Newbie reel question

RoadKing1956

When trolling for Salmon with downriggers on the west coast why use centerpin reels and not multiplier style reels like the guys further south do?
I’ve owned a mr3 and a mr2 and both have line creep.

Single action reels have become the personal preference for most BC fisherman. Yes, a multiplier reel is probably more efficient but whatever feels more natural to you is what you should use. I personally like to back off the drag on my reel and control the drag with finger pressure just like I do when river fishing using a centerpin reel. I know that when a fish decides to take that last run from right at the side of the boat I tend to lose less fish because I'm in total control of the drag pressure and not dependent on line stretch and rod action to absorb the shock.

I totally agree that single action reels are a lot of fun when you have a fish on - more like fly fishing
On the other hand I have a couple Penn multipliers bought by my Grandfather in the late 1940s, used by my Grandfather and my father. They both still work really well. I run one fairly often if trolling. I also love to get a fish on them, even if its not quite as nice of a tactile sensory experience. I am not sure there is an efficiency in catching fish argument that is convincing for either

When trolling for Salmon with downriggers on the west coast why use centerpin reels and not multiplier style reels like the guys further south do?
I’ve owned a mr3 and a mr2 and both have line creep.
It's a cultural thing, aesthetically pleasing. The direct feel of a single action reel is lovely, no denying that. Some fishers I know will switch to rods with overhead reels if they're fishing at or below 175-200 ft, because hooked salmon will mostly rocket to the surface, and the faster takeup of a geared reel helps keep tension on the fish. Using plugs down deep makes this even more important.

I can go either way. I like single action reels for trolling and mooching, but I jig for salmon with highly geared level wind reels. Both have their pros and cons.

It's a cultural thing, aesthetically pleasing. The direct feel of a single action reel is lovely, no denying that. Some fishers I know will switch to rods with overhead reels if they're fishing at or below 175-200 ft, because hooked salmon will mostly rocket to the surface, and the faster takeup of a geared reel helps keep tension on the fish. Using plugs down deep makes this even more important.

I can go either way. I like single action reels for trolling and mooching, but I jig for salmon with highly geared level wind reels. Both have their pros and cons.
Thank you.

I totally agree that single action reels are a lot of fun when you have a fish on - more like fly fishing
On the other hand I have a couple Penn multipliers bought by my Grandfather in the late 1940s, used by my Grandfather and my father. They both still work really well. I run one fairly often if trolling. I also love to get a fish on them, even if it’s not quite as nice of a tactile sensory experience. I am not sure there is an efficiency in catching fish argument that is convincing for either
Thank you

Single action reels have become the personal preference for most BC fisherman. Yes, a multiplier reel is probably more efficient but whatever feels more natural to you is what you should use. I personally like to back off the drag on my reel and control the drag with finger pressure just like I do when river fishing using a centerpin reel. I know that when a fish decides to take that last run from right at the side of the boat I tend to lose less fish because I'm in total control of the drag pressure and not dependent on line stretch and rod action to absorb the shock.
Thank you

Back