SeaQualizer failure

Redfisher

I’ve just had another SeaQualizer fail on me. This one has seen very little usage in past 3 years. First time using it this year and it won’t open at depth to release the cod. Tried it 5 or 6 times and it never did work. Even tried all the different depth settings.

I’ve used them lots in the past and am familiar with how they work etc. Any advice on how to fix this thing or do they just fail internally? It’s well rinsed out and works perfect in my hand.

Thanks.

I've had the same problem. It seems to work OK for fish at the 100' -150' level. Anything past that, the fish just come to surface, still bloated.
Any suggestions? We fish in 250' to 300' and have a real issue returning safely releasing fish.

I've had the same problem. It seems to work OK for fish at the 100' -150' level. Anything past that, the fish just come to surface, still bloated.
Any suggestions? We fish in 250' to 300' and have a real issue returning safely releasing fish.
Mine is simply not releasing. I attach to downrigger for use so I know the depths it’s at. I’ve tried going slower, I’ve tried stopping for a while at different depths. I’ve tried going much deeper than the setting etc. These things working properly should just release somewhere around the depth they are set at.

You need to buy the deeper release version with the 100-200-300’ settings. We also have the shallower one with 50-100-150’ settings and past about 250’ it releases too soon. We have a manual one made out of an old spreader bar for deeper drops.

I expect that the mechanism is not the most robust. Not that it is a bad design, but it's designed to detect a relatively small difference in pressure and anything in saltwater environment is going to take some abuse. Make sure to also back off to the lowest setting after rinsing.

We had one about two or three years old not work when we went to use it the first time this year. We always keep at least one spare on board.

You only need to descend the fish to 1/3 to 1/2 the depth, so the standard model which releases at 150' should be good to anything caught less than 400'.

You need to buy the deeper release version with the 100-200-300’ settings. We also have the shallower one with 50-100-150’ settings and past about 250’ it releases too soon. We have a manual one made out of an old spreader bar for deeper drops.
My problem is that it doesn’t release. It should release at or around the depth it is set at.

Does anyone have a tip for fixing these? Ie. soak in Vinegar or WD 40 etc. Or does the internal mechanism just fail and it’s done? At $100 a pop now I’m not impressed with it failing after minimal usage.

Thanks I'll give it try.

I sent them an email Friday. I really enjoyed using the product when I was guiding on the central coast but there I used the 100-300’ one. I actually brought up my own 50-150’ one the first year as no one in the lodge was familiar with them. After a few weeks they ordered a bunch so all boats had them.

I had this happen last year. Their customer service was great. They sent a free replacement in a very timely manner. I was impressed.
I’ve heard great things about there warranty as well havnt had to use it myself yet tho

Ive got a couple on the boat and I’ve run them down empty to check operation and haven’t had an issue. Every spring I lube them up with WD, cycle a few times and good to go. They’re a mechanical mechanism and need maintenance too.

Everything that enters that water out there has to be cleaned and lubed regularly. Ive had mine since the regulations came out and its never failed. But its often rinsed with fresh water at the end of the day along with everything else in the boat, on the boat and the boat. Also lube it with Mystery oil before a trip and again at the end of the trip at home before the winter hibernation. Every thing that is used out there including my dock lines are washed in warm soap water, rinsed and put away. Every last piece of equipment that moves is lubed and dried then put away.

Maintenance boys,,, the key to successful trouble free outings.

Back