Early Halibut Opening

Decision made to open as soon as we can, issue is getting all the regulatory stuff completed and approvals signed off so anyone's guess at this point. But, you never know the wheels are turning.

The new RDG wants at least 5 days or more to sign off on variation orders so things don't happen fast. ....... I have heard.

Hoping not to get **** for posting this on the wrong thread, Halibut related though and didn’t know where else to post it. I think it’s a good informational article,explaining halibut ground ect..

Hoping not to get **** for posting this on the wrong thread, Halibut related though and didn’t know where else to post it. I think it’s a good informational article,explaining halibut ground ect..
Great article👍

You could just start a new thread altogether. Post it in the saltwater fishing area.

Halibut opening tomorrow

Ops Centre Fishery PAC / Centre des peches du Pacifique (DFO/MPO) <DFO.PACOpsCentre-CentredesOpsPAC.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>​

12:01 PM (4 minutes ago)
to me

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0084-Recreational - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut - Fishery Opening February 3, 2024

Effective at 00:01 hours February 3, 2024 until further notice recreational fishing for halibut will open coast-wide with the following measures in effect as noted below:

Licensing:

The 2023/2024 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence, are in effect until March 31, 2024. The 2024/2025 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence will be in effect from April 1, 2024 until March 31, 2025.

A subsequent Fishery Notice will be released prior to the start of the 2024/2025 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence which will announce the recreational halibut fishing measures from April 1, 2024 onward

Limits and sizes:

Effective at 00:01 hours February 3, 2024 until March 31, 2024:

The daily limit is one (1) halibut per day.

The possession limit for halibut is EITHER of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off),
OR
---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

No person shall retain a Halibut greater than 126 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off).

Next step is the Halibut WG will review potential options against technical data analysis to arrive at a recommendation regarding the Halibut Regulations that will be in place from April 1, 2024 to March 31, 2025. There are some additional tools that can be applied to either speed up or slow down regulatory options created through slot sizes - those are daily possession limits for example.

Bear in mind that these decisions must be reached and forwarded to DFO for their consideration with enough time for DFO approval process to take place and also the new license system and Conditions of Licence which will need to be in place prior to the new 2024/25 tidal licenses are available to purchase.

In other words a lot of moving parts and fairly short timeline for the Halibut WG to complete this task.

Meanwhile, the current condition of license is in place until the current tidal licenses expire on March 31, 2024. The only change that was made was to dial back to retention of only 1 fish per day to slow down use of TAC....but the slot sizes in place last summer remain.

Halibut opening tomorrow

Ops Centre Fishery PAC / Centre des peches du Pacifique (DFO/MPO) <DFO.PACOpsCentre-CentredesOpsPAC.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>​

12:01 PM (4 minutes ago)
to me

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0084-Recreational - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut - Fishery Opening February 3, 2024

Effective at 00:01 hours February 3, 2024 until further notice recreational fishing for halibut will open coast-wide with the following measures in effect as noted below:

Licensing:

The 2023/2024 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence, are in effect until March 31, 2024. The 2024/2025 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences and Conditions of Licence will be in effect from April 1, 2024 until March 31, 2025.

A subsequent Fishery Notice will be released prior to the start of the 2024/2025 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence which will announce the recreational halibut fishing measures from April 1, 2024 onward

Limits and sizes:

Effective at 00:01 hours February 3, 2024 until March 31, 2024:

The daily limit is one (1) halibut per day.

The possession limit for halibut is EITHER of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off),
OR
---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

No person shall retain a Halibut greater than 126 cm head-on length (102 cm head-off).
Just a heads up for folks new to the Hali Regs, the possession limit refers to a multi day trip. I was at Pedder Bay today and on their board they had posted that the Daily was either 1 over 90cm or 2 under. That is incorrect unless there has been a recent notice so be aware if you normally follow what's on the board.

Back