Crimping Fluorocarbon

Red Monster

Okay, who has any advise for crimping? I ordered some 50 pound Fluorocarbon with a diameter of .62 mm and figure the crimps pictured below would do the trick?

1615318646478.png

Why would you crimp?
Totally unnecessary.
Just use any number of standard mono knots.
Well, I tried about ten plus years ago to tie fluorocarbon and it didn't work very well: stiff and brittle it didn't last long.

Ok so i went HARD down this rabbit hole a few years ago. you can probably search the thread if you want. it’s on here somewhere.
Here are my thoughts on the subject
1- you need VERY good crimper like Dogbreath sed. Go with Jinkai crimps or something similar and also use their associated charts and crimps. The reason for this is this: I was using a generic crimper and i think i was using too much muscle and actually compressing the line too much. This resulted in the loss of two very large fish in one evening; including one that was tyee class.

2- chafe gear is also suggested. i was using a very small diameter tube that i would cut and then slip on before the crimp . the end results to the eye test looked amazing.
Problem? - after the two fish break off i didn’t trust anything i was doing and then went back to mono and knots. haven’t had any more issues since.

with fluoro conventional knots don’t always work; they will slip. A Uni knot works well and is super strong but with a knot that slides as you tighten, it can lead to some irregular leader length and is difficult to get it right on your desired length.

Basically i was tying to reinvent the wheel and reverted back to the standby.

found it

Well, I tried about ten plus years ago to tie fluorocarbon and it didn't work very well: stiff and brittle it didn't last long.
Use as much lubricant/spit as possible. If you're only tieing straight to a hook or swivel then look at the san Diego jam knot

For my application I prefer to use the crimps, way faster than hand tying. For several years I havnt had any problems.

Attachments

• 7DFA4416-8623-4F61-9E9B-BEA7443F1724.jpeg
    7DFA4416-8623-4F61-9E9B-BEA7443F1724.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1C0DA644-EFFC-4B76-8D86-728B6AE6DD6E.jpeg
    1C0DA644-EFFC-4B76-8D86-728B6AE6DD6E.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 56
I've been crimping 60 and 80 lb flouro on my hootchies for years and it works great. No breaks and you can catch multiple salmon and halibut before you need to change. Many trollers do not tie they crimp their hootchies. use the right crimp size and good crimpers and the crimp is stronger than any knot.

Burn the end of the line w/a crack torch after you make the crimp as a safety...
I have always had difficulty with knots holding with 40#+ Fluoro so, I don't use it and, it hasn't changed my catch rate

Not a fan of crimping fluoro. Have had too many fail. Knots for me. Maybe I’m just “knot” good at crimping but a knot doesn’t ever fail me.
The FG knot is 95% plus, relatively easy to tie, and unlike the double Uni or the Surgeon's knot does not make a lump that catches on the guides----plenty of videos on Youtube for instruction. I like the "clamp in your teeth" method for putting tension on the braid, I've tried several of the "no teeth" limp method and always come back to holding it in the mouth. I make 16 turns for my fg, some sites recommend 20 or 22 turns. I have never had a failure with 16 "turns", or twists. There is a 100% knot (GT knot) but it's hard to tie, at least for me, and it involves making a Bimini in the braid to start. The FG does not involve doubling over or looping the mono/fluoro leader. Only thing to be careful of is to pull ends HARD before making the Rizzuto or half-hitch finish, that makes the braid slightly dig into the leader, making it non-slip. I've seen tests where the braid always breaks before the knot breaks. Best used with 30-40# braid and 40-60# leader, not the best choice for light lines. There are some interesting new knots, like the SC knot and the GT and improved Bristol but I have not tested them. Alberto is well-rated, but a bit bulky.
Double Uni is the easiest, but not as strong, and somewhat prone to catching in the top guide. I have seen a video rating the best knots by breaking strength in 2 "chapters"---one for light line combos (10# braid, 20# fluoro) , and one for heavy lines, I"ll see if I can find that and post a link. Meantime, I'm pulling my rods out and taking off the mono leaders and re-tying after I reverse the braid----damn Covid has got me looking for projects while sitting home!!
I pray that the border will open for the Moutcha Bay kayak Derby in August!!

Here's a link to the Sportfishing Mag knot reviews: https://www.sportfishingmag.com/strongest-fishing-knots-braid-to-leader/

and another good article:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/

and for good measure: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/#braidtoleader

The FG knot is 95% plus, relatively easy to tie, and unlike the double Uni or the Surgeon's knot does not make a lump that catches on the guides----plenty of videos on Youtube for instruction. I like the "clamp in your teeth" method for putting tension on the braid, I've tried several of the "no teeth" limp method and always come back to holding it in the mouth. I make 16 turns for my fg, some sites recommend 20 or 22 turns. I have never had a failure with 16 "turns", or twists. There is a 100% knot (GT knot) but it's hard to tie, at least for me, and it involves making a Bimini in the braid to start. The FG does not involve doubling over or looping the mono/fluoro leader. Only thing to be careful of is to pull ends HARD before making the Rizzuto or half-hitch finish, that makes the braid slightly dig into the leader, making it non-slip. I've seen tests where the braid always breaks before the knot breaks. Best used with 30-40# braid and 40-60# leader, not the best choice for light lines. There are some interesting new knots, like the SC knot and the GT and improved Bristol but I have not tested them. Alberto is well-rated, but a bit bulky.
Double Uni is the easiest, but not as strong, and somewhat prone to catching in the top guide. I have seen a video rating the best knots by breaking strength in 2 "chapters"---one for light line combos (10# braid, 20# fluoro) , and one for heavy lines, I"ll see if I can find that and post a link. Meantime, I'm pulling my rods out and taking off the mono leaders and re-tying after I reverse the braid----damn Covid has got me looking for projects while sitting home!!
I pray that the border will open for the Moutcha Bay kayak Derby in August!!

Here's a link to the Sportfishing Mag knot reviews: https://www.sportfishingmag.com/strongest-fishing-knots-braid-to-leader/

and another good article:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/

and for good measure: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/#braidtoleader
Just ran across this one, tried it and liked it:

Okay, bought new fluorocarbon, crimps, crimper, snaps and swivels: quickly assembled some sweet rigs. I like it!

h2.jpgh1.jpgView attachment 63074h3.jpg

Last edited:
Back