Crimping Advice for Halibut Leaders

Highliner

I'm getting tired of trying to tie nice knots with 80 mono for my halibut leaders. I'm thinking that crimping may be the way to go for halibut rigs.

Any tips or advice on where to buy the necessary crimpers and sleeves (and which sleeves work best)? Seems like the price of some crimpers is rather high. I live in Victoria. Do they carry this kind of thing down at Trotac or do I need to be looking at a hardware store?

Thanks!

Go to somebody like PNT , Nikka, Redden Net, not sure about trotac or Harbour chandler. If you get into the crimping thing you can make your own custom release clips which are handy.

the green handled crimpers work really well albiet a little spendy plus they are carbon steel so they rust............braid makes a nicer ss set that is like 80-90$. These are the only way to crimp, I have been using them for years and never had one slip. Get the oval aluminum crimps size them so they just slide onto your leader. when you crimp you must orientate round edge of the oval in line with one of the three circular die on the crimper. You will have to play around with the die size as it is directly related to crimp size. When you crimp just squeeze untill the crimping tool frims up in your hand......too much force can weaken the line under the crimp. make sure you give them the pull test to make sure they don't slip. To take it one step further you can melt the tag end of the line into a little ball with a lighter so even if the crimp does slip the ball will stop the line from going through the crimp. I will never tie knots in anything larger than 60# now as crimps are clean and hold really nicely.

here is a good link on the subject

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/crimp_techniques.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a Boone kit at the Harbour Chandler for something like 69 bucks and it included the crimping tool and a nice little box of assorted crimps, ends, etc. I buy replacement crimps and mono at PNT.

That's a great link Mike! Thanks.

I just use a piece of tuna chord...

Highliner: I bought a pair of P-Line crimpers at Trotac this spring for $35 approximately (they work great for heavy leaders and re-doing release clips). They accommodate three sizes of aluminum crimps, the largest slot does 300 lb. P-Line mono, the middle does 150 lb. mono, I'm not sure what test the smallest one does. See Paul, Mike, or Trevor and they can set you up.

...Rob

Highliner: I bought a pair of P-Line crimpers at Trotac this spring for $35 approximately (they work great for heavy leaders and re-doing release clips). They accommodate three sizes of aluminum crimps, the largest slot does 300 lb. P-Line mono, the middle does 150 lb. mono, I'm not sure what test the smallest one does. See Paul, Mike, or Trevor and they can set you up.

...Rob

Perfect! Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

Back