Engine died... ka-ching$, ka-ching$

P

PinchMe

Well my trusty mule finally packed it in.
I own a 2000 18' Crestliner, powered by a Volvo Penta 3.0 GL 4 cyl, with VP SX leg. Never given me a lick of trouble in the past.
On Saanich Inlet last Sunday crabbing, engine overheated to 210dF. Thank you again to the gentlemen who provided me with a willing tow back to Tsartlip Reserve launch.
Fired it up back home to see if I could flush the saltwater, wouldn't turn over... water in the cylinders.
So, next day, quickly delivered boat to Sea Power Marine in Sidney, where the engine now lies in pieces.
Verdict and lesson learned; remove and inspect exhaust manifold and risers/elbow at least every two years for deterioration. Impellor every year, even twice a year depending on useage.
It's looking like a $3,500 bill for new exhaust manifold, riser, impellor, leg bellows, new oil all around, misc parts and installation. Had the engine block pressure tested and head removed and tested... no damage thank God! New engine would have set me back $10,000.
Another $1,400 to install kicker and bracket.
Should be back in the water next weekend, weather willing!
My wife says if if I can spend that kind of money on a hobby, she'll be off to Paris with same amount... can't blame her!
Thought I would share my tale of woe... which could have been worse!
PinchMe:)

Riser and manifold can be replaced by yourself very easily for a few hundred (I paid $200 for the manifold last summer). It's 4 bolts to the engine and 4 more between the carb and the manifold. Just thought I'd let you know incase your at all inclined...could save $1000.

Just out of curiousity, is the boat stored in a heated garage? If not, and the water wasn't drained from the manifold, the cold snap we had recently may have cracked the manifold.

Backatit - I'm not mechanically inclined enough to tackle this job. I would rather leave it to the professionals, and pay for the service and a guarantee.
My mechanic advised me it's okay to run pink, non-toxic RV antifreeze through the leg until the exhaust port water turns pink. I've done this for the last two Winters with no ill effects, no heated garage.
Have you heard if this method is trustworthy?
I use my boat every chance I can throughout the Winter, so it's tuff to fully winterize after each trip.
No crack in manifold. Rather the cast iron manifold had actually corroded, forming a gap at the riser gasket resulting in leakage.
Is it true average life of an exhaust manifold/riser is 3-5 years? I run in salt and fresh, but always flush after salt? Can't vouch for the first 4 years, as I've only owned it for the last 3.
PinchMe

Totally understandable to get it professionally done. I have heard of using antifreeze, but can't vouch for it myself as I've never done it. My new manifold has a plastic wing-nut that can be removed by hand to drain the water...takes about 10 seconds if I remember to do it. Had my boat in the lake for a little polar bear wakeboarding on Wednesday (never been so cold in my life!), didn't drain it and it was frozen solid Thursday morning.
My engine was only 3 years old, never in salt until I bought the boat it at the begining of last year...and the manifold had corroded right through. Noticed water in my oil the night before a trip to China Creek in August[V]. Made me glad I check my oil before each trip.

There will aways be a peoblem where you are talking about usually you get 5 to 7 years out of the manifolds and risers but what i used to do every year was take out that huge frost plug the one where a 3/8 extension fits into and take them out and flush all the corroded slag out of it and if your storing it outside pull out the brass pugs on the bottom of your manifolds and I used to put a 40 watt trouble light into there under the dog house.

Yes it sucks you had to pay 3500 bucks for an upgrade can you imagine if it were an outboard and you were looking at 20,000 thats is one good thing I like about inboards.

Good luck Wolf

Back