DownImaging/Downscan - worth the extra $$?

Maybe too late, but if you do go with the Humminbird Helix 5 series , (I wouldn't buy one again) watch out for manufacturing debris. I bought one a few months back and after connecting power to the unit, found a piece of plastic debris stuck between the inner LCD and the outer protective screen. The piece moved but stayed in view and was damn annoying. Humminbird support was horrible (numerous emails and pics sent) and wanted me to pay shipping to have my brand new unused (in boat anyway) unit repaired. Thankfully the retailer immediately replaced it. Fast forward to last week. I was in Cabela's in Naniamo and saw a demo running in the sounder display. Guess what, the same kind of debris was stuck inside the screen. Bought a spinning combo and asked the associate. He said many had noticed it as well and they were going to pull the demo.
Buy a different brand. Humminbird didn't properly clean the plastic housing during the manufacturing process and will try to make you pay for their defective product repair.

I have the Lowrance HDS gen 1, and can say I use it. Mainly if down imaging and conventional sonar agree then great. I would not pay extra for it, I would just get a Humminbird to do it again for the number of times my Lowrance has crapped out on me. It does make tracking schooling fish to the sides more interesting but it is not the end all. IMHO

Back