Daiwa M-one UTD?

Scott K

Any reviews on this reel? Is it improved in any way over previous versions or is the Shimano GT still better?

I have two diawa and one shimano. I like the daiwa better. Line creep for me with the shimano.

I completely agree, and the Daiwa's are cheaper.

That being said, I also upgraded to Amundson's this year so not totally sold on the M-One's.

I have the UTD's......washers are different.....5 or 6 of them.....can't remember exactly how many offhand.

They are carbon fiber instead of the rubbery vinyl ones before.

Good basic reel for not very much money. I never liked the Shimano. I used Daiwa M-One Plusses for years....if you overoil the rubber/vinyl washers it's possible to get line creep but I finally got it down to a science.

Caught lots of fish on the Daiwa's.

i use the m one pluses with the upgraded carbonfiber drags. zero creep, dont have to back off the drag when a fish strikes, i lube them once at the end of the year and never had a problem with them

I too am hoping the new UTD type is better as I have completely given up on the M-1 plus. worst spools ever!!! the old m-1 had a better spool.

I too am hoping the new UTD type is better as I have completely given up on the M-1 plus. worst spools ever!!! the old m-1 had a better spool.
how so? ive got 5 m1+ that ive had for 5 years with out any problems. what are yours doing?

how so? ive got 5 m1+ that ive had for 5 years with out any problems. what are yours doing?

Yeah, I agree. I have used my M1+s for a few years and have done nothing to them in terms of maintenance and they're working like the day I pulled them out of the box.

I did get the smoooth drag upgrades but have yet to install them. The drag works just fine. Are you remembering to back the drag off when you're done fishing for the day? Do you make sure to rinse them off with a light fresh water rinse when you're done fishing? That's basically all you have to do. They're pretty much as simple as a reel gets.

I'd like to know what you're experiencing.

I second backing off the drags on any reel after use. I do that after every trip.
Also rinsed of with fresh after every trip.

I have been also using the M1 UTD reels. Only complaint is the drag knob can rust to the shaft of the reel. So when your done rinsing with fresh water back the drag knob off and pull off the knob to expose the shaft and use a bit of vaseline on the threads of the shaft and maintain, should last you for years. I bought these as beginner start me out trolling reels but have had no need to replace them yet with another reel.

My trouble with the Diawa M1+ is (with 3 of them in a row), the spool gets wider and rubs against the back plate rendering them stuck/ hard to turn.

My trouble with the Diawa M1+ is (with 3 of them in a row), the spool gets wider and rubs against the back plate rendering them stuck/ hard to turn.

Wow..that's strange. I've never had anything anywhere near like that on mine......

I've had that happen on other reels where I lost the little circular spring bent washer that goes inside on the shaft before you put the spool on....

Just out of curiosity, have you read the articles on this site about putting braid backing on the spool before loading up with mono? After reading about that I purchased some CHEAP 80lb braid line from Amazon and filled up 1/2 of my spool with that then put on about 200-250ish yards of 25lb mono. I haven't had a problem like what you're describing but if I were a betting man, I would say this would solve your problem.

Back