DFO IFM Plan 2021/22 For Review

Couldn't agree more as a general rule. Appreciate folks getting frustrated hearing how critical having genetic stock composition data is to finding times and locations where stocks of concern are not encountered. To have any shot at fishery opportunities we need to establish areas/times where stocks of concern are not encountered in significant numbers to pose a meaningful risk to recovery of those stocks.

The simple facts are without; 1) good quality data collected over a long period of time; and 2) strong evidence your area fishery doesn't pose a risk; then those areas not meeting these 2 criteria are not likely to be opened up until these stocks recover.

We hear over and over from other sectors...no data = no fishery.

The reality also is....that data will not open fishery opportunity if there is higher risk of encounters of stocks of concern for a particular area or time. Placing all our hopes and wishes in the data basket are not going to improve the situation if geography and the migration routes and timing these particular stocks of concern are using works against us. Location matters. There isn't any data that will overcome the fact that in some locations these stocks are prevalent. Saying this not to **** anyone off, but to caution against getting hopes up pursuing data as a panacea. It's not a silver bullet for some areas.

I am a realist.. not a dreamer waiting and hoping for a miracle to happen... So what do you suggest? We continue to follow the instructions from DFO to collect more data that will NOT be used properly? If DFO was data driven we would not be in this position.. The data does not show that a complete shutdown of the chinook fishery until September(for the vancouver region) is necessary. So should we continue to be obedient dogs listening and waiting for scraps from our master(DFO) to be thrown at us? The answers are obviously not clear, easy as this is contentious issue involving a lot of different groups and factors. What needs to happen is for the rest of the 99.5% of the sport fishing members from this province to get out and show disobedience, demonstrate outside DFO and government official offices, bang drums, make noise... When we only get a handful of people out for last year's demonstration/protests it shows that the BS policies DFO announces year after year only **** off a handful of people. Until the rest of our group give a damn and does something about it, NO amount of letters will make a difference. The letter writing initiatives have never worked and will never work. We need more pissed off anglers who will draw a line in the sand and will be willing to do something about it. Until that happens we have been screwed and will continue to be screwed. From what I recall, there was 300,000 saltwater fishing licenses issued last year in BC... yet only a handful are pissed off enough and willing to take a day off from work to show up for a rally last year.
Hold your politicians accountable that's the answer. It is only thing that will change the mandate being sent to DFO managers. They take their directive on fisheries management from Prime Minister Trudeau and Minister Jordan. Sitting back and bitching on a forum will do nothing! They don't pay attention to this, but they will pay attention to public pressure that impacts their ability to stay in power!

Couldn't agree more as a general rule. Appreciate folks getting frustrated hearing how critical having genetic stock composition data is to finding times and locations where stocks of concern are not encountered. To have any shot at fishery opportunities we need to establish areas/times where stocks of concern are not encountered in significant numbers to pose a meaningful risk to recovery of those stocks.

The simple facts are without; 1) good quality data collected over a long period of time; and 2) strong evidence your area fishery doesn't pose a risk; then those areas not meeting these 2 criteria are not likely to be opened up until these stocks recover.

We hear over and over from other sectors...no data = no fishery.

The reality also is....that data will not open fishery opportunity if there is higher risk of encounters of stocks of concern for a particular area or time. Placing all our hopes and wishes in the data basket are not going to improve the situation if geography and the migration routes and timing these particular stocks of concern are using works against us. Location matters. There isn't any data that will overcome the fact that in some locations these stocks are prevalent. Saying this not to **** anyone off, but to caution against getting hopes up pursuing data as a panacea. It's not a silver bullet for some areas.
We're being held to standard by the Federal Fisheries Minister that in some areas such as Vancouver that an encounter of just 3 or 4 stocks of concern over 20 years is being deemed to much risk. We have heard that message repeatedly by Minister Jordan and even Prime Minister Trudeau when questioned in the House of Commons. That is unacceptable and where socio and economic importance of access to the fishery should kick in. We do need to support data driven management, but also call out politically driven decisions by the Federal Liberals as unacceptable and hold them accountable in the public eye!

I heard possible mid April but it’s a ministerial decision so it’s really anyone’s guess when the minister will get to it.

It will be a condition of licence if it happens, you would think they want it done by April 01
when the new ones come out.

Support like this doesn't happen by accident. Data is highly important for our sector to contribute to place us in a position where these sorts of initiatives can take place to support the public fishery where there is a strong business case. As noted earlier, data is not however the be all, end all....there will be locations and times where data no matter how robust, will not open fishery opportunities. We have to be careful not to place unrealistic expectations on what can be achieved through data. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer - Balanced expectations.

I have a lot of inner termoil about all this on one hand the SFAB proposal is great it’s better than what we have now it allows some opportunity and I’m trying not to be negiitive about it.

however, I do feel like we are backing ourselves into an inescapable corner with not chance of escape. Right now the main focus is mainly Fraser stocks of concern but if you were to apply the same logic and 5% or less ER to all chinook stocks of concern we may not find an area or time to open withFraser stock of concern, nanimo stocks of concern countless untracked mainland stocks of concern wcvi, Thats

on Fraser During sockeye harvest years they allow up to 20% ER on some stocks of concern like cultus.

anyways the bus is going down the MSF root and trying to 100% avoid Fraser stocks of concern so we’re on that path now.

Also what tends to get lost is we have closures form the north area f trollers all the way down to Vancouver so we can pass 100k+ Chinook so First Nations can harvest 30 thousand Fraser summer 4.1s. Not conservation or stock concern but political reallocation.

I'm still confused , people have said whining on the internet wont get us any where , fair enough but what is the plan ?? that is what every one is asking , even reading the last few posts not a lot of confidence in our proposal, if any thing it probably hurts us long term, what happens if its turned down ?? now what ??? digress even more?? How do you hold politicians accountable when they don't even need our votes , they could really care less what happens out here . As much as we dislike the Liberals', i will be shocked if the Eastern Provinces don't vote him back in !!!What is our strategy, do we have one , I know were preaching data but there not using data to manage, how do we communicate it to get people involved , every year there are less and less of us fighting a losing battle , maybe we need different leader ship or a different agenda with different ideas , i wish i had the answer. I think writing letters has its place but i also know from A political leader they can be used against us , total angler licenses issued and only 10% wrote back there disappointment so they can get more aggressive to obtain there political agenda which we all know where that's going , just ask the troll fleet. I HOPE WE ARE SMARTER THAN GOING DOWN THE SAME ROAD AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT. maybe we go after Horgan and get him lobbying for us because we can vote him out. If some one knows of a plan or a direction it would be nice to let everyone know as we are all over the map causing us fighting each other . With proper clear direction we can unify and point the cross hairs to restore something we all truly enjoy FISHING !!

We need to push for a chinook hatchery on the upper Fraser (and fast) while we continue to collect data and while we pressure the politicians to get DFO to do more to enhance stocks of concern, etc.

If the stocks of concern keep declining while we wait to get our "political ****" together to improve things, it may not matter. Bottom line: few or no fish = no fishing. We need to put more fish in the water!

Last edited:
We need to push for a chinook hatchery on the upper Fraser (and fast) while we continue to collect data and while we pressure the politicians to get DFO to do more to enhance stocks of concern, etc.

If the stocks of concern keep declining while we wait to get our "political ****" together to improve things, it my not matter. Bottom line: few or no fish = no fishing. We need to put more fish in the water!
DFO recently tendered a standing offer for engineering services that was primarily geared towards design, and construction management for fish hatcheries and salmonid enhancement in BC.

It's coming, but it will take a while before we see any measurable results.

I'm still confused , people have said whining on the internet wont get us any where , fair enough but what is the plan ?? that is what every one is asking , even reading the last few posts not a lot of confidence in our proposal, if any thing it probably hurts us long term, what happens if its turned down ?? now what ??? digress even more?? How do you hold politicians accountable when they don't even need our votes , they could really care less what happens out here . As much as we dislike the Liberals', i will be shocked if the Eastern Provinces don't vote him back in !!!What is our strategy, do we have one , I know were preaching data but there not using data to manage, how do we communicate it to get people involved , every year there are less and less of us fighting a losing battle , maybe we need different leader ship or a different agenda with different ideas , i wish i had the answer. I think writing letters has its place but i also know from A political leader they can be used against us , total angler licenses issued and only 10% wrote back there disappointment so they can get more aggressive to obtain there political agenda which we all know where that's going , just ask the troll fleet. I HOPE WE ARE SMARTER THAN GOING DOWN THE SAME ROAD AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT. maybe we go after Horgan and get him lobbying for us because we can vote him out. If some one knows of a plan or a direction it would be nice to let everyone know as we are all over the map causing us fighting each other . With proper clear direction we can unify and point the cross hairs to restore something we all truly enjoy FISHING !!
If you except the plan to be put out on the forum or anywhere in the public relm that won't be happening..Are things happening and moving forward yes... there is always lots of moving parts which does take time to adjust to... remembering we are not really in the drivers seat here. The Public sport fishery is in the back seat trying to anticape what the driver is going to do and have to adjust.. Memebership in either these groups is a good start SFI, PFA of BCFDF all these groups are working hard on your behalf :)

Write your local MP - thank them if their signature is on the letter to Minister Jordan. If it is not ask them why? Here is the letter I sent my MP. Will it help? It can't hurt and better than complaining about DFO here.....

As one of your constituents, I am wondering why your signature is not on this letter signed by several BC MP's that was sent to Minister Jordan recently? I look forward to hearing from you on this.

The actions taken by DFO with regards to sportfishing closures in BC's south coast are cynical and disgusting. They have used sport fishers as a scapegoat to cover their own ineptitude and inaction - shutting the industry down with nothing to show for it from a conservation perspective except headlines, while doing nothing to invest in hatcheries or stopping the rampant illegal First Nations netting of salmon (and sturgeon bycatch) in the Fraser River.

Last year I was unable to take my cousin on our annual August fishing day off the mouth of the Fraser to fish for abundant and not at risk Thompson River Chinook. So my cousin instead purchases 100lbs of illegally net harvested Chinook from the back of a pick up truck. He though it was funny that he was able to purchase this much salmon for much less than we would pay a local sport charter operator for the chance of maybe taking home 10 or 20 pounds of fish. I didn't find it funny. I found it disgusting.

I would ask that you support the measures and proposals put forth by the BC sport fishing industry and lobby Minister Jordan on our behalf.

Sincerely,

Back