Do You Think We Are Retards?

R

River Thug

I work in a tackle store that shall be unnamed because this is a rant.

What the heck? Do people assume that because I work in a tackle store I don't know what I'm doing. Do you think I'm spouting random crap when you ask me for advice.
Yeah maybe if I was a hottie that acted like a bubble brain maybe you could take what I have to say for granted, but in reality, some one that doesn't know the product or how to best use it will not last long.
Just because you were taught how to use some crap 40yrs ago in Ontario doesn't mean I don't know how to use the latest and greatest stuff for BC. Many times tackle store staff from all over this great province put out our own money to try new products so we can know what we are talking about when you ask about it.
We are not pro staffers and we do not get these products at extremly reduced rates. I am sick of people treating us like we are just common clerks. This isn't 7 11 here people. We are hardcore fisherman that know the rivers, lakes and ocean. If you want to know what's new and working hot just ask. But don't ask if you think we are just trying to screw around with you. Remember, if I give you retard advice than you wont trust me and you wont come back. And that means I don't get payed. Makes sense don't it.
Thanks for reading. And remember. The C.O. isn't there to give you a hard time. And he/she can kick your butt.

I thought of another thing that is buggin me. Guides. When people thing they know more than the guide. The guides whole lively hood relies on not only product knowledge but also on the feeding and migratory habits of the fish. Some of the ones I know are border line biologists. And some are smarter. LOL.

I guess what I'm saying is give us a break. We all work really hard and put in a lot of time to be knowledgeable about all aspects of fishing.

A good guide and tackle store clerk should be a well rounded fisher and I like to think I am. I also know my boss and coworker are. They are better rods than me.

Have Fun!

Yeah I sold tackle for a while and so know what you mean, luckily most people aren't so lacking in confidence as the ones you're talking about.

Maybe some people are used to the staff at canadian tire and walmart who for the most part don't have a clue.It wasn't to long ago you could buy more tackle for pike and other back east fish, than the local fish.

I think this is the case for many specialty retail stores - I used to get people ask for tips, then tell me how wrong I am...they always would come in a week later with their tail between their legs, and barely say a word.[:I]
Then they would buy what I told them about the last time. [:p]

Catch and release -- into my frying pan.

Too funny...just remember that no matter what you are doing the customer can ask just about any question with some reasonable expectation that we provide an answer...the thing that separates the men from the boys is if the question is really dumb, you can always ask another question to question their question, so they get the point not to ask insulting questions...or you can hit them with another zinger question to help them see how fruitless their question is.:D Any questions?[:eek:)]

Point being, enjoy the challenge - it goes with the job.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:people ask for tips, then tell me how wrong I am...they always would come in a week later with their tail between their legs, and barely say a word

One day when I'm seriously loaded I'll post about how I really stuck it to one know-it-all. [:eek:)] [8D]

I'm not in the tackle business, my "other" job involves people coming to me with problems and acting on my advice. Needless to say, instead of taking my advice on the first or second time,they take a roundabout expensive way to do things that sounds good and won't f*cking work!

Yes, at least hear a profesional out before throwing out crap off the top of your head.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

quote:people ask for tips, then tell me how wrong I am...they always would come in a week later with their tail between their legs, and barely say a word

One day when I'm seriously loaded I'll post about how I really stuck it to one know-it-all. [:eek:)] [8D]

Ok, I really gotta know, Ill buy you some beers if I have to to hear this one.. Come on, give it up dogg..

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Well..just smile..and tell them...this is the way most people do it...and it works. If not...just smile and wave good bye.

Unknown: I suppose it makes a difference if you have grey hair and look worn out or if you look young and green! ;)

First off, respect to those learned anglers that double as sales clerks at the various retail outlets. Thanks for your efforts!

.........where to go from here. I'll tell you what though, it's plain to spot a snot nose green horn sales person when one approaches me. He/she may not know my history in the world of fishing.(obviously not their fault I know) I tend not to get into it. Unless I ask please do not offer up advice and especially if you do get me going, arguing with my selection is really rather something I dislike.

I have spent Tens of thousands of dollars at many tackle shops and most guys/girls know me. What bothers me is when a new employee ( bless their heart;) ) come up to me as if I am some total newb. I know they don't know who I am but it would be cool if a store owner had a catalouge of faces and important customers. Train the clerk to call you by your name and give you a bit of space when you step into the store. I know that is a pipedream but I am a business owner and I emplore my staff to use first names with everyone I deal with . People love the warmer friendly reception rather than the deer in the headlights approach.

My rant.

:D

quote:Originally posted by highlights

First off, respect to those learned anglers that double as sales clerks at the various retail outlets. Thanks for your efforts!

.........where to go from here. I'll tell you what though, it's plain to spot a snot nose green horn when one approaches me. He/she may not know my history in the world of fishing.(obviously not their fault I know) I tend not to get into it. Unless I ask please do not offer up advice and especially if you do get me going, arguing with my selection is really rather something I dislike.

I have spent Tens of thousands of dollars at many tackle shops and most guys/girls know me. What bothers me is when a new employee ( bless their heart;) ) come up to me as if I am some total newb. I know they don't know who I am but it would be cool if a store owner had a catalouge of faces and important customers. Train the clerk to call you by your name and give you a bit of space when you step into the store. I know that is a pipedream but I am a business owner and I emplore my staff to use first names with everyone I deal with . People love the warmer friendly reception rather than the deer in the headlights approach.

My rant.

:D
I agree with you on your approach to your customers and newb employees. I myself am not a newb and have been assisting new fisherman find their way and seasons vets towards the newest products. I personally find it fulfilling when I have directed a customer to a lure and they come in the next day with a pic of their very first steelhead having that very lure hanging out of it's mouth. Another thing that is a quark about me is that I am really interested in the science behind it all. For example I can tell you what number of Tomic plug or Lyman plug you should use and why. It's actually pretty neat stuff if you take the effort to find out.
Mostly how this all started was me getting sick of people talking about us behind our backs. That and the know it all jerk that has that screeminreeltv thing on you tube.
He thinks every one that works in a tackle store does just as a ego boost. I personally try to stay humble and know that I still have allot to learn. Any advice when asked for it or constructive criticism when on the river is appreciated and taken with humility.

If we stop learning we have stopped living.

quote:Originally posted by UNKNOWN

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Unknown: I suppose it makes a difference if you have grey hair and look worn out or if you look young and green! ;)

...not really. Everyone has ideas, it is important to listen as often as it is to give advise. The solutions are available and they are not age restrictive.;):)

R.
Age is a number that does not reflect your experience.

Experience is a name we give our mistakes.

River Thug, I was in retail tackle some too many years ago, starting at Simpson's Sears before opening a specialty store. Then after selling out went into rep'ing products west of Ontario.

Many, if not most of those you speak of, act boorish simply to hide their true level of competence. Their actions are the fight or flight reaction, as they are confronted by your knowlege of their own ignorance. They try to simply overwhelm your understanding of their abilities.

Trust me, several buyers in many of the stores were just as boorish on too many occaisions.

For any who care, there's a young lad in Island Outfitter's who I'm certain could outfish me with his eyes closed and one hand tied. But I think it's safe to say the young guys at Canadian Tire or Zellers would be as helpful, or less-so, than the young ladies at LaSenza when it comes to (piscatorial) fishing advice.

Next go-round with one of those guys is to ask them "what is your go-to confidence lure in (the situation you ask of) at this time of day?" If they give you a load of obvious BS, suggest Canadian Tire. No matter what you sell them, it will be your fault and your reputation will suffer.

Or offer them a charter at a fair intro-price, just to let them get up to speed quickly... see how the 'pros' do it.

Better yet, develope a new clientele... say single moms with young boys. Get them into or develope learn how to fish programs in your area to help them develope outdoor bonds with their kids. Honestly, if you treat the women fairly and honestly, they don't care what you look like, will seek your advice regularly and refer you to many others. Then you won't have so many jerks to deal with.

Cheers!

Back