Crabbing and Prawning in Sooke

Michael

Hi,
we just moved to Sooke three weeks ago from Alberta and I would like to learn more about crabbing and prawning.
What is the best way to learn what to do and where to go?
I have a little 14' Naden with outboard, but am overwhelmed with all the traffic and regulations that I didn't use it yet.

Thanks for any help/tips,
Michael

Hi,
we just moved to Sooke three weeks ago from Alberta and I would like to learn more about crabbing and prawning.
What is the best way to learn what to do and where to go?
I have a little 14' Naden with outboard, but am overwhelmed with all the traffic and regulations that I didn't use it yet.

Thanks for any help/tips,
Michael

Crabbing in the harbour is hit and miss. Long soaks with good bait should reward you.

Prawning....trailer your boat to Saanich Inlet. It`s my understanding that the currents are too strong to prawn in jdf strait.

Welcome to the BC. Enjoy the radness!

Dave S pretty much nailed it... Welcome to Sooke you'll love it here... just don't tell anyone ;)

Thank you Dave S and Lippy.
I will keep learning and head out as soon as I feel comfortable.

Michael

Hey Michael......try using the "advanced search" function on the site as well in the upper left hand corner of the screen. There is a TON of prawning/crabbing info in the archives on this site for you to read. You'll see in the search options you have a number of queries you can choose from but to narrow it down search prawn or crab in "Titles Only" and read til your heart's content.

Listen to the locals when it comes to negotiating the spit as the area can be dangerous.

Back