Crabbing In Dec?

TelStar26

Hey guys. Ive got the itch for a crab cake or two! I dont crab often and have no records of previous years. Can anybody tell me if theres any decent females out there right now. I know some times all you catch is females, but I dont know what time of year that is. I plan to throw a trap in in the sooke harbour.
Thanks for any help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
No keeping females and supposedly the months with "r" in them is good crabbing. Just cold as f@$k.

This past year has been the worst crabbing in the last 10 years.
i'm not sure if it's ocean conditions, or over fishing but it's bad.
all we seem to catch are under size and females.
very few male.:(

I was out last month lots of keeper males. Easy limit. I expect you'll get some.

we always crabbed in Oak Bay in the winter, and did exceptionally well for large keepers. Nothing special other than chicken necks from Fairway Markets...

Was out Sunday (Dec 23) for crab near Sidney Spit...pretty slow although we did keep 5 which were all solid and large. Considering we only used two traps for two pulls with 30 min soaks each pull I guess I shouldn't complain.

the r in the month was used for clams oysters crabs before freezing meant no shellfish in summer they spoil quickly

Thanks, I had always heard that but still had good crabbing otherwise.
Learn something new every day!
the r in the month was used for clams oysters crabs before freezing meant no shellfish in summer they spoil quickly

Back