Creel surveys

I have not been interviewed by a creel surveyor in the past month or more.

This is a bit disconcerting given they are "Supposed" to use the surveys to estimate catch rates.

Has anyone experience consistent surveying on the south island as of late?

two years ago in Vancouver I talked to the Creel survey guy that had done it for years and he said a lot of the funding was cut for it. Have not seen him now for two years,

This is another one of the things the SFAC have been asking for years, use the funding from our fishing licences and do something to help our fishery.

This is just DFO once again ignoring us

Saw them a few times in spring (pedder) havent since them once in july or aug in sooke

Haven’t been checked once. Hugo (creel survey guy) passed away, I wonder if he wasn’t replaced.

yup two different ones working UKEE harbour. Ive been interviewed 3 times so far, There is one guy working bamfield

I’ve been checked quite a bit at Tulista in sidney.
They’ve been nice enough and have had scales and fins taken for testing.

We got creel surveyed we went fishing in port Hardy and port McNeil in July.

Not once in Vancouver at the launches they have been in the past.

Think they may of been hitting some areas hard for DNA

Lots last year at French Creek, only once so far this year but was checked twice in two weeks by fisheries (nice guy).

Everyday in Port Renfrew as well. They usually have two people doing and try and time it when most guides come in which keeps them more than busy. I was only checked twice this year but don't usually fish to any sort of schedule so I'm usually done before they start or after they are off.

Lots in hardy and wanting DNA ... I assume to get one positive Fraser so they can shut more down

No you accomplish that by pushing back on data. No comment on that one. If we ever go to court we are going to need it. Look at the areas that resist, and don't do it. How is that working?

Also remember that WCVI was closed by minister. It took being armed with DNA data to force minister to open a 1Nm surfline in some areas. As much as data is scary we have to do it, and also give info to creel.

When you see areas that push back hard not to give data vs areas that do you can see a very big difference IMHO. Port Hardy did get screwed, but so did all of Georgia Straight. At least Sutil north was open.

Last edited:
It is my concern that we will get shut down or limited more due to the lack of info. Managing to the abundance of Caution is the mantra. The current method of politics over science based decisions we need as much info as possible. the problem of course they are in charge of info gathering.

I love the creel data presented in the winter 2017 SFAB meeting from DFO showing 6 halibut and 10 Ling Cod caught off Nanaimo in December... With data like that collected from a DFO employed Creel surveyor, our fishery is in good hands.

Hang on to your boot laces next year folks! All spring during the closure I hit around 1 in 15 wild to hatchery fish. These are these unmarked Fraser fish that they are worried about. Meaning they are practically gone. The Fraser Sockeye has been reduced to a rounding error despite no fishing for 2 cycles. Been told by a DFO officer in Sooke that they are late and still coming. They are never late.

Looks to be the perfect pretext for a closure. Not enough data to indicate health of early timed fish (Near no one fishing April to July), sorry boys, gotta shut 'er down. They want DNA? Why is the Avid Angler DNA still in the freezer beside the Pop Tarts and Bacardi mix? 4000+ Samples. Yep.

There will never be a court challenge. Ten years of trying to organize rec fishers (SFI, SVIAC, WCGA, BCWF and several other hard working groups) has shown there is just no power behind it. The greenies can get their limitless money behind the natives and steamroll anything we can lay down.

Every days we were in port hardy in July we got creel surveyed and DNA. Same at the Port Mcneill launch.

Not sure how they can have a lack of data when the got just about every fish brought in.

All that lovely area 19 Avid Angler DNA data that did not get analyzed. Catch data showing Ling Cod and Halibut landed in Nanaimo in December? Perhaps it had not been "edited". Creel guy not at the dock taking advantage of little boat traffic that month maybe?

When i was at the port mcneill, Talked to the creel survey girl and she said most of the chinook brought in that day were over the 80cm slot. She said they do not report it to C&P because they don't want people to refused to get surveyed and skew the results.

During pink season in 2015 in vancouver, the guy in front of me had 3 undersize chinook that he thought were pinks. Asked the creel survey guy about it and he said the same response. He says he just lets them know/records it but does not report it.

I love the creel data presented in the winter 2017 SFAB meeting from DFO showing 6 halibut and 10 Ling Cod caught off Nanaimo in December... With data like that collected from a DFO employed Creel surveyor, our fishery is in good hands.

Hang on to your boot laces next year folks! All spring during the closure I hit around 1 in 15 wild to hatchery fish. These are these unmarked Fraser fish that they are worried about. Meaning they are practically gone. The Fraser Sockeye has been reduced to a rounding error despite no fishing for 2 cycles. Been told by a DFO officer in Sooke that they are late and still coming. They are never late.

Looks to be the perfect pretext for a closure. Not enough data to indicate health of early timed fish (Near no one fishing April to July), sorry boys, gotta shut 'er down. They want DNA? Why is the Avid Angler DNA still in the freezer beside the Pop Tarts and Bacardi mix? 4000+ Samples. Yep.

There will never be a court challenge. Ten years of trying to organize rec fishers (SFI, SVIAC, WCGA, BCWF and several other hard working groups) has shown there is just no power behind it. The greenies can get their limitless money behind the natives and steamroll anything we can lay down.

Strongly disagree. We need data, and need to move forward. We don't we will be closed with no opportunities left.

If SFI and all the groups you mentioned have no power than I suggest you start to learn what they are doing on weekly basis. I don't see that myself, but then again try to get informed what is happening in each area not just my own. 1000 ft view not just 100.

Last edited:
Back