Do I need it ... No, but I want it. Rivian Truck

Musing on the charging on a highway trip issue today as we came back from the Sunshine Coast. Penticton to Hope: 250 km, or 60% of the Lightning range. Arrive in Hope with say 35% remaining. Ford says DC fast charge at 150 kW takes the standard range from 15 to 85% in 40 minutes, proportioning that out i come up with 26 minutes to bring it from 35% to 80%, more than enough to get to Sechelt.

Today's stop in Hope for gas, coffee/pop, human and pet toilet break took 18 minutes, about normal.

Adding 8 minutes to the trip doesn't seem too inconvenient.

It’s easy to see having a charging hub around commercial where people and shop and eat could be pretty lucrative

The huge Esso recently built west of Hope has a Tesla Supercharger bank of 20 chargers. Easy to see they want to drive business to the fast food and convenience store that already serves the regular service station and truck stop clientele. Hope, with its location at the junction of four highways, is already a logical stop on trips between the coast and the interior. The form of fuel vehicles are using won't change that much.

It’s easy to see having a charging hub around commercial where people and shop and eat could be pretty lucrative
I think we will see something of a revival of the old highway diner concept. People need to stop to charge, give them something to do or something to eat, and they'll be inclined to choose you over places that offer neither.

Look at how many people choose to eat on BC Ferries, despite the food being neither cheap nor especially good. The hook is they can't drive anywhere for a period of time, may as well time a meal on the ferry or while waiting at the terminal.

Can’t blame him for flipping it, if the price going price is anything close to it

That boy is having a go. The truck must be a 2022, as MY23 builds just started 10 days ago. Lariat MSRP was CAD 80,000 for that run. Yes they are rare, but the 23s will be far more plentiful, roughly five times more being built this model year.

I have a commercial account with PetroCan/Suncor already and was planning to use it for charging on road trips. Maybe not.

Certainly in my interactions with power utilities as a builder, their process doesn't begin until a property owner applies for service. Even small subdivisions are hard to get design for now, BC Hydro especially is undergunned for engineers. Not hard to imagine 2-3 year process for planning and execution of the connection needed; the article isn't wrong when it says massive power delivery will be needed for truck stops on a scale of their diesel equivalents.

But the passenger car sector is already moving quickly. You don't even see charging stations if you're a gas or diesel user, but Tesla in particular has done remarkable things while the ICE world keeps gassing up. They knew the critical obstacle to mass ownership was lack of public charging, so they built their own. One would assume they'll have to take the same approach with their semi trailer product. Will it come out soon, or are they going to keep maxing out sales on passenger vehicles while the other auto makers struggle to get started? You could sell a lot of trucks just to service key intercity routes like Vancouver-Calgary, Edmonton-Calgary, Toronto-Montreal and the much higher volume US routes like LA-San Francisco. Only a handful of charging stations would be needed to cover those mega-volume runs, but a lot of trucks work them so the initial sales would be there, with promise of more chargers on secondary routes and beyond.

Most drivers will only use public charging a few times a year when they're on a road trip, and the load at a home charger is pretty mild - 240V 40A is all most use; ie, the same circuit you'd use for an electric range or clothes dryer. Trucks are a different matter again, but the savings to owners would be massive. I'll save $6500 a year on my F150 at 24,000 km p.a., just imagine how much diesel a 26 wheeler goes through!

Well my Lady took a couple of pics of two of them Rivian's driving across the border.....one pick up in red, the SUV was green!

Rivian, backed by Amazon.com (AMZN.O) and Ford Motor (F.N), had $13.8 billion cash on hand at the end of September. It also has a contract to supply 100,000 electric delivery vans to Amazon. But its cost of goods sold was about $220,000 per car versus an average selling price of $81,000 in the quarter, CFRA estimated.

According to Rivian’s most recent SEC filings, the company’s third-quarter costs jumped from $83 million in 2021 to nearly $1.5 billion in 2022. That’s an absurd jump in costs, but not an unbelievable one — lithium prices have blown up like an earthbound asteroid.

Electric trucks seem good as a grocery getter or hit the lumber yard for a couple sticks. Did a bunch of research and towing killed my interest. Until the batteries are better with range during tow will stick with gas or diesel for my towing vehicle.
Agreed. Great trucks for commuting around town but I couldn’t make it to my cabin while towing a boat or trailer. And if I wasn’t towing, I wouldn’t feel comfortable up there in case the power went out and had no way to get back to town to charge

Towing is the big unknown for me too, but I'm buying the Lightning anyway because towing is only a little portion of my annual driving. One trip from the Okanagan to the Sunshine Coast a year is the only out of town I do now with the boat. My boat and trailer scales out at just under 3000 lb fuelled and with fishing equipment.

I plan to do some towing within the valley to get an understanding of how the range is affected. Aerodynamics plays an important role with EV towing range, more so than weight alone. Standard range is 390 km, 40% range loss still gets me to Hope.

The rest of the year is a no brainer. I have a lot of days of 100 km driven but almost none above 200 km. Behicle is parked 6 pm to 6 am virtually every day. Home charging from a 40 A 240 V plug same as you'd use for a kitchen stove or clothes dryer.

EV's for in town short range trips are great. Personally I wouldn't want the extra anxiety wondering if the juice would run out between charging stations on a road trip.
Hybrid sounds like a better bet.

Back