crabbin saanich inlet

P

PinchMe

any1 out there willing to give up good crabbing spots in the saanich inlet?
thought there may be some good spots west side mill bay entrance?
i prawn the inlet NE of tsartlip reserve and bamberton at approx 200-250' using cdn tire pellets with success, but haven't had much luck with crab yet...

Edited by - pinchme on 04/14/2006 08:34:13

there isn`t much in the way of crab in mill bay

tight lines

there isn`t much in the way of crab in mill bay

tight lines

I think your going to have to head north to cow bay. Although, maybe the end of the inlet where gold stream dumps in might have some as they are usually found at fresh water sources on flat bottoms?

To fish or not to fish,
What a stupid question!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and he will sit on a boat drinking beer for a life time :D
TGIF =Thank God It Floats

The commercial crab boys have traps from Whiskey point, to cherry Pt.I have done well with Dungees out deep in the two small bays down from whiskey pt, towards Cow Bay side. in 85-125 feet of water.It is sandy and full of eel grass.

We spent some time last year searching around the area south of the Goldtsream Boathouse Marina, with no luck. There were a number of other traps there also, but didn't see anyone get anything...

Paul

Thank you Mad, Scotty, Ned and Carter, your responses are appreciated by this neophyte poster!
I'll give Cow Bay a shot and respond back with the results, should be headed out next couple weeks or so.

yup, Cow Bay side just past the fuel tanker dock in the Bay is where the crabbin is. great prawning too so far this season in the inlet, how about others? pulling the boat at Brentwood, couple guys were complaining about two stolen prawn traplines, others?

It is hard to miss the crabbing spots as you come into Cow Bay from the south. This is the time of year for crabbing there. I prawn in the inlet as well and have lost traps two years ago, however, I dropped in a place where they may have drifted on me; or maybe I lost them for some other reason. I don't leave my prawn traps out for too long and try to keep an eye on them. I think some spots may be more prone for lost than others. I would learn a few prawning spots well, learn the technique and check on them as frequently as possible.

Back