Cut Plug.....need input

M

MrSmiley

I am lookin for the best technique for cut plug herring rigs.Pics would be nice,LOL.Best size herring,leader length etc. any useful info is very much appreciated.

Thank you, I was hoping for an old pro to come out of the woodwork.I know them boys slay the big smileys.

There' a good video about cutplug mooching made locally. Can't remember the exact name of the clip but the two dudes in it are John and John. Motor mooching, how to cut up a plug, and tieing your own hooks.

thanks alot guys! I'm lovin it,all the tips are great.Definately going to check out the video.

I like to cut plug my frozen bait the night before and brine them so they are firm and the hooks won't tear out. Salmon University has how to cut plug and brine bait. I will fish a cut plug off a downrigger with or without a flasher like an anchovie.

Don't need Fluoro at all.
Salmon aren't at all leader shy not that I've found.
Plus I like a more flexible leader and Fluoro is stiff as a board/gnarly to tie knots in.

It's all about the roll, once you find it don't change it...-dirty

thanks guys,I am going to try the new flourescent colored hooks from gamakgatzu when cut plugging this year.I always use the red colored gamakgatzu as my stinger when tying my anchovy rig.

Great site yo mama,thanks.
Does anyone actually use the herring mitre box that you cut your plug in?

Mr. Smiley. The mitre box is a great way when your just starting out. You can experiment with your cuts until you get the one that you like. Some of the best fishermen I know still use the box though.

TT out

Thats good news to me then. My first few times I tried using a cut plug I cut them myself, Learned from watching other people doing it.

Hook placement can make or break the roll on a cut plug. You should also make your own leaders so you can get the right hook spread for the size of bait and where you place your hooks. Like everything in fishing, it's all about the details as far as how effective you will be. I tend to prefer lighter leaders for cut plugging; I think you get better action and on bright days fishing shallow I think it makes a difference. Best cut plug bait is fresh/live bait because they are bright and firm (jig for them if you can), otherwise brine frozen bait. Slow troll or mooch.

Deadly tip,thanks.
I tie my own leaders using 20lb mono. and use mustad black size#3,(subject to change) :)

C'ya on the water.

I find 20 lb Maxima Ultragreen is a good around leader wieght for cut plugging. 15 lb Ultragreen is even better on days fishing action is tough to find or when you are after coho/smaller fish. I like medium sized bait using 3/0 nickel Mustads or stainless 3/0 gammy's. Hooks got to be very sharp.

I really liked to use Gammy's but they dont hold up to the salt very well, they tend to lose thier finish and rust really quickly.Gammy's when new are absolutely the sharpest hook out there. Maxima ultragreen is great,the best all around line.

C'ya on the water.

Back