Cut polish

vanisland

Hey all, ive got a 17 double eagle, looking to get pretty much the whole boat cut and polished including the hull above the waterline, gunnels, transom well, back seat area, bow, and the gunnel sides. Got a quote for $600, just wondering if thats a good, high or average price? Thanks everyone.

Talk to tigerprawn hes done a few of the members boats including mine and does good work he is in sooke pm him

Reason im looking to have it done is I just dont have the time to do it myself right now. Also unsure about the process of wet sanding and if i need to do it or not.

Not rocket science. I use a good fine cut compound (Auto Glym) with a electric polisher and then wax by hand afterwards. I do small sections at a time over a period of a couple of weeks as I have time. I do this each spring and it brings the gel back to as close to new as possible.

Thanks for the help everyone, i've decided to do the job myself small parts at a time. I did one section on the interior around the transom area using 3m cutting compound with wool pad, then with a finishing polish on a microfiber pad. Could not believe how much of a difference it made! The spot I did looks as close to new as I think it can get. I'll have to post up some before and after pics when I get going on the rest of the boat. One other question I have is about patching holes that have been drilled in the fiberglass. Do I need to countersink the holes a bit before filling with a compound? Thanks

Vanisland, you do need to countersink holes prior to repair. Doing Vertical surfaces is a bit annoying. I mix the resin a bit hot, and ball up the glass and stuff it into the holes. If you try to just gelcoat holes it doesn't work on vertical surfaces. Horizontal surfaces however just put masking tape on bottom surface and fill.

Back