DownImaging/Downscan - worth the extra $$?

RogersonCrusoe

Hi - seeking some advice!

It's come time to upgrade my ancient Humminbird Matrix fishfinder with a GPS/Sonar combo. I am looking at the Humminbird Helix 5 series, and notice there is a DownImaging (DI) model for an extra $130 (300 vs 430 on Amazon).

http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-SONAR-GPS/
vs.
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/HELIX-5-DI-GPS/

I am wondering if anyone is using the Downimaging tech (or Downscan by Lowrance), and if you found that is was worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Ive got DownImaging and never find the need to use it, I use SideImaging when searching for schools of to each side or Sturgeon fishing the river.

Hi RogersonCrusoe,

I have the HDS 12 with down imaging. That's a tuff question as everyone values money different. What I can say it does work good in less then a 100ft of water. I think it is more intented for fresh water, I could be wrong. What I can say is that I can see what side of the boat a school of fish is on when zoomed out then narrow it in from there. Works really well when fishing Sockey. You have to learn to change the frequenze and stuff when fishing in diffent deapths.

Thanks for your responses, B&S and Paul. I should clarify my fishing habits:

- Saltwater primarily. Occasional freshwater use
- Varying depths, mostly 100-250 feet deep
- Budget is a bit of an issue - I'm selling my electric prawn puller and traps and using the money for the new finder/gps - but I'm not adverse spending extra money on the DI/DS if there is good value there.

Use mine all the time Hbird 1198. Side scan - make your first pass over where you think they are (out to side,depth) second pass right over them with gear at right depth. Down Image is great for finding halibut bumps. Trotac carries them

A unit with Chirp Technology might also be useful, although they all usually have downscan as well. Chirp is the new standard and uses multiple frequencies emitted constantly in behind the set frequency. This vastly increases what is picked up in the water column and eliminates clutter. Most standard units emit one frequency and not very often. Anything that does not get picked up by that frequency will be missed. If budget is an issue, you might check online at http://radioworld.ca/marine-c-3.html

I bought my garmin CHIRP from a dealer who is an ex-military sonar engineer. He says Garmin CHIRP is best, Ray marine not bad but Lowrance, Hbird are only good for freshwater.

One bonus of the sidescan is that it provides Sonar redundancy. I've had times where a second Sonar image is handy -- given that the sidescan uses a second transducer, it provides a second set of eyes if something happens with the traditional unit e.g. can't track bottom, dirty, gets bumped out of position or broken -- all those things have happened to me over the years.

One bonus of the sidescan is that it provides Sonar redundancy. I've had times where a second Sonar image is handy -- given that the sidescan uses a second transducer, it provides a second set of eyes if something happens with the traditional unit e.g. can't track bottom, dirty, gets bumped out of position or broken -- all those things have happened to me over the years.

Ya thats a bonus, is it Lowrance that uses a second transducer? My Humminbird uses the same transducer for sonar and Down/Sideimaging..

Yes, Lowrance (Simrad and B&G) all use a second transducer for Sidescan -- actually I assumed they all did but I've only ever owned Lowrance and Simrad units.

I picked up a garmin with DownVu this year. I haven't used it for sturgeon yet, but out in the chuck it seems pretty useless unless in shallow water.

IMO I wouldn't bother with sidescan or DI as it only works well for shallower, freshwater applications. I would go with CHIRP as it has higher resolution and better target separation. Also don't go with the standard transducer, go with an appropriate Airmar if you can afford it, better quality and more reliable and durable. My 2 bits.

I recently needed a finder for my boat. I ended up going to roton and buying a proper 50/200 transducer and a simrad go 7
It makes my "out of the box" Lowrance elite look like a child's toy.
For a couple of extra dollars I'm now looking at all 4 of my flashers and seeing incredible detail, even in deep water.
Being able to see the flashers on the screen takes out all of the guesswork of what depth my gear is actually at and whether it's near the fish

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your feedback guys. I went with the Helix 5 without downimaging. When I get more entrenched in salmon fishing, I'll upgrade to something a little more feature-rich :D

I recently needed a finder for my boat. I ended up going to roton and buying a proper 50/200 transducer and a simrad go 7
It makes my "out of the box" Lowrance elite look like a child's toy.
For a couple of extra dollars I'm now looking at all 4 of my flashers and seeing incredible detail, even in deep water.
Being able to see the flashers on the screen takes out all of the guesswork of what depth my gear is actually at and whether it's near the fish

How deep can you see your flashers? Speed?

How deep can you see your flashers? Speed?
I've seen them down to 120' at 2.5 kts roughly (45deg on the rigger cable)

One of my flashers didn't show at even 60' though, guess it depends on the material. I'll take a screen shot next time I'm out so you can see, they leave straight lines on the screen.

One hoochie has some foil in it, it shows up really well surprisingly.

On my Garmin with Chirp I can see my Cannonballs down to nearly 200 feet and the flashers above it show as a squiggly line that shows the flashers rotating. It also shows any weeds on my lines as a line going down from the surface. That usually disappears around 60 feet or so I think, but I've usually popped the rigger by then and have reeled up to clean my line.

Back