Downrigger clip question

I've been using Suffix 832 braid for about 6 years now as my main line. I run 50#, then 40# florocarbon as a tag line (40 or so feet). You want to attach the scotty clip only to the mono...never the braid. Several reasons.

1. Braid is slippery and the clip will release
2. Braid is also very hard, and when you run into big chinooks that pull hard it will bury the line in the clip and it will cut through and never release...busted a few fish before realizing the cause.

Why use braid as your main line...here are the reasons:

1. Very little stretch - especially helpful setting the hook when fishing deep
2. Braid lasts about 4 seasons before you need to change it, unlike mono...which I changed at least once, possibly twice a season (I do a lot of trips/season)
3. Braid is super sensitive, and as stated by another poster you can see the bites way easier

I've been hard core salt water fishing now for 41 years or so, and never seen a line better than Suffix 832.

X2 on the suffix 832. I have 3 seasons on it now and no sign of needing to change.

Another personal observation I am noticing is that it seems to be easer to remove the awesome spring algae than mono.

Also if you get the high vis green and spool it on top of some red or orange backing it looks cool . Lol.

X2 on the suffix 832. I have 3 seasons on it now and no sign of needing to change.

Another personal observation I am noticing is that it seems to be easer to remove the awesome spring algae than mono.

Also if you get the high vis green and spool it on top of some red or orange backing it looks cool . Lol.
How are yor removing the algae?

How are yor removing the algae?

For the most part I lower the Rod tip, dip the line in water (not rod tip) and rip it up fast and hard. I do it while reeling in wen checking line.

Don’t get it all off, but surprisingly quite a bit.

Light braid can cause clip release and slippage but there is also another cause. I suspect many know this but one of the significant causes of release clip slippage/unplanned releases is Suntan Lotion. That stuff is designed to be water resistant/proof and clingy and is very slippery to facilitate rubbing it on. Once you contaminate your line and release clip pads it is near impossible to get rid of. You can even cross contaminate from one rod set up to another if the pads get a lot on them. Unfortunately some of us Northern European types need it when spending a lot of time on the water in the summer. Sometimes using the spay on type helps decrease the likelihood of contamination a bit as there is less of it on your hands when you are grabbing the line and putting it in the clips.

Back