Crabbing near Bamfield

Slabby20

Never tried doing any crabbing in Bamfield / Barkley Sound. Is it worth while to take a couple crab cages up to Bamfield in August? A couple of my friends said it was a waste of time as there aren't many crabs in the area. Just looking for some feedback as to whether they are right.

I tried twice in Ucluelet Inlet. Had my traps stolen both times. Left a sour taste in the old mouth, so to speak. I have never tried in the Bamfield area, so I can not help much. Good luck if you decide to try. [8D]

Pretty Rocky around Bamfield - Dungy's like soft (mud or sand).

We soaked pots there for a week about 14days ago with zero luck.

One guy I spoke with was Mr. Zipper Lips so I am guessing there little crab available close in as most people will readily share crab locations information.

The big bank I bet would have good crab - 250ft of line and the a hauler would be all you need. :)

If you want good crabbing near Bamfield try Pachena bay, about 15 years ago we sat there on a troller and caught over 40 crabs in an afternoon just pulling the same two traps every hour.

Thanks Herronjoe. I was wondering about Pachina Bay since it's one of the few sandy areas around Bamfield. Last time I was in there I seem to remember a lot of eel grass. It may be worth dropping the pots there one day and see what happens. It's hard to beat fresh crab back at camp.

Pachena Bay is a good spot for crabs. A couple of things to watch out for.

1. At high tide it looks like you can go a long way in, but there is a very long shallow flat that you won't know about until it is too late if you don't watch your sounder very closely and go slow.

2. If you are planning on leaving your traps overnight, there is a good chance that they will be either pilfered or taken altogether. This has happened to me and others I know on more than one occasion.

Good Luck

Pachena Bay is GREAT for crab.

Like Baddog says though, pay attention.

There is some actual crabbing done right in Bamfield inlet if you follow it down to the end. I haven't done it, but some locals I know go there.

Also, the mouth of the Sarita river is very good, wouldn't leave the traps over night though.

I have even caught some off one of the sandy beaches on the south side of Tzartus Island.

Tapaltos bay (off Whittlestone) can be a producer at times, but if they aren't there they just aren't.

Was there on the weekend caught no fish but had tons of crab for supper each night!

Back