interesting. i have a genny on board not a downrigger. should probably hook it up to a switch instead.
little different , your genny is only running when your onboard im guessing , you would see or smell the problem hopefully , im not sure the protocol on having your genny inspected on boats?? . I personally would want to have the proper fire extinguisher to deal with an electrical situation. Fires on the water are not what we want to deal with , usually doesnt end well im thinkin

stay safe....

little different , your genny is only running when your onboard im guessing , you would see or smell the problem hopefully , im not sure the protocol on having your genny inspected on boats?? . I personally would want to have the proper fire extinguisher to deal with an electrical situation. Fires on the water are not what we want to deal with , usually doesnt end well im thinkin

stay safe....
yeah the genny is not running but is wired in to the battery system. i.e. electronics are energized even if the generator motor is not turning.
i have an electrical fire extinguisher on board. idk if the windings on the alternator are energized since the genny electronics are always powered on.

Were they under load at the time, or was it just a short that happened?
could of been a short but issue was the connectors plug socket not the rigger itself ........ in fact this first time i ever heard of a rigger going up in smokes flames due to the motor burning up ..... yikes

I, like many on this forum, have a battery switch. It is turned off before I leave the boat or put it on the trailer after every fishing trip! Not only does this avoid battery drain and possible fires it cuts down on electrolysis.
I do the same and actually fried the wash down pump overnight when I forgot to switch it off at the helm. Woke up in the morning to the sound of the Jabsco pump whining, a $200 mistake so the Perko is always set to off when not in the boat to hopefully avoid more mistakes.

Back