DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

Actually that is not the data I am asking for.
What I am trying to get my hands on is data on or info specifically on how much TAC is used by non resident anglers???

You get no argument from me on disliking the XRQ. I think I have been pretty clear on how I feel about it over the years. Hate and disgust are two words to describe my feelings.
In case I was unclear,I am not suggesting the XRQ be used to accomplish what I suggested about non residents having to get commercial quota. I am just using it as an example for saying some improved version of it could provide the portal needed to complete the transaction for them. My thinking is that the legal base is already in place. It just would need to be modified as mentioned in earlier posts.

I am looking forward to hearing how things end up after the IPHC meetings. Will be nice to know what things will look like in the spring.
There is no way to get the data to the level of detail you ask for. They do not track how XRQ is used with sufficient controls to break out who the final end user is. Due to Covid, there was no XRQ program in 2020, and likely not again in 2021. Hopefully the patient, now on life support, is declared deceased.

You won't get any data on who actually uses the XRQ - it is the service provider who buys it and charges the client, or in cases of non-guided persons it falls to them to make their own arrangements. Like I said, very poorly constructed program that has to go.

The issue we face on the Southern VI is unique in that by a fact of geography, the Neah Bay guides can make arrangements with unscrupulous tackle store owners who will act as mules in the illegal trade of obtaining licenses for Neah Bay guide clients who can in turn remove the need for their guests to travel all the way up to BC to obtain their licenses legally - then sell a charter departing and returning to Neah Bay. Simple strategy, all aimed at abusing Canada's recreational TAC. Also responsible for pushing up our use of TAC considerably in Area 121.

Canada tried to address this by making it a requirement for non-residents who retain halibut to purchase their licenses in Canada - no electronic sold licenses qualify for non-residents to retain halibut in Area 121 and 123 unless they are purchased in Canada - the system captures the IP Address to allow tracking. So this little work around is hugely problematic, and with Covid border restrictions possibly coming off, the door yet again opens for this work around.

The problem has been identified to DFO via the SFAB, so hoping progress can be made to make a simple Condition of License requiring halibut to be landed in Canada - prohibits a vessel trip here to fish for halibut, and return without actually landing. Close the loop-hole. Its far, far larger than XRQ.

Sorry for the rant, I possibly dislike this loop hole more than XRQ - imagine that.
Actually that is not the data I am asking for. What I am trying to get my hands on is any and all info specifically on how much TAC is used by non resident anglers. You get no argument from me on disliking the XRQ. I think I have been pretty clear on how I feel about it over the years. :rolleyes:. In case I was unclear,I am not suggesting the XRQ be used to accomplish what I suggested about non residents having to get commercial quota. I am just saying some version of it could provide the portal needed to complete the transamction for
There is no way to get the data to the level of detail you ask for. They do not track how XRQ is used with sufficient controls to break out who the final end user is. Due to Covid, there was no XRQ program in 2020, and likely not again in 2021. Hopefully the patient, now on life support, is declared deceased.
Thanks for answering. It appears there is still confusion as to what I am asking for. I am NOT looking for info on who uses the XRQ, or how much of the XRQ used is to non residents.

All I want to know is how much recreational tac is being used up by non residents. Do they track that? I feel they should. It feels to me like an important stat that appears to have a profound affect on our TAC.
Even if there is not exact data on that number I would think there would be an assumed/ estimated amount based on what information is available . Wouldn’t there be?

anyone following the meetings? have they announced canada's allocation yet or is that typically saved for the last day.

I read that IPHC may approve an increase of 6% to USA & Canada (About 39 Million pounds)

I read that IPHC may approve an increase of 6% to USA & Canada (About 39 Million pounds)
Better than the other direction. Hopefully they will allow some carry overy, and combined with another (unfortunately) covid season we will see a rise on the sizes this year.

Actually that is not the data I am asking for. What I am trying to get my hands on is any and all info specifically on how much TAC is used by non resident anglers. You get no argument from me on disliking the XRQ. I think I have been pretty clear on how I feel about it over the years. :rolleyes:. In case I was unclear,I am not suggesting the XRQ be used to accomplish what I suggested about non residents having to get commercial quota. I am just saying some version of it could provide the portal needed to complete the transamction for

Thanks for answering. It appears there is still confusion as to what I am asking for. I am NOT looking for info on who uses the XRQ, or how much of the XRQ used is to non residents.

All I want to know is how much recreational tac is being used up by non residents. Do they track that? I feel they should. It feels to me like an important stat that appears to have a profound affect on our TAC.
Even if there is not exact data on that number I would think there would be an assumed/ estimated amount based on what information is available . Wouldn’t there be?
Sorry, I'm not at all confused as to what you are asking for nor am I trying to dodge the question. The answer is simply they do not track whom is using the TAC. Therefore, it is impossible to track with any certainty how much is actually used by resident or non-resident anglers. Tracking is pretty loose which is a problem flagged from the outset of this program. You could put in an ATIP asking for all the sales slips and try to figure it out, but again, I highly doubt you would be able to resolve who the actual end-user of the TAC really was.

IPHC decision is 7 million pounds for Area 2b, which for rec is about 914,750 pounds after deductions for discard morts. Thereabouts anyway if calculations are correct. Slight improvement over 2020.

IPHC decision is 7 million pounds for Area 2b, which for rec is about 914,750 pounds after deductions for discard morts. Thereabouts anyway if calculations are correct. Slight improvement over 2020.

We should be able to get a good size off that, even without considering the borders are gonna stay closed. 1/2 any size certainly seems in the real of possibility.

looks like they are making it harder to travel not easier.

Sorry, I'm not at all confused as to what you are asking for nor am I trying to dodge the question. The answer is simply they do not track whom is using the TAC. Therefore, it is impossible to track with any certainty how much is actually used by resident or non-resident anglers. Tracking is pretty loose which is a problem flagged from the outset of this program. You could put in an ATIP asking for all the sales slips and try to figure it out, but again, I highly doubt you would be able to resolve who the actual end-user of the TAC really was.
Roger that.
Got a couple return emails on this from DFO today as well .

Does this include the carry over, did we get that? Or are we going to get it?
IPHC did not really address carry over, or if it did, I missed it during the meetings. The Commissioners may have discussed it while we were in the Conference Board meetings, and quite honestly I was more focused on all the non-sense the US side was advancing for re-opening the apportionment agreement. I really doubt we are going to make much traction on carry-over - not that we give up.

Roger that.
Got a couple return emails on this from DFO today as well .
Ya, wish we could get more details but the early rules didn't look to me at the time to provide full transparency around how the catch was actually accounted for and by whom etc. If someone wanted to go through all the documents perhaps they could figure it out, but I'm not sure how. We have all heard differing reports on just how easy it is to avoid actually processing XRQ fish via the program.

Love all the Facebook comments that people think that halibiut size limits are for conservation and that if we leave tac in the water it helps increase the biomass.

the sheep’s wool

I'm not going to say the size limits are for conservation...but leaving TAC in the water for a population that has historically seen higher abundance...would increase biomass...thats not the intention of the size regulation, but if there's space out there, it'll be filled.

Back