Disposal of bad gas.

Rockfish

I have about 4 gallons of bad gas in a plastic gas can to get rid of. It is full of dirt and contaminates including some saltish water. Where in the Victoria/Sooke area can it be taken and dumped into a barrel? Don't have property, so I can't burn it.

Check with your local fire hall, if they don't take it they will know where you can.

I think most municipal dumps have a place for old oil etc..
canadian tires would take used motor oil as well and I bet they will take the gas

canadian tire no longer takes used oil and referred patrons to a used oil collection
site which escapes me at the moment

I know one place mid-island that takes old gas. Its a recycle center. But they insist you bring it in an approved gas container which you give up.

Phoned C. Tire and they don’t take gas, but suggested Ellis or Hartland dump may take it.

Phoned CRD (they run Hartland) and ended up in the endless and useless auto message nightmare that Govts. are increasingly infamous for – no actual people to talk to but did leave a voicemail message not that anyone returned it in the half day since.

Called the Fire Dept. - they suggested trying to get a full service/repairs gas station to take it.

Called Ellis recycling and was advised they don’t take it. Apparently that was incorrect.

Did a detailed computer search and eventually found this: https://www.crd.bc.ca/service/waste-recycling/reduce-reuse-recycle/myrecyclopedia/products/Gasoline
So these are the places on VI you can take it.

Called Ellis again at the number provided in the website above and more recorded message hell but did leave a message to call me. No call back so far.

Called Alpine and was advised that they will take it free of charge as outlined on the CRD site but you will have to leave the gas in an approved fuel container. When I suggested that is not exactly free since I lose the fuel container, they said they would give me a voucher for a new fuel can. Problem solved. By the way it is not really free, apparently when you buy gas part of the cost is a fee for recycling it should you ever have to do so. Apparently I already paid in advance to get rid of this gas.

Last edited:
Wish it was a bit easier, I headed down to Can tire as usual and like you guys they don't take it anymore. Had to drive another half hour to get rid of it, which got me thinking more will end up in drains or dumpsters now that people have to make an extra effort....

Wish it was a bit easier, I headed down to Can tire as usual and like you guys they don't take it anymore. Had to drive another half hour to get rid of it, which got me thinking more will end up in drains or dumpsters now that people have to make an extra effort....

I drive by the side door at the back of Can Tire store frequently on a road beside the store on the way to a friends house and there is always a dozen or more used oil jugs out beside the door which I suspect are dropped off after hours or quick during the day. It seems some are resisting giving up this privilege or don't know they don't want it anymore. I understand they never accepted gas given its dangerous nature. It would seem to me that they should consider the extra cost of adding returned oil to their disposal barrels in the service shop part of the advertising budget. It gets customers back in the store and keeps them happy. The bulk of their customers are do it yourself types. One would think the oil companies would pay for returned oil given it is re-refined which should help with the cost of storing it and getting it back to them. Perhaps they should consider used oil just like any other core return but without having to pay the customer for its return.

Last edited:
I always thought there was an enviro fee on oil to cover recycling? If so it seems like the fee is being collected but the service not being provided? You have to question what happens to the enviro fees when you find out that while many sell the products,less and less are willing to recycle those products.

Some marinas have a recycling station for used oil. When fuel trucks need to "purge" an compartment that contained gas they simply pour a less volatile product into it. I would think that pouring a small amount of gas into a container of used oil would have the same effect.

Got a call back from the CRD Rep. yesterday. Was advised that the voucher for a replacement fuel container is only for $6:00 and is limited to 3 times a year and a max. of 25 liters in any one visit. Apparently the depots just hold them until they are picked up by by a company which consolidates the gas. I wounder what happens to the hundreds of good approved gas containers we are forced to abandon.

Last edited:
Back