D.F.O Approved

Downchild

Front page of the North Shore News today. (Sunday)

DFO.jpg

Glad to see they are still using shopping carts.
Traditional, no. But a good adaptation to changing times.

That does not look much like traditional clothing, nor traditional net.
I really don't think the shopping cart is traditional either..

*Shakes head*

Come on guys , those are definately ancient , tribal and sacred shopping carts!

beemer

This is actually good to see. I would way rather them construct a wier than net the river. This is a good sight I think all first nations should go back to the traditional methods. Sure use a shopping cart nobody cares except the thrifties they stole it from. But please, do not use a gill or siene net that is the worst!

Glad to see they are still using shopping carts.
Traditional, no. But a good adaptation to changing times.

I guess that they are trying to catch a "Bag Of Groceries".

Somewhere along the line the double standard has got to Fawking stop. What's good for the Goose is good for the Gander. If it were traditional fishing they would go into the bush and gather sticks to fashion a "traditional" weir. None of us live like they did 100 or 200 or 300 years ago so WTF??? If it were to practice traditional methods and to teach or pass on cultural history for the younger generations to learn what they came from, then all the power to them, but do it all taditionally, no tarps, aluminum fish nets, and no obviously stolen shopping carts (those things are expensive, and I don't see a grocery store donating them to make a fish weir to fish "traditionally"). What the hell is this world coming to???? My bloody neck is getting sore from have to shake my head all of the time at this type of nonsense:mad:.

Yeah, the stolen shopping cart is a nice touch. Guess they overlooked that point when they took the pic.
They need to rename it "thanks for the weir, whitey"

That cart is worth a few bucks. It is a sad state to see that the owners of that piece of business, is an active part in this 'questionable' harvesting by a 'special' segment of our populace.

The problem here is strictly accountability. How many will they take before they quit? How much of the river is weired off? Who is checking to get an accurate count of how many they do take? What species are they after? The methods wouldn't bother me if they were accountable. Like said before way better than a net and no fossil fuels are being used.

Well, I try not to make a second post on a topic I have already made a comment on, however factious it may have been, but ....
lets be honest, the shopping cart and mini-weir depicted do a lot less harm to the run than the Capilano Dam a few miles upstream did (and on the Seymour River Dam too).
The hatchery on the Cap has perhaps mitigated the damage, or perhaps allowed the Gov. to say we are doing all we can, in a PR sort of way, but the natives depicted are only picking up a few fish in the grand scheme of things.
There is probably no one left alive (or records that show) who remembers what salmon returns were like before the dams were built.

Back