Dacron backing

ziggy

Do many of you use it on your salmon reels and if so why? I've used it on my fly rods and noticed on many fishing shows they seem to have it spooled on their salmon reels. Is it worth doing?

Also been doing some searching on the South Island and have had no luck finding it.

I use it on my salmon reals, basically the main purpose is to help fill the spool so when you change your mono you need as much. I have never replaced my backing only the mono every year.

From the Islander site:

• Islander recommends filling two-thirds of the ARMR2 and MR2 spool with dacron or some similar backing before spooling on the monofilament to capacity. This is not necessary on the MR3 but is still an option.

I think you could probably fill a spool with mono cheaper than Dacron. Part of the reason I think it's use is encouraged on high end salmon reels is that as mono compresses it can put a lot of pressure on the drum. Drums can actually split from this stress. Dacron underneath mono is kind of there to ensure that the reel doesn't split from excess compression forces from the mono line. At least that's why I think it's use is encouraged by those expensive reel manufactures.

bang on with the right answer TBG also one thing it also helps with as a lot of guides or anglers tend to strip off a few yards each time for wear and tear, so say starting with 300yds at the beginning of the season may end up down to into 200+
or if you have that huge hog on and spools you then you know if backing starts coming off the reel its time to give chase....lol
not been so lucky to have that happen yet.
the older run of plastic mooching spools have been known to split

Backing will be larger diameter than mono, so you need far less of it to fill the bottom of your reel, and it doesn't degrade like mono under pressure. The same forces that make mono hard on reel spools is also hard on the underlying mono, thus you have to replace mono whether or not its been used once it's been compressed. As such, in the long-run, filling the bottom third of your large capacity reels is much cheaper to do with backing than w/ mono straight through. But, to each their own.

As a side note - high end reels are high end because the grade of aluminum and thickness/milling pattern are specifically designed to allow them to withstand mono compression and expansion. So, with high end reels if you want to fill your reel with 500yds of mono you can fly at it, with cheaper reels, you may warp or crack your spool.

Cheers!

Ukee

Great info here. I use backer and mono at present for many of the reasons discussed. I want to switch to braid with 100ft top shot of mono...so would you use backer as well? Curious what guys are doing?

Thanks for the answers guys, now where on the South Island can you get a spool if you want to spool your own reels?

Great info here. I use backer and mono at present for many of the reasons discussed. I want to switch to braid with 100ft top shot of mono...so would you use backer as well? Curious what guys are doing?
On my Abels I use backing, then 65# braid then a top shot of 30# mono. I love this set up. The mono is basically just to hold in the downrigger clips. Cheers

On my MR3's fully loaded with 30# mono. Reverse line on the spool using the other end that was on inside. Have had no issues.

If you use braid on your reels then backing is needed to fill out the spool because of the smaller diameter of the braid. I like the more direct feel of the braid, makes fishing deep a lot less of a guessing game. 30 ft of mono for the clip to grab and for a bit of forgiveness when the fish is close to the boat.

Back