Cracked prop shaft housing- weld?

fishinforever

Anyone have any experience welding a cracked lower unit? Just wondering if it’s worth giving it a shot here. The crack is on the shaft housing

Attachments

• 2F92A025-ECE6-4ACA-90D6-7543FE701B50.png
    2F92A025-ECE6-4ACA-90D6-7543FE701B50.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 155
I think that part is called the bearing carrier? It spins out of the gear case, with the proper tool, if it isn’t corroded. A new prop shaft seal and carrier would be the proper fix.
Did you hit something? Prop damage?
I wonder if your output/prop shaft is bent?

It’s in the shop right now, it is the bearing carrier But I’ve been told the part is on back order now. I’ll try to get another picture today. There is no damage to the shaft or gears. Thanks guys

Very odd place for salt to build up to the point to crack it....
It’s in the shop right now, it is the bearing carrier But I’ve been told the part is on back order now. I’ll try to get another picture today. There is no damage to the shaft or gears. Thanks guys
What Model is the motor?

So hard to see from that pic, almost looks like the thrust washer is the problem.. I'm certain there's a seal where that cracked. Not repairable at that point. Well maybe.

What engine

It’s a 2018 200hp Suzuki
You should be able to have that welded up and machined back out to the seal size. Totten Welding and Andersen Precision(If you're in Saanich) should have that taken care of for about $300 or so.... Interesting place for damage though. Salt buildup on outside of seal maybe?

A new bearing carrier would be preferred obviously, but this will get you back on the water a lot quicker if its back-ordered.

You should be able to have that welded up and machined back out to the seal size. Totten Welding and Andersen Precision(If you're in Saanich) should have that taken care of for about $300 or so.... Interesting place for damage though. Salt buildup on outside of seal maybe?

A new bearing carrier would be preferred obviously, but this will get you back on the water a lot quicker if its back-ordered.
Thanks for that.Right now I think im just going to try to replace the leg, then worry about fixing the cracked one. Fingers crossed I can track one down. Time being the other issue as I’m going to bamfield next weekend

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated folks. I made more than a dozen calls today and couldn’t track down a counter rotating extra long shaft leg. Saving gas money this week anyways

Update: prop shaft was bent and cracked the housing. Told the wife she must’ve hit something while I was hanging out with the baby. Insurance claim in and prayers on a new leg pick up tomorrow in time for bamfield Thursday

Not sure the entire lower until needs to be replaced. If you haven't already, connect with Breakers in Port Alberni. They have a lot of spare stuff in the bone yard. Prop shaft is a common repair with all the logs in the canal, so they generally have a lot of the usual parts.

Back