Crabbing in Sooke Basin

pdbob

Hey guys, looking to head down to the Sooke basin to hang out with some family. If we can manage to bypass the cold weather, we might try a little crabbing. I'm not sure how the weather or how the currents are there is right now, but is it possible to head out on a little inflatable dinghy? Also, are there any tips for crabbing there or just drop it anywhere past 25 feet?

Lastly, is there even any crabs there right now? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

About a half dozen seals follwed me around the whole day... Two weeks ago. Have fun if you aren't using commercail traps.

which marina you gong to use that would help???

I have not been out crabbing in the basin for past week or so. Was getting a few along the spit, where the salt water is not diluted or at the near edge of the flats. Salmon fishing in area has been quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, no Marina, just staying in a house by East Sooke around the comfort cove cottage area i see on google map.

I'm not sure I'd want to be rowing around the Sooke Basin in a"little inflatable dinghy"stacked with crab traps - regardless of the weather you could end-up as food for otter!!

I've seen guys in kayaks doing exactly that!

And kayaks have also turned up with nobody in them.

pdbob - This time of year the Sooke crab fishing is usually pretty good. Once the Summer roles around with more sports traps down and the commercial boys have been at it for a while, you will catch a lot more undersized and females.

I have seen people with waders crab fishing the flat area beside the mouth of the Sooke River - no boat or traps just a dip net on a pole. Just dont fill up your waders with water and drown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for the tip guys, my little dinghy isn't actually that little but well see how it goes. Fits 2 people and 4 traps easily, just not sure how bad the currents are inside the basin.

Because the gap at the en of the spit is relatively narrow and not too deep, the current moves. The high and low tides are delayed about one hour. The current is considerably stronger along the east side of the basin. When I was out agree the other day, a couple guys were coming across the flats standing and paddling on surf boards without effort. You should not have any difficulty.

I've had better luck their on the Flood tide as the water fills the basin. 30 feet is the ticket. By the spit is a good spot; I haven't done as well farther into the basin.

Used to get some really large ones where that old tug was but it sure got touchy at times. One hand on the throttle and one pulling line!

Back