Dipsy Rod vs Downrigger Rods

Rust

Hey fellas, as mentioned in a different thread, I'm relatively new to fishing. I'll primarily be fishing the larger lakes around the okanagan., this rod set up im planning to target lake trout. I have a Shimano tekota 500LC and want to get a decent rod to pair it with. Anyways I've tried searching a bit but haven't found a good answer yet as to wether or not its a good, bad or doesn't make much difference if a dipsy rod is run in a downrigger? Finding a 8' MEdium light downrigger rod is proving difficult and the 9'ones I've found, near as I can tell from the shimano website is that its a dipsy rod.

I guess thats the long winded way of asking what others opinions and past experiences would be on this?

You don't need any 'special rod' to run a diver-I have a Shimano 9' Dipsey Diver rod from Cabelas and it has a bit of backbone to help release the diver/set the hook but I fished for years with any old thing and it was fine-you'll know if the rod is too light because you'll break it and if it's too much of a pool cue you'll throw it out.

Hey fellas, as mentioned in a different thread, I'm relatively new to fishing. I'll primarily be fishing the larger lakes around the okanagan., this rod set up im planning to target lake trout. I have a Shimano tekota 500LC and want to get a decent rod to pair it with. Anyways I've tried searching a bit but haven't found a good answer yet as to wether or not its a good, bad or doesn't make much difference if a dipsy rod is run in a downrigger? Finding a 8' MEdium light downrigger rod is proving difficult and the 9'ones I've found, near as I can tell from the shimano website is that its a dipsy rod.

I guess thats the long winded way of asking what others opinions and past experiences would be on this?
You don't need any 'special rod' to run a diver-I have a Shimano 9' Dipsey Diver rod from Cabelas and it has a bit of backbone to help release the diver/set the hook but I fished for years with any old thing and it was fine-you'll know if the rod is too light because you'll break it and if it's too much of a pool cue you'll throw it out.
I have used dipsy divers, in both fresh and salt water. I like the rudder that angles it to the side.
Yes, a stiffer rod is asked for. helps release the friction device/clip. another thing an angler can do is point the rod more to the stern, say 45 degrees rather than 90. i have had success with a 10' Trophy with shortened tip.

Back