DFO rubber-stamps unusual plan to feed endangered orcas

agentaqua

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/dfo-rubber-stamps-unusual-plan-to-feed-endangered-orcas-1.2957793

A wild idea to feed endangered killer whales off the coast of Vancouver Island has got the green light from the federal government.

A group of fisherman in Sooke hatched the unique plan last August.

They proposed to feed the dwindling southern resident killer whale population, which scientists have said are challenged for food sources, by releasing one million chinook salmon smolts into the Sooke Basin.

SVIAC has been working on this for a few years. The project was supposed to begin last fall but the Nitinat Hatchery wasn't able to collect enough eggs to fully supply their existing commitments so SVIAC had to wait a year to try again. This year the plan was apart of the 2016 IFMP and was waiting for the new minister to sign off. The Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament proceeds are all being directed at getting this project under way this fall.

Is there any data that suggests that their food source is limited because of low smolt migrations?

There is a lack of mature Chinook in Juan De Fuca Strait...anyone who has been fishing the past 4 weeks will know that large Chinook are scarce. While we are dependent on DFO doing something to improve the early summer Fraser Chinook numbers we can fix the mid to late summer numbers ourselves by maximizing the output of the Sooke River system. These fish will be available to the whales while they transit JDF Strait from late July through into September.

Specifically I was wondering if there aren't enough chinook out there because the ocean can't support them or if it is because of poor recruitment somewhere between the egg to the smolt stage? I'm assuming you guys have done the research to know that you aren't dumping more salmon into an already depleted habitat and increasing the mortality of the few wild fish left. I don't have or need an answer, I'm just hoping the group looked into this. Looking forward to the success stories!

Seagirt.. technical meetings were held with DFO senior biologists and our proposal was crafted based on their recommendations to us. After making adjustments based on these consultations it then had to be approved by the department as a whole and also all by the other stakeholders and special interest groups. No small feat in fact the hardest part of this project to accomplish. It took the better part of 3 years and many hours in meetings and letter writing. Chris Bos should be applauded for all his time and efforts in making this happen. I think we are all looking forward to the boots on the ground work which is much more rewarding. There is also the fund raising work ahead of us as well and that is where every local angler can do his or her part in making this a big success.

time for someone to teach these very smart mammals how to forage on seals and sea lions ! must be some grant money available to an enterprising young biologist ?????

time for someone to teach these very smart mammals how to forage on seals and sea lions ! must be some grant money available to an enterprising young biologist ?????
Unfortunately the "residents" are fish-eaters only - the "Transients" are the marine mammal eaters.

that is unfortunate. but variety (in your diet) is the spice of life. someone should tell them that.... hehe

I dont get some of these groups sometime. They oppose everything. I dont buy the hatchery argument. I never have. Sooke fishery survives on hatchery fish, and so do other regions.

We dont even know what is hatchery anymore.

Our entire winter fishery in South for most part are US fish from a lot of hatcheries.

I just think its easy for groups to criticize because they want the department to do it for them. Its just not going to happen. The communities are going to have to raise money,and work with DFO.

As for fixing Fraser? Not going to happen.

Last edited:
The so called experts haven't done their homework. There are no wild Chinook in the Sooke...they are all Nitinat transplants. If not for the work the Sooke Enhancement Society has done since 1980 there would be no Chinook in the Sooke.

this, like most projects of this type, is a complex one. I hope the group success in making it happen and I know they have been working hard to do so.

Hatchery / wild interaction is a MAJOR concern that is currently being looked at by fisheries experts across BC and it will be interesting to see what sort of recommendations and policy changes unfold in the coming years. Best practices are continually evolving and the ecosystem is a complex one so it should be no surprise that as we learn more about it our best practices will evolve (think large woody debris issue from past decades).

The Fraser is by far the biggest and most important system we have for salmon and if we want to make serious positive impacts on salmon fisheries coastwide the Fraser will be key. As most fishermen know, fish move. The fish you are catching in Sooke vs Campbell River vs Vancouver vs Central and North Coast are not necessarily fish that spawn in your nearest river or stream. In fact, chances are the vast majority of the fish you catch come from river systems far, far away from your 'home' river. If you look at 'head recovery' and other DNA programs you can learn some great info about where 'your' fish originate from and chances are a lot of those fish come from the Fraser system or river systems south of the border. Since us Canadians can do very little about the US fish we need to focus our efforts on the Fraser and other major systems if we are serious about long-term sustainable salmon populations in BC. Genetic diversity are also very important and the great work being done in 100's of other rivers in BC should not be discounted at all.... just saying the Fraser is by far the most important for pacific salmon as a whole so we can't ignore it and say it's too late for it or else we will be in a world of hurt.

The resident orca population of appx 83 whales or so eat close to 1 million chinook salmon each year by many estimates. That is 12,000 chinook per whale per year or 33 chinook per whale per day! that is a lot of chinook and that needs to be put in perspective when looking at killer whale recovery plans. Not only do they eat almost entirely chinook in summer months, they prefer large chinook and have been shown to ignore not only other salmon species but also smaller chinook populations when feeding, according to Dr. Ford at DFO and other recent studies. It's not as simple as saying "throw a few more fish in the water and the whales will be ok". They are a lot of very competent people that have spent decades looking at these whales to understand what it is they need to survive and thrive. It's really fascinating stuff and hope that all groups can work together to make the positive changes needed for killer whales and salmon alike.

The question that I have for DFO scientists is "if we have been studying and delivering hatchery fish into the system for 40 years ,what are the adverse effects that are actually known? "
Everyone knows that the Fraser is the key , but is habitat restoration actually possible or viable without the use of hatcheries?

Everybody talking about how the fishing is **** up and down coast. Some of the shittiest numbers ever in the albion. We are finally starting to see the result of years of unchecked FN netting. Dont kid yourself its not going to get better. The low return that made it back to the Fraser this year has been decimated between Yale and Hope by drift and set nets. Wait till this cycle returns in a few years. You think fishing fishing is slow now,just wait.

Everybody talking about how the fishing is **** up and down coast. Some of the shittiest numbers ever in the albion. We are finally starting to see the result of years of unchecked FN netting. Dont kid yourself its not going to get better. The low return that made it back to the Fraser this year has been decimated between Yale and Hope by drift and set nets. Wait till this cycle returns in a few years. You think fishing fishing is slow now,just wait.

Bang on Whitebuck! The local FN leaders in the Chilliwack area talk conservation of fish stocks but sadly band members don't or won't listen.
Don't blame DFO for restrictions ( and the ones to surely follow); blame the people harvesting these fish. I pity the FN groups in the interior, the ones who truly do care about these fish but suffer the consequences of outright greed from a few Sto-Lo fishers.

Back