Deep cycle battery problem

kunni

Ok, so as some of you know I fish lake with an electric motor hooked up to a nautilus motomaster deep cycle battery. I have had the battery for about 4 years. I hooked the battery up to the charger a few days ago, in preparation for a fishing trip. After about 8 hours of charging, I went out to check on it. The charge state had not changed at all, and there was an extremely strong smell of sulphur when I walked into the garage it was charging in. I imediatley left the room, and put on a face shield, and covered up. I walked over to the battery, and unplugged the charger. I could hear the acid in the battery literally boiling. The battery was shaking, and extremely hot to touch, I could not hold my hand on the outside of the battery for more than 1/2 second. I move the battery out of the garage and let it sit and cool down. I have not used the battery since then, or hooked up the charger. I dont really want to use it, as I dont want the thing to blow up on me. I assume that one of the cells in the battery opened up, and the battery is fried. Is there anything that causes this to happen or is it just usual wear and tear? Anyone have a recycling station for these kinds of batteries? Does anyone have a deep cycle battery the no longer need, I am in the market for a new battery?

Kunni

wet battery, maintenance free is fully sealed.

Kunni

Dont buy anymore of those Nautalus batteries, I know of a few people that have had nothing but troubles
that being said tho before we go blaming crappy tire batteries is it possible the battery was left dead over the winter?
if so a dead battery will freeze and warp plates inside or crack the case,
the smell you were getting is from the battery sulfating, generally once its lived its life.
replace the battery with a quality brand and be done, I like interstate batteries, havebeen using them in all my vehicles with no issues for a number of years now.

Dont buy anymore of those Nautalus batteries, I know of a few people that have had nothing but troubles
that being said tho before we go blaming crappy tire batteries is it possible the battery was left dead over the winter?
if so a dead battery will freeze and warp plates inside or crack the case,
the smell you were getting is from the battery sulfating, generally once its lived its life.
replace the battery with a quality brand and be done, I like interstate batteries, havebeen using them in all my vehicles with no issues for a number of years now.

It was not left dead, I fish once a week over winter, so when it was not being used it was hooked into the charger, which was in maintenance mode. thanks for answering a few questions.

Kunni

It would seem that some of your plates in the battery shorted together, once this happens the battery acts like it is a lower voltage ie say 9 volt battery. Now your charger is trying to charge to 15 and the excess energy becomes heat. Lucky you didn't melt the case and spread acid all over, or burn the garage down.

Yep, sounds like a dead short (plates warped/shorted)...you handled it the right way. pretty dangerous situation, they can literally blow up in that state...pretty common failure for batteries and you say you use it weekly for 4 years..you got your moneys worth as they only take so many discharges before they fail or become too weak for normal use

I would also check output of charger... may no be a battery fault at all.. if charger when to 16+ volts, same thing would happen

I would also check output of charger... may no be a battery fault at all.. if charger when to 16+ volts, same thing would happen
yes I was wondering the same thing. Could be the charger just boiled it dry. Also sometime back the was a thread all about batteries and there was a lot of good info

Would you just hook a volt meter to it and turn it on? Sorry for the all the questions

Kunni

Would you just hook a volt meter to it and turn it on? Sorry for the all the questions

Kunni
yes.............

thanks

kunni

Depending on the type of charger it may not put out any voltage or current until you place a load on it. If so connect it to a battery check the voltage on the battery, then turn the charger on and recheck the voltage.

Just take the battery to Canadian tire or other battery store and they will do a load test on it for free.

Back