DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

What's the purpose of posting all of that screen shot data?

To show people lurking on here/on fence that are possibly not going to fill out survey what is being sent in from NGO groups like Raincoast Conservation. That info I posted is on there public page (link below) and also sent out on members e-mail lists.
That's why I did it.

Last edited:
Thanks
I think got it straight now
conjecture right
No proof Rainforest are directing their member to filling out the survey ??
Let me know when you find that direct instruction as I do not follow Rainforest.
No need to post the complete survey with how you think others might,
Happy to see we are directing our members of this forum to fill out the survey.

To show people lurking on here/on fence that are possibly not going to fill out survey what is being sent in from NGO groups like Raincoast Conservation. That info I posted is on there public page (link below) and also sent out on members e-mail lists.
That's why I did it.
Rodger that. Do you think that filling in the survey without the same pushback will result in a positive change in the industry on the fishery side?

Rodger that. Do you think that filling in the survey without the same pushback will result in a positive change in the industry on the fishery side?

Morning. I don't find any logic at all with not doing it. What is that solving? Feels like giving my boat keys to environmental lobby IMHO.

You already know there will be great deal of people that will ask for even more closures. It can't be more obvious with what I posted.

Also anyone with business should use it again as an opportunity to make comments on how it impacts you economically as well.

As for pushback I think your misinformed if you think no one's pushing back on any of this. It also not just area specific. All of groups are generally working same cause. I am also wondering where your getting this from.

As for a big united group. I support SFI myself. I just find that works for me. Many other lobby organizations you can support. I can assure none of them are just taking and bowing down.

If you feel you can do it better you and a bunch of your friends should give them a hand. Lot if them wouldn't say no. Good luck.

I spent a nauseating evening yesterday answering the SRKW Survey. Since there is nothing left to destroy in the Pender Island area, I have the choice of A Same cr*p as last year or B same cr*p as last year! which is NOTHING. However I forged through it and used as many of the extra input boxes as possible to repeat all the common sense alternatives to the draconian political closures that they have dumped on us, knowing full well that they will all be ignored. So I will sit on Pender Bluffs and watch where we used to fish, and see virtually no Killer whales, SRKW or others, through the Spring and Summer. But also watch an endless stream of everything, other than fishing boats, stream through the supposedly closed area, with virtually no enforcement. Am I bitter, you bet your #ss .

I spent a nauseating evening yesterday answering the SRKW Survey. Since there is nothing left to destroy in the Pender Island area, I have the choice of A Same cr*p as last year or B same cr*p as last year! which is NOTHING. However I forged through it and used as many of the extra input boxes as possible to repeat all the common sense alternatives to the draconian political closures that they have dumped on us, knowing full well that they will all be ignored. So I will sit on Pender Bluffs and watch where we used to fish, and see virtually no Killer whales, SRKW or others, through the Spring and Summer. But also watch an endless stream of everything, other than fishing boats, stream through the supposedly closed area, with virtually no enforcement. Am I bitter, you bet your #ss .
I just received the link below which I hope opens up OK. It confirms the waste of time that the Interim Whale Sanctuary at Pender Bluffs is and debunks the argument that it is some kind of special foraging area, that DFO was using to justify the total closure of the area when one sighting anywhere on inside waters would shut the area down for the rest of the season. Thanks to scientific evidence collected from our neighbours to the south. I hope our various advisory councils are aware of it. Twelve page file. Check out the conclusion!

Attachments

• OBI-2023-ISZs-and-SRKWs.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
I just received the link below which I hope opens up OK. It confirms the waste of time that the Interim Whale Sanctuary at Pender Bluffs is and debunks the argument that it is some kind of special foraging area, that DFO was using to justify the total closure of the area when one sighting anywhere on inside waters would shut the area down for the rest of the season. Thanks to scientific evidence collected from our neighbours to the south. I hope our various advisory councils are aware of it. Twelve page file. Check out the conclusion!
open after I downloaded the pdf file...
good info thanks for posting

open after I downloaded the pdf file...
good info thanks for posting
Important portions of the above study
Based on this study, we suggest that the areas chosen off North Pender and Saturna Islands do
not have the highest impact potential for protection of SRKW foraging grounds in their summer
core habitat area. While there has been some evidence that foraging occurs at a low rate off
Pender Island (Scott-Hayward et al., 2015; Ashe et al., 2010), no such evidence exists in the
literature around Saturna Island. In recent years (2017-2022) there has been no evidence of
foraging behavior around either of these two sites (Orca Behavior Institute, unpublished data).
Similarly to the Robson Bight (Michael Bigg) Ecological Reserve (RBMBER), the Pender and
Saturna Island ISZs are extremely small (Pender Island ISZ is ~8.5km2 and Saturna Island ISZ
is ~3.35km2 ). Unlike the RBMBER, which has specific cultural significance in its relatively small
area, the two Gulf Island ISZs do not reflect the foraging ecology of SRKW, which involves
spreading out up to 10km2 and actively foraging for up to 2-3 hours (Wiles, 2004). This study
provides evidence that the Pender and Saturna ISZs are not the best available candidates for
the purpose that they were originally intended in “reducing acoustic and physical disturbance
from vessels in key portions of Southern Resident killer whale foraging areas” (Department of
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, 2022)
Conclusion:
According to this study the Pender and Saturna Island ISZs are not the best available
candidates for the purpose that they were originally intended. Their sizes are too small to be
relevant to the foraging ecology of SRKW and their geographic positioning are not in areas that
the literature cites as highly valuable for foraging. This study has also found that these areas are
not among the top 10% of areas that SRKW spend their time in during the ISZ enforcement
period (June-November

I totally think Canadas DFO biologists are doing too many psychedelic mushrooms. That map makes no sense and is an embarrassment to the taxpayers funding this science. There are barely any sport fishers on the coast to make a dimple in stocks.
I saw a story a few years ago we were helicopter dropping salmon in front of a killer whale with antibiotics to try and nourish it. LOL

I totally think Canadas DFO biologists are doing too many psychedelic mushrooms. That map makes no sense and is an embarrassment to the taxpayers funding this science. There are barely any sport fishers on the coast to make a dimple in stocks.
I saw a story a few years ago we were helicopter dropping salmon in front of a killer whale with antibiotics to try and nourish it. LOL

it's a polotical map not a scientific one

Whats wrong with from Apr 1 - March 31, catch your 10 springs anywhere any size. So many ppl still wont take 10.

make it like hunting tags so people dont cheat and reprint licenses. Done.

Back