DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

Question: As I understand it in simple terms X = the science based TAC for 2Bb from the IPHC test sets determination of the current biomass etc, and Y =10% of 2020's underage from the last years 2b TAC.

If true, where do the fish that make up Y come from? Will X for 2021 not have been determined by the current state of the biomass that still has that underage in it ?

Not trying to trash the process here. I was just trying to explain it to a fishing BUD and realized I don't fully grasp it myself.

Looks like the commercial guys got their quota in BC. with a 10% carry over for them they wont be leaving any fish in the water this year

upload_2020-11-3_12-10-57.png

Know a cpl guys using DFO’s extension to get more hali. Obviously won’t be as much left over as thought. Regardless iphc test fisheries were positive.

Do you guys think there will be A LOT of halibut in commercial freezers all winter? Has to be. Restaurants closed worldwide. Next year may be when we really see a decrease in effort due to super low price as market is flooded.

Know a cpl guys using DFO’s extension to get more hali. Obviously won’t be as much left over as thought. Regardless iphc test fisheries were positive.

Do you guys think there will be A LOT of halibut in commercial freezers all winter? Has to be. Restaurants closed worldwide. Next year may be when we really see a decrease in effort due to super low price as market is flooded.

Halibut is not on my list of top items for take out that's for sure!

Carry over provision pushed till annual meeting in new year.
Maybe I’m blind but usually they put forward provisional numbers for recommended catch for the next year at interim meeting but couldn’t find it. Those are rarely the Final numbers however but was curious to see anyway.

Just going over the numbers for 2021. Although will make a new thread in Feb for that....but believe our # will be around 950,000 to 970,000lbs (talked to someone in the know and fairly sure our carry over provision will be approved as DFO backed it).

1/1 Any size = 940,000 lbs or so
1/2 both under 112cm (40lbs) = 920,000 lbs or so

This is from 2018 halibut management options numbers. This would be pretty good given a normal year, never mind a year where we can easily say June will not be open to US in Canada...90% whole summer will be closed to US guests. Considering whole summer will be closed my vote is 1/2 no size limit period as we still as CDN's only won't use that up. But I know SFAB is scared of even coming close to the number so with that being said the above option gives anglers OPTIONS....which is what their goal should be all about, as the hybrid model (you're welcome :D jokes) is all about.

I actually think if they go no size limit it would bring back old Hali guys that left cus of the horrible previous regs. I think the prospect of having no size limit would encourage guys to hit it hard. When else again would an opportunity like that happen again.

kind of a hot take, I do agree tho that there should be more done this year tho to use it.

Last edited:
I actually think if they go no size limit it would bring back old Hali guys that left cus of the horrible previous regs. I think the prospect of having no size limit would encourage guys to hit it hard. When else again would an opportunity like that happen again.

kind of a hot take, I do agree tho that there should be more done this year tho to use it.

Always enjoy and really think you are a one of the good well thought takes on the forum WMY. With that being said, a Canadian only summer (which I think most of us can agree is about as likely as taxes) means we would still have LOTS of room left over regardless of that. Isn't the goal to make as many involved in fisheries and out fishing as possible? Also I HIGHLY would debate people don't fish for halibut as they can't keep a 70+lb fish. Just do not buy that bag of seeds for a second. And I don't want to hear the conservation debate....commercial take 85% and take whatever they want. Give the Public the options. It would revitalize many derbies too which is great for fundraising efforts.

All I am trying to do is give anglers OPTIONS. You'd assume SFAB is also trying to do that.

Last edited:
On our Winter Harbour charter we had to release a couple of oversized fish that both appeared to be in the 100 lb class. In past years we have cheerfully paid the extra to retain fish like these, but were told the commercial quota buyback program was suspended in 2020 due to the pandemic. Makes no sense as this is a paperwork matter that requires no in-person interaction (and DFO still had creel inspectors on the docks anyway).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Will it happen again in 2021? It's another deterrent to people booking charters IMO, at least repeat groups like ours will think twice given the spotty accessibility to salmon as well. With another season of no American guests likely, the guides and lodges will need every source of revenue they can get.

Hey I would like nothing more than to see any size i just think it could create a gold rush mentality.

could Canadians actually use all the TAC I guess that will be up to the models.

li think it would be awesome to see

Hey I would like nothing more than to see any size i just think it could create a gold rush mentality.

could Canadians actually use all the TAC I guess that will be up to the models.

li think it would be awesome to see
For what it is worth, I agree that relaxed regs will equate to some folks getting back to it after a regulation induced absence. Even within my small circle there are a few that gave up coming over for a halibut specific trip due to regs. I don’t know that it would be enough to hurt us, but effort likely will increase a bit.

I do agree Serengeti, any opportunity to put more options in front of Canadians taking part in Canada’s Public fishery should be prioritized.

Also, this most recent conversation speaks volumes .

Last edited:
It today’s world so much of it depends on angler success and social media promotion

On our Winter Harbour charter we had to release a couple of oversized fish that both appeared to be in the 100 lb class. In past years we have cheerfully paid the extra to retain fish like these, but were told the commercial quota buyback program was suspended in 2020 due to the pandemic. Makes no sense as this is a paperwork matter that requires no in-person interaction (and DFO still had creel inspectors on the docks anyway).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Will it happen again in 2021? It's another deterrent to people booking charters IMO, at least repeat groups like ours will think twice given the spotty accessibility to salmon as well. With another season of no American guests likely, the guides and lodges will need every source of revenue they can get.
you bought quota? ew.

The "experimental" lease/quota buy back program for the recreational sector is a dangerous slippery slope that pits the rec sector against each other. At its core is the serious concern of commercializing the public/citizens right to catch halibut which is ultimately a common public resource that belongs to all Canadian citizens and FN's. It is only "managed" by the Crown via DFO for Canadian citizens and FN's "benefit".

Unfortunately the DFO and their political masters are increasingly commercializing our common property resources (don't believe it - try going rec. fishing on the east coast!) and it will take a supreme court case to hopefully re-establish/reaffirm these hard fought for rights that go all the way back to the Magna Carta. I do NOT use or support the use of the experimental lease buy back program - and strongly encourage all other public anglers to do the same!

This lease/quota buy back program is a ploy by DFO to move us to a model that ultimately could lead to the public having to pay a fee for any fish they catch as is belongs to some other group or corporate entity. That is total BS and must be fought hard against. It is a very dangerous slippery slope that will seriously screw the public fishery in the end!

We need to stick together in the rec./public fishery and not participate (both as individual anglers and as businesses) in this flawed lease buy back program so it can fail and fast! The real and lasting solution is not to pay for a resource we ALL already own, but to push to have a larger science based TAC for the rec. sector that has been given priority access for social and economic benefits that the public fishery brings. Then the rec. sector can much better support a healthy local businesses and coastal economies. Time to work together as a sector to truly improve this flawed halibut allocation process.

Here is an excerpt from a BCWF letter from Oct. 10, 2017 on the the topic
Anger has also resulted from the fact that the decision to close the public fishery was announced in a fishery notice that reminded anglers they could continue to access halibut by utilizing the so-called “Experimental Licence” (XRQ) program to lease quota. This program was designed by a previous Minister and drives a wedge between the angling public, who have a right of access to a public property resource, and opportunists who, without understanding the implications, are willing to pay to lease an opportunity to access the resource. We provided much comment and criticism during a RIAS of the XRQ proposal and have been waiting several years to see the results properly reported, and the XRQ dismissed as a failure. In the meantime, your Department saw fit to encourage its use despite disproportionate expense, a lack of enforcement and an inability to reliably track catch. The XRQ is not a solution to the inequity in the current formula nor is it a workable market based transfer mechanism between sectors.
Here is a link to the whole letter:
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...creational-halibut-fishery.67605/#post-850187

There are many more similar posts like this on this and other forums - just need to do a search to find them.

Last edited:

We need an unlike button

Back