Cut plugin

Hammer

Something I really want to try this year having said that it would be done in a trolling presentation just wondering if there are any tips or tricks someone would like to share.i can slow my boat down to .5 mph if necessary flasher no flasher? Any help would be awesome Pm's are fine if you don't want to help openly I fish Lake Ontario on the north shore just want to see if fishing cut plug would entice some big boys to hit.
Thanks

[Te3nfXxIxN4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Te3nfXxIxN4

Last summer was my first time dedicating full days to cut plugs... It's definitely a fun way to fish. IMO you'll learn enough just from watching YouTube videos. One thing i had troubles with at first was getting all the guts out of herring... So the most helpful tip shown to me was to insert your bait knife all the way down and just out the butt of the herring lol... Then spin it around once or twice and it all comes out... Nice and tidy. Might seem dead simple to those that cut plug lots but this saved me lots of grief...

What would happen if you did not get all the guts out of a herring. Would it not wash out very quickly anyway. Thanks

It wont spin as nice and over time the guts come out the sides and make a mess. We used to fish the frozen one with the guts in. Best tip I have is to round of the end of your knife. Makes ofr easy cleaning out of the guts without poking through the sides. The other tip I have which adds up to many more fish in a season is to thread your bait with the trailing hook. You get alot more "nibbles" while the fish is playing with the bait before the cut plyg falls off. I have had Chinook paly with the bait for a couple minute before, and if they didnt get stung by the hook, they kept coming back.

I only take the guts out if the plug is not spinning properly. Guts in the belly cavity = more oil / more stink / more chum trail

Do you guys troll cut plug with flashers or clean? I am really going to give this an honest shot committing 4 rods 2 riggers 2 wire divers low and slow. I will post results on how this set up works on Lake Ontario just got my mitre box today the only thing that sucks is we still have 47 days before I start to pre fish for the 1st major event of the season.

no flashers... maybe a dummy at the ball...

Do you guys troll cut plug with flashers or clean? I am really going to give this an honest shot committing 4 rods 2 riggers 2 wire divers low and slow. I will post results on how this set up works on Lake Ontario just got my mitre box today the only thing that sucks is we still have 47 days before I start to pre fish for the 1st major event of the season.

No flashers. If anything, run a daisy chain below.

Good grief....what that guy doesn't know and doesn't mention.

Good grief....what that guy doesn't know and doesn't mention.

Totally........

The trick every one is missing... And I can't believe they put it in the video... The Tie dye shirt is the ticket...:cool:

Yo, Hammer, do what Yo Mama says. And if you want to really try a purer West Coast style use only 2 rods with single action reels, and a sliding ball weight on each. Then stop and play the fish while your partner clears the other rod. When I watch an Ontario trolling show, the multi rod setups and dragging in the fish while the other rods stay in the water, seems more like putting meat in the freezer than enjoying the fight of each fish. Downriggers do work too, as you know.

It wont spin as nice and over time the guts come out the sides and make a mess. We used to fish the frozen one with the guts in. Best tip I have is to round of the end of your knife. Makes ofr easy cleaning out of the guts without poking through the sides. The other tip I have which adds up to many more fish in a season is to thread your bait with the trailing hook. You get alot more "nibbles" while the fish is playing with the bait before the cut plyg falls off. I have had Chinook paly with the bait for a couple minute before, and if they didnt get stung by the hook, they kept coming back.

Sorry tub :D

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

Yo, Hammer, do what Yo Mama says. And if you want to really try a purer West Coast style use only 2 rods with single action reels, and a sliding ball weight on each. Then stop and play the fish while your partner clears the other rod. When I watch an Ontario trolling show, the multi rod setups and dragging in the fish while the other rods stay in the water, seems more like putting meat in the freezer than enjoying the fight of each fish. Downriggers do work too, as you know.

If you really want to try an even purer West Coast style:
1) Buy some very thick leather gloves.
2) Buy some 16 penny nails and sharpen the points to be razor sharp.
3) Buy some waders.
4) Push one nail out the end of each finger of the glove. Bend the nails slightly to mimick claws.
5) Put on the waders and wade out into the middle of a good rushing river during the peak of a salmon return.
6) Wait for salmon to leap out of the water and catch them "brown bear style".

Down riggers, fishing rod, hooks, bait and line are all for weenies. A real man catches his salmon by hand! ;)

On the other hand, if you actually want to catch fish on a regular basis....

yo mama's tip about the rounded knife point is a goodie. My bait knife had a broken tip I rounded. Didn't realize what I had until I was on a buddies boat and used his pointed knife. PITA, comparitively.

Thanks guys I will give er a shot minus the 2 rods mooching reels and stoppin the boat and let ya's know how I do:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not throw the head over the side anymore, I used to, but after catching a few springs wit just heads in their stomachs, I now throw them into a coffee can, and dump them on the way home. And I have caught springs using a dodger and a long leader.

Back