depth sounder/fish finder

H

heavy nets33

are depth finders and fish finders hard to install? Ive never done it before.

Thanks, heavy nets

not hard at all, you may have to drill a couple holes in the dash to mount the unit and a couple of small ones in the transom for the transducer.
2 wires to the battery, third one runs all the way back to transducer.
You generally get all the wiring and mounting hardware included.

Thanks r.s craven. Is it a good idea to buy them used or should I just buy em brand new?

Thanks, heavy nets

Buy them new if you can afford it,look at it this way,if you pay 500 new use it till new technolgy comes along,then sell it for 250 your cost was really only 250,same as you are going to pay used right now.A suggestion on the transom glue[cant remember the 3m number]a piece of oak, or some new space age plastic on where you are mounting your transducer,make it about a foot long or so,screw into that,the fiberglas does'nt have any holes through it to cause rot later on,you also then have the option of moving the transducer if its not quite located properly.DAN

quote:Originally posted by Merrittboy

when u drill in the transom does it need to go all the way through?

nope, the screws are only there to secure the transducer to the transom. they are usually about 3/8" -1/2" long
drill a small pilot hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the screw, caulk the hole and then secure the transducer.

quote:Originally posted by heavy nets33

Thanks r.s craven. Is it a good idea to buy them used or should I just buy em brand new?

Thanks, heavy nets

they start around 200 bucks for a decent gray scale
unit. color units more expensive.
I would buy new, then you have a warranty.:)

I dont really know what any of this means haha. Thanks everybody!

heavy nets

make sure you read the directions good for the position of the transducer as cavitation from the prop will affect performance I agonized for a few days over mine before I drilled holes in my baby -- also i had to cut a few inches off my bunk after because it extended past the stern a bit and i didn't want it to punt the transducer off --- works well though garim 250 deep blue

Another option for your transducer

I have been meaning to post that I got a new transducer for my Eagle 480 DF and was told just to set it in my bildge with a little water (My boat is an O/B and see how it works. WOW 30 mph and true contoured bottom and for the first time fish arcs and bait stacks while cruising. More detail then ever before. However this doesn't work for all boats must be solid fiberglass below where you put the transducer. The reason for the water is it tricks the sounder into believing that it's in water (Solid Mass). I didn't want to epoxy it in only to find out it didn't work and I am still not going to. I love finally having a sounder that truly works.:D

Cheers ME

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

I have been meaning to post that I got a new transducer for my Eagle 480 DF and was told just to set it in my bildge with a little water (My boat is an O/B and see how it works. WOW 30 mph and true contoured bottom and for the first time fish arcs and bait stacks while cruising. More detail then ever before. However this doesn't work for all boats must be solid fiberglass below where you put the transducer. The reason for the water is it tricks the sounder into believing that it's in water (Solid Mass). I didn't want to epoxy it in only to find out it didn't work and I am still not going to. I love finally having a sounder that truly works.:D

Cheers ME

Fish arcs at full bore??? That is dang impressive! I have given up using my skimmer mount transducer for anything but trolling speeds.

LC I know it's hard to believe but I to was blown away!! 30 mph still solid detailed bottom on 200mhz in 250 ft of water. Guess thats why so many hard cores go with a thru hull same thing.....

Before this I drilled no less then 20 holes to get the best set up on the transom and it is not even close to what I see now at cruise let alone trolling

Cheers ME

quote:Originally posted by MyEscape

I have been meaning to post that I got a new transducer for my Eagle 480 DF and was told just to set it in my bildge with a little water (My boat is an O/B and see how it works. WOW 30 mph and true contoured bottom and for the first time fish arcs and bait stacks while cruising. More detail then ever before.

Is this just your everyday standard transom mount transducer? I might have to try that if it is.

ok guys, when you say that you place the transducer in the hull what do u mean by that! I was going to mount it on the transom but?? So maybe u can explain this to me, it sounds too easy. Thanks.

Just screw it to the INSIDE of the transom so your transducer is against the bottom of the hull. As long as there is a little water between the transducer and the hull (Most Bilges should have a bit), it should shoot right through to bottom of the boat. I have just never heard of it working as well as ME's, but it is simple enough to test. Stick it in the bilge against a flat part of the bottom of the hull and go.

I am going to install the one u sold me so hopefully it will work! It sounded like he just put the transducer without screwing it in! wouldn't it jump all over?/ You back from Renfrew? I hope to be heading out on Wednesday, Friday for sure. Thinking that I MIGHT give the bank a try, I dont know! What is the least thickest line I can get away with out there??

quote:Originally posted by Merrittboy

I am going to install the one u sold me so hopefully it will work! It sounded like he just put the transducer without screwing it in! wouldn't it jump all over?/ You back from Renfrew? I hope to be heading out on Wednesday, Friday for sure. Thinking that I MIGHT give the bank a try, I dont know! What is the least thickest line I can get away with out there??

The transducer you got from me would work, you screw it to the INSIDE of your transom at the botton so it points down. Or just put a rock or something on it for testing. I have heard of guys siliconing it to the hull as well.

For the bank, I use 80 pound tuff line on both my salmon and hali rods (Just so I can switch reels around and whatnot in a pinch). If you plan on fishing Hali's, just don't even bother with mono line except for leaders, with a 2 pounder on the end, you will get about 10 feet of stretch as you jig, or try to set the hook. A lot of guys use 100-120 pound or thicker, but I really don't think that anyone puts more then about 30 pound of pressure on it when the line is coming off the end of a 6 foot rod!

I'll be up Wednesday Morning or Tues night for a week, I'm curious to see how that transducer works through hull, I'll be around the marina, come find me and I'll give you a hand if I have a chance.

Back