Disappointment Rememberance Day

otter

Really irked today I was out and about and noticed the majority of the population where I was,young and old.all genders not wearing a poppy. Very unpatriotic dont understand that. Is it that Canadians are basically unpatriotic and dont give a damn,I dont know. One thing I do know is the patrioticism portrayed by our neifghbours to the south. Just a fact.

Well if they found a way to make those poppies stay on! Im on my forth. Ive found its my seatbelt that always swips them off.

I think you are very wrong all Canadians I know are very patriotic. The patriotism shown by our neighbors is nice buts its the ignorance and indifference that isnt so heartwarming.

I was digusted at the number of people who don't remove their hats for the singing of the National Anthem or moment of silence.

Dave

The daffodil campaign in March/April came up with a great idea, they have a small rubber sleeve on the pin. You put it on after entering the pin to your clothing, it stays in place and you also do not get poked by the pin

Ive noiced Americans are much more patriotic as well, been that way as long as I've been alive..

We closed the doors at the shop today for the entire day out of respect for all men and women who have served for this country. We should never forget.

Robert.

The little plastic poppy is a token you receive when you make a donation. Like wearing the "I donated blood" sticker or the cancer daffodil. People can honour those who have served in our military without sporting a poppy just as well as they can with it.

My family braved the elements today to attend at the ceremony in Campbell River. None of us wore poppies, partly because we didn`t want our baby boy to get hurt grabbing at them. I was very impressed by the numbers that turned out here, in spite of the terrible weather. The fact that some left their rain hoods on and others didn`t wear poppies doesn`t bother me a bit. And it has nothing at all to do with the genuine act of remembrance that we all shared in today.

A great thing about this country is that you can pay tribute in your way, and I in mine. There is nothing disgusting about that. Remembrance Day is not about wearing a poppy or removing your hat; it is about honouring those who have served for our country. Please don't trivialize it.

I was at the ceremony in Comox. It was a wonderful turnout. I was really impressed by how many young people were there. An excellent morning. Really glad I attended.

We had a nice ceremony at work today.It was freezing cold and everyone had to take off thier hats,touques and hoodies.The company brought in a trumpet player who played the memorial tune (not sure of the name) before our two minutes of silence and the superintendant recited the Flanders Field poem.Very Classy! Felt proud to partake.

The little plastic poppy is a token you receive when you make a donation. Like wearing the "I donated blood" sticker or the cancer daffodil. People can honour those who have served in our military without sporting a poppy just as well as they can with it.

My family braved the elements today to attend at the ceremony in Campbell River. None of us wore poppies, partly because we didn`t want our baby boy to get hurt grabbing at them. I was very impressed by the numbers that turned out here, in spite of the terrible weather. The fact that some left their rain hoods on and others didn`t wear poppies doesn`t bother me a bit. And it has nothing at all to do with the genuine act of remembrance that we all shared in today.

A great thing about this country is that you can pay tribute in your way, and I in mine. There is nothing disgusting about that. Remembrance Day is not about wearing a poppy or removing your hat; it is about honouring those who have served for our country. Please don't trivialize it.

Excellent post Steelhead S2:cool:.

I'm usually out hunting on rememberance day and was so today. I did have a poppy pinned to my hat. We always stop for at 11:00 for a nice long moment of silence. I like the quietness of being out in the bush on this day. Peaceful.

Went to the ceremony in Courtenay today.
My better half lost his poppy prior and insisted he have one.. So we stopped at crappy tire and got another just before going there.

To me it it about getting out and participating more than wearing the poppy.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I like the quietness of being out in the bush on this day. Peaceful.

Things must be different over in your neck of the woods Sculpin! I decided to take the weekend off (having been afield 9 days straight!) due to the invasion of the Long Weekend Warriors. Turned out that was the right decision! 3 reports came in over the eve, and all said: "It's a War Zone Out there!" And that simply is something I have no wish whatsoever to see!

I take a few moments every week to Remember. Lots of reason too...

Mine is a Family of Warriors.
Stretching back through History our Clan has always answered the call with no hesitation.
Many never returned.
Many returned physically scarred.
All that did return were forever changed.

Of the Men in our Family, I am one of the few that never entered military service.
And although somewhat embarrassed by my failure to adhere to tradition, military life simply did not interest me.

I am Proud of this Heritage. I am Humbled by those who answered the call when needed, often paying the ultimate price for doing their part. I think of them often, not simply on the day dedicated to their Remembrance.

Ah but Yesterday was that day. When people the world over reflect on the past and honor those who served to ensure the Life we now are accustomed to could and did flourish. For without them, without their sacrifices, Life, as we know it, would be a much different reality.

To the many from my Family who put aside their personal ambitions for sake of Country, to the great many that served beside them in the trenches, in the air and on the water, I offer my heartfelt thanks. I Firmly Salute You! And I will remember... not just today, but Always!

Never Forgotten!

Cheers,
Nog

I sure hope people weren't judging me as my poppy blew off my coat as I stood there in the wind and driving rain on the breakwater at Royal Van Yacht Club....honouring those who served so that I could stand there freely.

Soaked to the gills........and not wearing a poppy; I hope I wasn't disgusting.

Oddly enough....I have found that it took me forever in the past week to get myself a poppy; couldn't find a donation box anywhere.

Now....if you want to be disgusted.....don't channel it at those not wearing a poppy for whatever reason; get pissed at the asshats who are the absolute lowest scum of society that are stealing the poppy donation boxes.

We had a nice ceremony at work today.It was freezing cold and everyone had to take off thier hats,touques and hoodies.The company brought in a trumpet player who played the memorial tune (not sure of the name) before our two minutes of silence and the superintendant recited the Flanders Field poem.Very Classy! Felt proud to partake.

Did you get paid double time as per your labour agreement??

My dad was a P.O.W. for 4 years in WW2.

I have respect for anybody who fought in WW1 or WW2.

Anything after that, with the exception of Korea, not so much.

Since the older participants are dying off from old age..Remembrance Day now includes anybody who fought in any war as long as you were on the right side.

The Legion still is biased as to who it will let become a full member.

If you are Canadian and fought in the Gulf or, recently Afghanistan you are automatically deemed a "Hero".
Which is a slap in the face to those Canuck soldiers who actually were heroes and you don't hear about anymore.

If, during maintenance/non-combat, a tire blew off your truck and killed you while you were in Afghanistan
......you are NOT a hero...you, unfortunately, are a casualty.

Not much shrift is given on R-Day to soldiers of the U.N. Peacekeeping Forces (Bluehats),who(many Canadian),IMO in different actions around the globe, probably have done more heroic deeds per capita than any other force recently.

Read "Shake Hands With The Devil" by Romeo Dallaire (U.N. commander) to see what they are up against.

Here's an interesting one.......just boarded a ferry and one of the staff just chastised my girlfriend for wearing a poppy the day after Remembrance Day. He quite sternly told her it is to be removed right after the service on the day of the 11th.

I told him to mind his own effin business. I do realize that Legions say they are to be worn from the last Friday in October til end of day on the 11th......but how about shut up if someone is wearing one on the 12th.

Any person chastising another person for wearing a poppy after the 11th is an idiot. Remembering is the most important thing!

Mike

...just goes to show, everyone needs to lighten up in life. Well, unless you are fighting for the fish - then give all hell!

Not to make light, but really, I mean really...we all need to look at ourselves before we speak or judge one another.

DHA.

I had a guy at work last year give me the gears about wearing my poppy on the 12th. I asked if he'd served. (I'm ex-Artillery) He says "No"
So I told him to shut the hell up and mind his own business.

Back