PAINTERS LODGE CAMBELL RIVER STOP

Hello Team!

I will be taking my family on our beloved annual trip to Critter Cove next weekend and this year we decided to add in a 2 night stop in Campbell River at Painters Lodge. Looking for any tips or suggestions on the best way to spend time on the boat and in this area. We have not fished nor cruised this side of the island but looks like Desolation Sound is within reach for a day trip and worth going to? Or suggestions on good spots to fish? (our local waters are the south Puget Sound and we prefer jigging and mooching but will troll when in unfamiliar waters and need to cover more ground)

Our boat is a 27' whaler center console so day trips only but my son feels 50mph is a "reasonable" cruising speed as he doesn't ay the gas bill so we can cover some distance fairly comfortably...so just looking for experienced advice of the type towards: "if I were you I would x" while on station there.

Thanks in advance for any friendly tips!

Amatuer Hour

The island secrets have been handed down with pride.best if your traveling not to deviate from your trip plan to much or you may miss your oppertunity at CC .so keep it simple in CR town.stock up on supplys .test the motors at disco marina.jig the pier at duncan .troll the cove across from CR .and enjoy the ammenitys at painters.visit the tyee club,.get icecream of the fishing pier.enjoy the family have a rest before the work begins.

There is a very nice farmers/craft/food fair at the parking lot downtown by the fishing pier, sometimes with live music. It is a fun and intresting stroll on a warm Sunday.

Refuge cove on Redonda Island has an awesome deck with food and beverages. about 50 min run from CR. From there you are entering DS , to be honest cruising around DS is pretty epic you can get to a lot of spots cruising at 50 mph. Toba inlet is spectacular, Gorge harbour on west side Cortez island also has restaurant.
If you want to fish, tides flood north to south through and around the islands look at charts and imagine how points would set up and hold bait and fish.
Sarah point on the flood tide is a productive spot.
Good luck and enjoy Desolation Sound.

If I was staying at painters I would cruise up through Seymour narrows and fish in discovery passage. Probably some pinks around for the kids. Browns bay. Deep water bay. Chatham point. Denham. Lots of good fishing and wildlife up there, rare to fish all day and not run into some whales or dolphins

If I was staying at painters I would cruise up through Seymour narrows and fish in discovery passage. Probably some pinks around for the kids. Browns bay. Deep water bay. Chatham point. Denham. Lots of good fishing and wildlife up there, rare to fish all day and not run into some whales or dolphins

This right here. Rip to Denham, Phillips Arm and Chatham. Find the pizza hut it's all amazing country for sure.

Back