Halibut Seminar

Thanks Rollie! Great event for a great cause! And I will remember it next winter when I am on my cruise through the Carribean Sea..lol Double thanks!

Chris, you can thank my wifes bro-inlaw for that prize. If you have any questions let me know. It is open ended until you fill out that form and register it....then you have 2 years to take the trip. BTW u should really phone up Gord and offer to take him with you...he really wanted to win that. You would have 5 days to feed him booze and get some hali way points!!!! lol

That's a great idea for getting the hali honeyholes however feeding Gord 5 days with booze will cost me more than buying an entire cruise ship...lol

Cudos to Rollie, Gord, and the other speakers for a great event. Really a top notch job through and through.

My applause to you gentleman!

....and remember, if you take anything from the event, LOW HEAT! haha...really enjoyed the 1hr culinary course. Not only helped the cooking of my fish, but did one hell of a steak last night thanks to the Chef!

Got more than I bargained for with the price of admission!

-FB

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job to all the organizers. Some good learning, connect with some friends, and raise a bunch of $ for a good cause.

Funny, thought the culinary/food prep part of the day might be something to skip, but had to stick around for the raffle ... and it ended up being one of the highlights, learned a bunch of helpful tips. But didn't win the raffle. Ah well... 10 days til open season.

Funny because I mentioned to Gord later that I seen more people taking notes during the Chefs presentation than I did for the other speakers. I learned the same as I think many did...LOW HEAT....damn...means more time this time of the year standing in the dark and cold around the barbi. Also was interesting to hear someone explain why quick freezing produces a better product. Never knew the science of it before that talk. Maybe a Sushi Chef is in order for the Tuna seminar.

I always thought the flash freezing was to kill parasites in the meat, not to preserve the cellular and inter-cellular water molecules from being drawn out of the meat during a slow freeze, which is in fact the reason of a flash freeze for top quality meat. (ahem, note taker here...)

Worth noting for all. Do not stack your fresh fish to leave (a mistake I've made)...you want the fish to freeze as fast as possible so exposing 100% of the surface area to the surrounding freezer is best.

I really liked Gord as a speaker. Straight and to the point, with a no ******** kind of attitude. "I like to do as much damage to them as possible" (in regards to harpooning)...."It's fun to hold onto the rope and let them fight you, forget the bouy!"

He had mentioned his choice of harpoon tip was the arrowhead style...seems to be a harder style to come by, but with a little research online, I came across this site....pretty awesome, but pricey harpoons. The tips are $55 each and made of stainless steel. I think Gord mentioned his harpoon tip was cast aluminum so this Stainless arrowhead tip should inflict that much more damage over time!

Happy Pooning!

ARROWHEAD HARPOON TIPS:

http://www.blueoceantackle.com/harpoons.htm

Low heat may be good on the west coast, but I grew up on a ranch in beef country--If it ain't bleeding in your plate-you are eating an unfinished shoe! LOL

Low heat may be good on the west coast, but I grew up on a ranch in beef country--If it ain't bleeding in your plate-you are eating an unfinished shoe! LOL

The steak I cooked on low heat probably had more blood on the plate than the normal seared steak I cook. Couldn't tell ya why but its the truth!

He had mentioned his choice of harpoon tip was the arrowhead style...seems to be a harder style to come by, but with a little research online, I came across this site....pretty awesome, but pricey harpoons. The tips are $55 each and made of stainless steel. I think Gord mentioned his harpoon tip was cast aluminum so this Stainless arrowhead tip should inflict that much more damage over time!

Happy Pooning!

ARROWHEAD HARPOON TIPS:

Try Trotac next time on the rock. I haven't looked this season, but they had them there last season... certainly less than $55 ea. You can sure get those arrowheads sharp!
However I have only seen the brass tips.

Yup. I was down there yesterday and they had them. ALWAYS get the type that can be quickly detached. Undo and pull all the way through.

Happy Pooning!

ARROWHEAD HARPOON TIPS:

Oh my goodness! Check out the Tuna Missiles at the bottom of the page. Those things are friggin nuts.

Try Trotac next time on the rock. I haven't looked this season, but they had them there last season... certainly less than $55 ea. You can sure get those arrowheads sharp!
However I have only seen the brass tips.

As far as I know brass cannot be treated (metallurgically speaking) like stainless can. I would bet you get at least 2.5x the working life stainless to brass tip. Great that they are available locally though, no matter the material.

PNT should stock some stainless tips ;) Welcome back Rob
or Trotac

Been using the brass one now for about 8 years works JUST great wouldnt go back to a straight shaft on ever

Given the larger flat side of the brass ones, they have, IMO, far superior holding power.

Back