Descending devises

Is that a modified fuse puller ?
It is an inverted "fish grip" lip pliers , works like vise grips bought mine on amazon but iam sure you can source them locally 14$-20$ ( also check out the band "Ratfish Wranglers"Rockfish recompression"on you tube, Alaskan fisherman who was tired of the carnage floating behind the boat! ( I know its rap:( but listen to the words)Iam totally classic rock!

Attachments

• Make your own descending device Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife.zip
    421 bytes · Views: 80
Last edited:
I have a Seaqualizer , worked great for the first 2 years but now it will not release at depth? Any Ideas I took it apart and cleaned it up but still nothing.
I suspect I know exactly what is wrong... The pneumatic cylinder head has cracked. When manufactured, there isn't enough plastic material left between the hole for the release pin and the pneumatic cylinder which slides over the fixed piston. It cracks and water now has a path into the air cylinder. I emailed Seaqualizer and they sent me a new one. They are great! I hope they solve this problem. Needs a minor design upgrade.

I suspect I know exactly what is wrong... The pneumatic cylinder head has cracked. When manufactured, there isn't enough plastic material left between the hole for the release pin and the pneumatic cylinder which slides over the fixed piston. It cracks and water now has a path into the air cylinder. I emailed Seaqualizer and they sent me a new one. They are great! I hope they solve this problem. Needs a minor design upgrade.
Thanks I will check that out.

Seaqualizer works great on downrigger. With good electronics you can see on your screen when the fish is released and then swims the rest of the way to the bottom. I descended several in the last couple days but keep forgetting to get a screen shot. Well worth the expense and effort to be good stewards of the resource.
I thought it was a great idea to clip it to the cannon ball until I lost the ball, so let's see $30 for the ball and $80 for the Seaqualizer, not a good day . :) . Got another one and going to attach it to a rod and weight. My luck I'll drop it all over the side hahaha

I thought it was a great idea to clip it to the cannon ball until I lost the ball, so let's see $30 for the ball and $80 for the Seaqualizer, not a good day . :) . Got another one and going to attach it to a rod and weight. My luck I'll drop it all over the side hahaha

Depending on the size of the rockfish it may not work. I have had a few jumbo yellow eyes that a 10lb weight was barley able to decend the fish. The big ones are like a basketball.

I had 2 I caught westside of Haida that my 20# balls struggled to get back down. At first I thought I had shortrakers, but closer look and they were monster yellow eyes. Once they got down about 200' they came back to life and were fighting the downrigger. It was a good sign

When mine stopped working they replaced it free as well, dont throw it out!

Also watch the boat and fishing shows. We picked one up free two years back at the Victoria boat show just for agreeing to do a survey for DFO at the end of the season. Works a charm, too.

I have a shelton - have not had to use it yet, brand new to bottom fishing, but thought about just attaching it to the down rigger. After dropping it down, will bringing up the rigger pull enough to get the device out of the fish and release it, or do you need that stronger jerk?

I have a shelton - have not had to use it yet, brand new to bottom fishing, but thought about just attaching it to the down rigger. After dropping it down, will bringing up the rigger pull enough to get the device out of the fish and release it, or do you need that stronger jerk?
just bump the retrieve button a couple times.

I just use an inverted 12 oz jig head on a old beater rod. Just tie it securely at the bend of the hook. Put the de-barbed hook through the lip of the Rock-fish. Send it down and give it a jerk. Works great.
Inverted jig hook, or similar hook-style descenders don't work for me. Rockfish just falls off the hook and fishing time is lost trying to get it back. When this has worked, 15 minutes effort has been expended and the rockfish is probably dead. Seaquilizer is cheap when time savings is considered. Given these fish mature at ages older than humans, I can't justify killing rockfish when lingcod are plentiful and have a lot more meat.

Inverted jig hook, or similar hook-style descenders don't work for me. Rockfish just falls off the hook and fishing time is lost trying to get it back. When this has worked, 15 minutes effort has been expended and the rockfish is probably dead. Seaquilizer is cheap when time savings is considered. Given these fish mature at ages older than humans, I can't justify killing rockfish when lingcod are plentiful and have a lot more meat.
Inverted hook works fine for me. Takes a bit of coordination. Fish never leaves the water. Takes about 30 seconds. $90 bucks isn't "cheap" to me.

Inverted hook works fine for me. Takes a bit of coordination. Fish never leaves the water. Takes about 30 seconds. $90 bucks isn't "cheap" to me.
Depends on how much freeboard on your boat. I have the same issue as Matt16, difficult for me to keep the fish at water level.
If you have to 'drop' the fish into the water it usually falls of the hook before sinking...

Depends on how much freeboard on your boat. I have the same issue as Matt16, difficult for me to keep the fish at water level.
If you have to 'drop' the fish into the water it usually falls of the hook before sinking...
Yeah, I was thinking that. Different story in my little tinner where at times I could certainly use a little more freeboard.o_O

Was on sale on Amazon Cdn

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210505-122645_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210505-122645_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 66
Back