Direct Buy?????

Sitkaspruce

Not exactly a fishing question, but the wife and I are looking at building a house and I saw this add for a company called Direct Buy. I sent in a request and have recieved a "Pass" to go to their showroom and listen to a sales pitch and look at what they have to offer.

Should we go? or is it a waste of time? It will be a 6 hour drive for us from the north island, but we would be wiling to go IF they can save us the money they say they can.

Any opinions or any members here?

Thanks

SS

Fishing001.jpg

My inlaws did this when they built their house. Turned into a bad experiance. Real pushy sales and they did not end up saving money. Big membership fee...
Can't remember all of the details as it was a few years ago but I remember him cursing the experiance for a couple of years after.

Tips

We used to be members when we had "real" jobs and disposable income. If you buy a lot of stuff(like you are filling a new house) AND want to buy high-end brand names it's a good deal as it brings the high-end stuff down to reasonable prices. If you are thinking of buying mid-range products and are willing to spend the time shopping around sales your bill is going to be less that way. We were buying things like high end leather recliners, brand name pool tables, hi-end plumbing and electrical fixtures and it dropped 25-40% off the prices but all those things have huge margins. When we built the Resort we just purchased all the fixtures at Home Depot and it was A LOT cheaper. We found that custom made furniture from the right type of shops was actually cheaper than some of the brand name stuff so went custom with most of the furnishings.

I have two friends who have done this and both have different opinions. One builds houses and he says it is great for savings on materials but dislikes that everything is catalog/sample ordering. The other is a regular working guy who got sucked in to the pitch, financed a $10,000 membership fee so he could save a bit of money on stuff he buys. I've been through their catalogue and the prices are decent but IMHO not worth it. I filled out a draw at one of their booths at a fair years ago and they harassed the crap out of me for a long.

I was a memeber and what a waste of good time
Eveything I wanted to buy was found to be cheaper at other stores
save your money

Back