DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

Is SFAB able to share is advice submitted to DFO? It would be great to know option/options where given
The SFAB doesn't make public the advice offered to DFO until official minutes of the meeting are circulated, reviewed for accuracy and approved. Normally takes about a week to get those typed up, circulated to SFAB Executive, reviewed and then released to the SFAC Chairs who in turn will circulate SFAB meeting minutes to their local constituents. By then DFO has typically made a Public announcement unless there are technical concerns with the advice offered. Fairly confident you will see an announcement prior to Feb 15.

I also attend all meetings but the problem is when Halibut is talked about , we have no idea what the tonnage is, so how do you know what to ask for or how to manage properly. The next thing we hear is we have made recommendations to DFO , so what did we recommend??? , if its a good recommendation it shouldn't be a secret. this info should be transparent. This is not the way you engage people for the best solution , if anything its drives people further apart

The Ground Fish Shell Fish Working Group (GFSFWG) and the SFAB Main Board meetings are open to the public to attend as observers. We had 9 inquiries from members of the public. Each were extended an opportunity to pre-register to attend the virtual meetings - 3 requested to pre-register and were sent the meeting agenda and links to the meetings, only 2 actually attended.

I was one of those who attended as an observer. Although I had to step away from time to time, I was able to sit for all but 2-3 hours over the course of two very full days. Ironically I had to attend to an urgent call and ended up missing the vote on what would be the motion going forward regarding Halibut regulations for up coming season. (Go figure).

I have not always agreed with decisions made and I have respectfully put that out here more than once over the years. In regards to some of them my thoughts have not been changed.
Through attending and replacing assumption with real time observation some of them have as well.

I am really glad I had the opportunity to do this. I came away with a far better understanding of the process and the challenges the SFAB faces when addressing issues that some of us might see as rather simple. It is not perfect, but there is definitely a desire in the room to continually improve the effectiveness of the process. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and dedication amongst this group. I was very impressed with how quickly multiple hands went up to offer more of their time and experience every time the need to do more presented itself. (It is really quite sad that at times DFO does not utilize this knowledge in a more sincere and inclusive way.)
I recommend attending as an observer to anyone who has a genuine interest in understanding better the process and the efforts being made . You may, like myself walk a way with a renewed appreciation for the efforts . And who knows it may dispel a misconception or miss interpretation that bothers you.

Cheers: Ray

Ok then. Can someone educate me why the SFAB community isn't able to find out what the SFAB recommended to DFO? Why is this recommendation secret at this point when it should have reflected the input of the membership? Do you sign NDAs?

I'm not trying to agitate, but I honestly do not understand why this isn't public to at the very least SFAB participants, let alone the broader angling community.

Ok then. Can someone educate me why the SFAB community isn't able to find out what the SFAB recommended to DFO? Why is this recommendation secret at this point when it should have reflected the input of the membership? Do you sign NDAs?

I'm not trying to agitate, but I honestly do not understand why this isn't public to at the very least SFAB participants, let alone the broader angling community.
It’s been explained already........ give it a rest

You can always contact DFO if you’re still unsure.

My buddy is fairly certain they proposed 1 over 90cm per day with a possession of 1 - Max 133cm or two under 90cm per day with a possession of two.

Yes, answer was provided. The announcement will be out soon enough.
I see the answer as being "it takes a week to write up the minutes"...which i get, its a pain and requires multiple reviews.

What if the outcome of these meetings were delivered as a press release including only the salient points? A one pager takes an hour to write, review and circulate.

I get that its only a week, but leaving membership in the dark for that week isn't exactly how you encourage participation and help people understand their voices have been heard.

I recognize that I have absolutely and completely flogged this dead horse, so I will leave it with that last suggestion. Thanks for your efforts and time supporting the rec fishery, we need more people like those here who are engaged at every level of the process.

Perhaps u can ask your local chair...I'm sure he will be more then happy to have a conversation with you :)

Ill tell you how it works in simple terms . The boys in the SFAB are good representing us as the joe angler and for all Canadians they do alot of work on there own time and effort ,, They do whats asked by the people in the room at a given time motions are put forth , they draw it up..
THEN they put those suggestions in form and present it to DFO So DFO mulls over it looks at it maybe consult a bit...let is slide for a while ...

THEN DFO does what they want sometimes completely ignoring what the guys have done so hard for. So blaming the boys is a fine line as they have helped .. trust me they know whats gonna happen sometimes but cant make it public hence why you think they are being tight lipped. Cause if they say something that DFO "may" have promised ... You fisherman will freak.

Now me personally I would say some unchosen words to them, and say quit picking on us give us some bigge, drop the salmon restrictions , in a perfect world we need to something drastic as it seems when you do you get what you want sort of like a kid acting out of control they win...(its the liberal way)
I used to have the fight in me but im old now and tired...

So give the guys like derby,searun,SV some credit .... You may not always agree with them but be thankful we are "allowed to fish"

Good luck wolf

Ill tell you how it works in simple terms . The boys in the SFAB are good representing us as the joe angler and for all Canadians they do alot of work on there own time and effort ,, They do whats asked by the people in the room at a given time motions are put forth , they draw it up..
THEN they put those suggestions in form and present it to DFO So DFO mulls over it looks at it maybe consult a bit...let is slide for a while ...

THEN DFO does what they want sometimes completely ignoring what the guys have done so hard for. So blaming the boys is a fine line as they have helped .. trust me they know whats gonna happen sometimes but cant make it public hence why you think they are being tight lipped. Cause if they say something that DFO "may" have promised ... You fisherman will freak.

Now me personally I would say some unchosen words to them, and say quit picking on us give us some bigge, drop the salmon restrictions , in a perfect world we need to something drastic as it seems when you do you get what you want sort of like a kid acting out of control they win...(its the liberal way)
I used to have the fight in me but im old now and tired...

So give the guys like derby,searun,SV some credit .... You may not always agree with them but be thankful we are "allowed to fish"

Good luck wolf
They absolutely deserve credit, and I may have come off combative. I'm not trying to be, just think there is a way to convey the recommendation without the delay.

I certainly don't mean to minimize the contributions of these people, and apologize if that's how it came out.

Thank you Wolf - appreciate your understanding and explaining how the SFAB volunteers do their best to optimize opportunity.

There are no particular secrets regarding what was recommended to DFO from the SFAB, however there is ongoing (post SFAB MB Meeting) discussion regarding potential regulatory options that may or may not be available to add greater flexibility to tools we have such as Variation Orders.

The ongoing discussion and technical investigation is in response to the SFAB's questions regarding how Variation Orders could be utilized to shift daily and possession limits up or down in response to effort/catch shifts related to Covid may shift the outcome of advice offered.

I appreciate folks are very keen for answers, however the outcome may look a little different depending on the technical advice coming forward in the next few days. We may be able to put something forward late tomorrow.

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)style='mso-special-character:line-break'>

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0133-Recreational - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut: Fishery Opening February 15, 2021

For 2021, the recreational halibut fishery allocation is 914,750 pounds.

The following measures will be in effect coast wide as noted below:

Open time:

Effective at 00:01 hours February 15, 2021 fishing for halibut will be opened
coast-wide until further notice.

Licensing:

The 2020/2021 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence, are in effect until March 31, 2021. The 2021/2022 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence are in effect from April 1, 2021 until March 31, 2022.

Limits and sizes:

Effective February 15, 2021 until further notice:

- The maximum length for halibut is 126cm (97cm head-off).

- The daily and possession limit for halibut is either of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 97 cm head-off),

OR

---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

- The annual limit is six (6) halibut per licence holder per licence year, as set out on the 2020/21 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.

- All halibut retained by the licence holder between February 15, 2021 and March 31, 2021 shall be immediately recorded on the 2020/2021 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence, or, if mobile access is immediately available, the licence holder may record catch in the National Recreational Licensing System. The area from which each halibut is caught and its head-on length shall immediately be recorded.

- All halibut retained by the licence holder between April 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022 shall be immediately recorded on the 2021/2022 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence, or, if mobile access is immediately available, the licence holder may record catch in the National Recreational Licensing System. The area from which each halibut is caught and its head-on length shall immediately be recorded.

- Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.

The exceptions to these openings are:

Areas 121:
No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in Area 121 outside the 12 nautical mile limit seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees 34.000 minutes and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes W and continues south easterly at a bearing of 116 degrees True to a point at 48 degrees 28.327 minutes and 125 degrees 01.687 minutes W.

Area 121:
Closed to all finfish, year round in the waters of Swiftsure Bank, inside a line from 48 degrees 34.00 minutes N and 125 degrees 06.00 minutes W, thence to 48 degrees 34.00 minutes N and 124 degrees 54.20 minutes W, thence to 48 degrees 29.62 minutes N and 124 degrees 43.40 minutes W, thence following the International Boundary between Canada and the U.S. to 48 degrees 29.55 minutes N and 124 degrees 56.20 minutes W, thence in a straight line to the point of commencement.

Variation Orders 2021-RCT-043 (Close Time) and 2021-RFQ-044 (Quota).

Non-residents of Canada: Per Covid-related border closures, tidal water sport fishing licences are not available to non-residents of Canada at this time.

Note: Rockfish Conservation Area (RCA) and Glass Sponge Reef (GSR) closures remain in effect - refer to the following web pages for descriptions:

1)RCAs- href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint-eng.html#rca">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint-eng.html#rca
2)GSRs- href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint-eng.html#sponge">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/restricted-restreint-eng.html#sponge
Anglers are reminded of the mandatory condition of licence for the release of rockfish; all anglers in vessels shall immediately return all rockfish that are not being retained to the water and to a similar depth from which they were caught by use of an inverted weighted barbless hook or other purpose-built descender device.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contacts: Brad Beaith (South Coast - WCVI) – (250)756-7190
Erika Watkins (South Coast- ECVI) - (250)286-5882
Darren Chow (North Coast) – (250)627-3441
Greg Hornby (Regional Recreational Coordinator)(250)286-5886

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0133
Sent February 12, 2021 at 11:45
Visit us on the Web at href="http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca">http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: href="http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription">http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: href="mailto:DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca">DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

thank you!! now lets wish for a bigger max, come new licence time!!

Last edited:
Effective February 15, 2021 until further notice:

- The maximum length for halibut is 126cm (97cm head-off).

- The daily and possession limit for halibut is either of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 97 cm head-off),

OR

---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

- The annual limit is six (6) halibut per licence holder per licence year, as set out on the 2020/21 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.

Back